Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I'm pretty sure there was a fair bit more than just Holtz going back to Calgary in the deal, but that was with some retention and Calgary's meddling ownership nixed the deal because of it.

Saros and Ullmark are going to require massive long-term extensions too, yet there will be teams willing to pay multiple quality assets to acquire them knowing that fact. If Sorokin were available this would certainly be the case as well.

It's the cost of acquiring a player that is currently elite at their position.
Murray Edwards right? Isn't he a member of the the executive board? Ten people or something that looks at things before the Govenors get it.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Let's say NJD are willing to give 10OA for Ullmark, probably a re-signed Ullmark at that price, then I don't see why Boston would give that pick to Ottawa for Chychrun because that's just not the market for him.

Boston could get a better defensemen for that price and no one would offer near that for Chychrun.

Not that I think it will be happen, but there is some precedent for this kind of defacto three way trade, that being the Dach-Romanov-13th OA trades in 2022. In order of most valuable assets it went Dach, then 13OA, then Romanov, with additional picks added to balance things out.

Montreal in: Dach
Montreal out: Romanov, 66OA, 98OA

NYI in: Romanov, 98OA
NYI out: 13OA

Chicago in: 13OA, 66OA
Chicago out: Dach

The disparity in the value between Chychrun/Ulmark can be accounted for. Not saying this is fair value all around, but for example:

Ottawa out: Chychrun, 39OA, 104OA
Ottawa in: 10OA

NJD out: 10OA
NJD in: Ulmark

Boston out: Ulmark
Boston in: Chychrun, 39OA, 104OA

Reactions: Skid and aragorn

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
not me, PLD would be our 3C unless we play him on the second line instead of Pinto and I'd rather have Pinto who never takes a night off.

Goodrow makes our middle 6 better and Schneider would be an upgrade on every RD we have after Zub
I'd want to play PLD on LW with Tim and G.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Seravalli has Korpisalo at #4 on his list of buyout candidates...

Joonas Korpisalo
Goaltender, Ottawa Senators
Contract: 4 years remaining, $5 million AAV
Buyout Structure: 8 seasons varying from $333k to $2.3 mil
Scoop: Oof. This is a tough one. And Korpisalo isn’t the only recently signed goalie that you could ask the buyout question about – with Tristan Jarry and Korpisalo’s former partner Elvis Merzlikins also in the realm of possibility. Korpisalo was signed by the old Ottawa regime in Pierre Dorion just one summer ago. He had a tough .890 save percentage and wasn’t part of the solution with a roster that has run through its fair share of netminders. The buyout isn’t overly onerous and would result in a cash savings of $5.3 million, which is also important to this ownership group. Here’s the rub: If the Sens were to hang onto Korpisalo and hope that his game rebounds, they clearly are trying to bring in a new goalie to play the bulk of the starts, so how much can his stock possibly rise in the meantime?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I posted this on the main board.

chychryn +forsberg + 25OA
for
Laine + Jet Greaves or Daniil Tarasov

Gives us a bluechip goaltending prospect and two years of a top 6 winger for about $3M extra spend in cap. CBJ gets out of the Laine contract and adds a few futures and some cap space assuming they deal church.

Not sure if Laine's got his head screwed on straight though.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Garrioch tweeted something about trading our 7th OA pick.

Before it gets posted here, multiple people who were at the season ticket meeting disputed Garrioch's comprehension of what Poulin said and feel Garrioch editorialized it.

That’s exactly what it is/was.

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Friedman on Tanev: “I’ve heard the offers out there are going to be high - People are looking at Ottawa , might do something for Tanev”

I truly believe that Ottawa very much would like to add Tanev.

But I don’t think he will end up here. Hes an older player and wants a Cup. I think he returns to Dallas or another contender

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
Poulin last night, while talking about Giroux and how good of a vet he is for our team (I’m paraphrasing), brought up Dallas as a team who had great players who are older (Pavalski, Benn, Seguin etc) and mentioned how we need players like that.

Makes me think Tanev is our number 1 target.

I also like how he mentioned Tkachuk, Stützle and Sanderson as the pillars of our team.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Garrioch tweeted something about trading our 7th OA pick.

Before it gets posted here, multiple people who were at the season ticket meeting disputed Garrioch's comprehension of what Poulin said and feel Garrioch editorialized it.
The article with a more full quote is now out,
“We had interest in the (No. 7) pick. Teams will call you and say, ‘Are you interested in moving the pick?’ and you don’t know what that’s going to look like because you don’t know what’s going to be available there. You have to stay very flexible” Poulin said.​

Sounds to me like they are keeping their options open rather than shopping for immediate help by using the pick, particularly when you combine that with an earlier quote

"We had lots of opportunity at the trade deadline to make moves for the short-term that might have looked good. But we’re going to do what’s in the best interest of the Senators in the long-term."​

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad