Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I think that Brossoit will get a lot more than 2.55M. I'd say somewhere between 3.5M-4.5M. The cap is going up, more teams are running tandems, and there aren't enough goalies to go around.

I think we may have to settle for someone like Gustavsson, Knight, etc. Where they are slightly overpaid and come with risk, but we fail to get a legitimate top goalie, and we're unlikely to attract Stolarz or Broissoit.

Pesce is getting a lot more than 5.75M. Roy at 5.75M could be an overpayment depending on the terms of the contract, so that is probably realistic considering we're not a high profile free agent destination.

I could see Tanev in that spot for similar money, but we outbid other teams on term. something like 5.5-6.0 million, but he gets 3 or 4 years, a NTC, and some signing bonuses. Something stupid that he couldn't refuse. If other teams are going 2 years 5.5, we're going 3 years 5.75, etc.
I gave Brossoit Forsberg type money. Just providing an explanation.

As for RD, something like $5.75 m x 4 years is what I had in mind. That could be sufficient for some of free agent RDs that are available (Roy, Tanev, etc.).

In the end, all anyone can do is provide an estimate.

I see posts with rather long lists of players that the poster would add, but once you put a 22-player roster with salaries together with everything included, those theories tend to fall apart rather quickly. So, one of the main goals is to just provide some perspective. In some cases, the player suggested could be a placeholder and could be substituted with another player. The key is to show what kind of money is available/possible for each position within the framework of a complete, cap compliant roster.

Go ahead and go through the exercise yourself and see what you come up with.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
How you go about this is by dumping two contracts and taking a pick in the early 20’s. Dump Joseph to go from 7 to 15 and take Laughton as the prize. Trade from 15 to 22-26 and dump forseberg and grab a piece. Trade zub and chych as they hold value. You clear some cap. Get some pieces. Retain 2 chances at rebuilding your prospect pool.
If you trade Zub you are looking at the softest D corpse in history

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Not sure if anyone else mentioned it, but Korpi legitimately might need glasses or laser eye, and is being told to get refitted for his helmet.

Like Andlauer and Staios are pissed about it.

Was a really off the cuff comment that got passed along, but legitimate frustration it sounds like.
That's soooo Ottawa Senators to have a number 1 goalie that cannot see properly lol

Thanks for the info btw

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Serious question that I'm asking strictly out of curiosity:

Do you guys believe that by swapping Chychrun for Roy/Pesce, Tarasenko for Labanc and Forsberg for Brossoit that this will be a playoff team?

I feel like there's still so many question marks there. Norris more likely than not just another year of getting back to speed and/or more injuries. I would say it's more likely he gets injured again than not to one of his shoulders. Giroux getting older. The 4rth line essentially same as last year. The goaltending is still a question mark. Chabot/Zub having their yearly injuries. Not much more "leadership" than last year in that group either.

One of the biggest issues with this team is there's no depth anywhere. When the inevitable injuries come this team gets exposed more than they should. The top end is good, but not good enough to overcome the lack of support at the bottom of the lineup. The goalies will not save us. It's too easy to neutralize this team the way it's contructed.

Most teams that are in a similar position to us (I.E. coming out of a long rebuild) still have young players coming in that can solidify the depth either at forward or on D. This team doesn't have many of those pieces coming. If we count Kleven in the lineup, it's probably Ostapchuk and that's it. On a good team Greig or Joseph are playing 3rd or 4rth line minutes. At least one of those guys will be playing in the top 6 every night. Teams like Buffalo and Detroit are at a similar place to us in their rebuilds but have a lot more coming in the pipeline.

For the record, I think this might be the most reasonnable/realistic lineup prediction I've seen here. I would not be surprised at all if the lineup looks like this come October. Obviously maybe not the exact same names but structurally it seems like the most likely scenario. I think this roster screams bubble team for now and for the next few years. No way this roster actually competes for a cup in the next 3-4 years IMO.
To answer your question, I think our RD situation and better goaltending will give us some kind of boost. How much of a boost is another matter. The goaltending is still an open question. If Korpisalo is part of 1a/1b tandem, then who knows.

I wonder if the players can play much better team D while still scoring at a decent enough of rate to win games. We don’t have a lot of info to go on when it comes to that, and that’s not the style of hockey they’ve played in the past.

As for injuries, I assume that there will always be some and we’ll rarely ever dress a lineup with all of our best players in it.

Each off-season when we try to project how successful we will be, a lot of people tend to think that our competitors will remain static (i.e., Detroit got past us this year, Philadelphia improved, etc.). Then there’s the idea that Boston will fall of a cliff which seems to be the annual summer prediction for the last several years.

Anyhow, I could see us improving somewhat, but still miss out on the playoffs. Time will tell and hope for the best I suppose.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I gave Brossoit Forsberg type money. Just providing an explanation.

As for RD, something like $5.75 m x 4 years is what I had in mind. That could be sufficient for some of free agent RDs that are available (Roy, Tanev, etc.).

In the end, all anyone can do is provide an estimate.

I see posts with rather long lists of players that the poster would add, but once you put a 22-player roster with salaries together with everything included, those theories tend to fall apart rather quickly. So, one of the main goals is to just provide some perspective. In some cases, the player suggested could be a placeholder and could be substituted with another player. The key is to show what kind of money is available/possible for each position within the framework of a complete, cap compliant roster.

Go ahead and go through the exercise yourself and see what you come up with.
I like to use the AFPAnalytics projections for unknown contracts. They have historically been fairly accurate.

For reference,

Broissoit 2.138 M x 2yrs
Roy 5.823 m x 5 yrs
Pesce 6.262 m x 5 yrs
Tanev 4.446 m x 3 yrs
Pinto 4.437 m x 4yrs or 2.5 m x 2 yrs
Labanc .893 m x 1 yr

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I like to use the AFPAnalytics projections for unknown contracts. They have historically been fairly accurate.

For reference,

Broissoit 2.138 M x 2yrs
Roy 5.823 m x 5 yrs
Pesce 6.262 m x 5 yrs
Tanev 4.446 m x 3 yrs
Pinto 4.437 m x 4yrs or 2.5 m x 2 yrs
Labanc .893 m x 1 yr
Thanks for the info.

I’m a little over on some players, and little under on a few. Overall, I think it balances out and I’m fairly close.

Mostly, I am just trying to provide perspective. I see a lot micro view posts that suggest a bunch of players that the poster would like to add. I use the ideas that are suggested and/or are the most popular, and then generate the spreadsheet with a “complete” roster & salaries. Realism versus fantasy I suppose, but the fantasy approach could be more popular.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for the info.

I’m a little over on some players, and little under on a few. Overall, I think it balances out and I’m fairly close.

Mostly, I am just trying to provide perspective. I see a lot micro view posts that suggest a bunch of players that the poster would like to add. I use the ideas that are suggested and/or are the most popular, and then generate the spreadsheet with a “complete” roster & salaries. Realism versus fantasy I suppose, but the fantasy approach could be more popular.
Yeah, I wasn't meaning to criticize your estimates, more just to provide a resource for the future. I figure you have to add 5-10% or an extra year in Ottawa Tax.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
They do. It was reported several years ago that Anderson had significantly better than 20/20 eyesight in the fall physicals. iirc, there was another player on the team that had jaw-dropping reaction time on the reflexes testing.

I'm sure the info is buried on this site somewhere.
Training camp 2013 from SensTV, no longer exists though. Also can't remember who you're talking about in regards to reaction time.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Yeah, I wasn't meaning to criticize your estimates, more just to provide a resource for the future. I figure you have to add 5-10% or an extra year in Ottawa Tax.
I actually didn’t think you were criticizing and appreciate the suggested website - good to know.

I think my post was more of an evaluation of my own estimating, and an explanation of my motivation for generating these spreadsheets.

Reactions: Micklebot

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I really don't understand it, I legit would likely rather just keep Joseph than Laughton

Only difference between the players is one is a winger and the other is a center with an extra 3 years of age and experience

I mean, Joseph had 7 more ES points this year in 10 less games, and he never had a sinlge point in his last 12 (which is an outlier, not a norm)
It's as simple as getting an experienced vet who has the leadership skills to help the group, it's not about production.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
No, it raises the question why so many posters believe such a dumb rumour
There’s probably SOME truth in there but generally it seems the large majority of people will believe absolutely anything. In a time when people should be more skeptical than ever.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
How you go about this is by dumping two contracts and taking a pick in the early 20’s. Dump Joseph to go from 7 to 15 and take Laughton as the prize. Trade from 15 to 22-26 and dump forseberg and grab a piece. Trade zub and chych as they hold value. You clear some cap. Get some pieces. Retain 2 chances at rebuilding your prospect pool.

08b7b2e8-b23c-467b-8da9-4a634621e9e8_text.gif

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I am like 10 people removed from Justin Peters. As in, if I ran into him in the street and pretended to know him, he would be creeped out, but I could name drop obscure relatives that he would know.

If I ever run into Justin Peters I will use this power of influence to find out if this rumor about Korpisalo is true.

Keep in mind, I likely can't go on record so I would have to call him something creative and mysterious, like an NHL executive.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

This is a bad idea.

Yes, we need picks. But we need quality picks to rebuild our prospect pool. It's too difficult to get blue chip prospects in the 20+ range.

Tossing away a top ten pick in what appears to be a pretty good year for the top 10 would be a mistake.

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The idea of from 7 to 15 to dump Joseph reminds me of when Dorion tried to dump Murray's contract to the Sabres by moving down from 7 to 16, which thankfully was vetoed by Murray with his NTC.

Completely idiotic. Massive difference in value between picking 7th and the middle of the 1st.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The idea of from 7 to 15 to dump Joseph reminds me of when Dorion tried to dump Murray's contract to the Sabres by moving down from 7 to 16, which thankfully was vetoed by Murray with his NTC.

Completely idiotic. Massive difference in value between picking 7th and the middle of the 1st.
Why would we have to pay to dump Joseph... he's a productive bottom 6 winger that can play in the top 6 in a pinch, kills penalties, and only has 2 years left on a fairly low cost deal.

The difference between 7 and 15 is irrelevant, Joseph should be moveable without having to compensate the other team,

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Joseph is 183rd in p/gp among forwards who played at least 41 games, and was 175th in cap hit among forwards.

Add in all of his highly valuable intangibles and he's clearly a valuable piece.

He'd be very easy to move for a positive value return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad