Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Oct 10, 2010
Per Pagnotta, we have be link to Saros,Gustavsson and Merzlikins
Markstrom, Ullmark, Saros probably doesn’t made sense as they seem to clearly plan on having Korpisalo on the team from the sounds of it so they can’t afford,6,7 or 8M for a goalie while having one of the world most expensive backups.

So they’ll trade for someone who makes less money like an Elvis or Gustavsson.

Reactions: Icelevel

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Markstrom, Ullmark, Saros never made sense at all to me they clearly plan on having Korpisalo on the team from the sounds of it so they can’t afford,6,7 or 8M for a goalie while having the world most expensive backup

Merzlikins actually makes more than Saros or Ullmark next year without the high end play to back up the contract. He'd be the last guy I'd be looking at in all honesty and would rather dip into FA for a Stolarz/Broissoit if that's who the team is looking at.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Markstrom, Ullmark, Saros never made sense at all to me they clearly plan on having Korpisalo on the team from the sounds of it so they can’t afford,6,7 or 8M for a goalie while having the world most expensive backup

Apparanttly Chychrun link to Nashville. I can see something for Chychrun +++ for Saros

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Add the Long Island boy Pinto and it's more fair.

25th OVR + Sogaard is probably the cost to dump Korpisalo's 16M/4YRs.

Don't think Pageau has any value but there's no way the Isles are trading Sorokin for Chabot.

They don't really have a need for Chabot in the first place. Dobson is their #1 PP QB and they have Pelech, Romanov and Bolduc at LD.

If Sorokin were to be available Pinto/Batherson would have to be included at the very least. The Isles need top 6 forwards, not another big money defenseman.
I could see korp pinto 25 and little piece for sorokin and pageau

Where’s the Sorokin rumblings coming from?
Garriochs buddy mimmo on twitter. Massive grain of salt. Just discussing here

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's definitely a hypothetical scenario that is unlikely to play out in real life, but I think if Sorokin were to be traded it would have less to do with lacking faith in his abilities but rather thinking Varlamov can provide #1 quality goaltending for the rest of his contract @ 2.75M, which would allow Sorokin's 8.25M cap hit to be allocated towards improving their offense.

Pinto, Batherson, Forsberg and Sogaard for Sorokin and Pageau would be a decent framework in such a case.
Contracts that big are tough to move, no way he gets that much, that would be the biggest return for a goalie ever.

His contract is a major liability, as much as it's a risk I'd be willing to take, finding a team willing to take that risk that has a need for a goalie, and the ability to make it work under the cap restricts the market. I'm not saying he's going to get a Joe Thornton return but I can't see any team offering up that kind of package.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
:sens
  • Thomas Chabot (8M AAV)
  • Jonas Korpisalo (4M AAV)
  • 25th Overall Pick
  • Mads Sogaard (RFA, no arbitration rights)

:isles
  • Ilya Sorokin (8.25M AAV)
  • JG Pageau (5M AAV)
  • 115th Overall Pick

It's Chabot+Korpisalo for Sorokin+Pageau, and then the Islanders get 25+Sogaard for 115

Pageau and Korpisalo are both negative value contracts. Pageau is owed 10M, Korpisalo is owed 16M.

Maybe we have to give up more on top of 25th+Sogaard. As good as Sorokin is, nobody is taking him without dumping another big contract, so if they do want to move him with a July 1st deadline, the market might be limited.

You could swap out Chabot for Norris, but I doubt they would want Norris.
Would much rather have Varlamov for 3 years and 5.5 million cheaper, than 8 years of Sorokin.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Contracts that big are tough to move, no way he gets that much, that would be the biggest return for a goalie ever.

His contract is a major liability, as much as it's a risk I'd be willing to take, finding a team willing to take that risk that has a need for a goalie, and the ability to make it work under the cap restricts the market. I'm not saying he's going to get a Joe Thornton return but I can't see any team offering up that kind of package.

Sorokin would be one of the best goalies ever traded, so yeah it makes sense it would be the biggest return for a goalie.

In a down year he had decent numbers. He's normally a Vezina caliber goalie and he's only 28.

There's also a lack of quality goalies in the NHL right now. There's a long list of teams that need a capable starting goalie and Sorokin has been one of the best since coming to the league.

He's not going to be cheap to acquire. Let's be honest, he's almost certainly not available. This is all just hypothetical.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Sorokin would be one of the best goalies ever traded, so yeah it makes sense it would be the biggest return for a goalie.

In a down year he had decent numbers. He's normally a Vezina caliber goalie and he's only 28.

There's also a lack of quality goalies in the NHL right now. There's a long list of teams that need a capable starting goalie and Sorokin has been one of the best since coming to the league.

He's not going to be cheap to acquire. Let's be honest, he's almost certainly not available. This is all just hypothetical.

They would ask for something stupid like Pinto and the 7th as a base.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Would much rather have Varlamov for 3 years and 5.5 million cheaper, than 8 years of Sorokin.

Varlamov would be a good option for us but...

He's 35.
We wouldn't be able to dump Korpisalo in a deal for him,
He's not available.

Sorokin could potentially solidify the position for the next 8 years, and if the cap continues to rise at ~4.5% per year, it would become more and more team friendly through the balance of his prime.

It's certainly not a no brainer to go after that contract, as it carries significant risk, but the upside is also significant.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Aren't the Leafs likely getting Brossoit? That could take a team out of the sweepstakes for other goalies.

If not, we should take a run at him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Patrick Roy, Luongo (twice), Hasek?

Big contracts almost never get the kind of returns fans dream of, with a goalie, I doubt that changes.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Who says no?

Ott: Jakob Markstrom, Nazem Kadri
Cal: Jacob Chychryn, 25th overall, Jonas Korpisalo

Reactions: bicboi64

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

There are no legitimate rumours about him.

Someone said "Garrioch's friend" on Twitter was talking about it. People have been discussing it in this thread mostly as speculation. Nobody actually believes he is available or that we're going to acquire him.

Most of the conversation at least from my point has been framed from it's a fake Twitter rumor, but if it was real it could make sense because of his impending NMC, the major changes to the Islanders organizational structure since he signed (Roy), and Varlamov being used in the playoffs.

I wasn't meaning to lend credibility to the Twitter "rumour" passed on third hand by a random poster. It's just speculation for fun.

Big contracts almost never get the kind of returns fans dream of, with a goalie, I doubt that changes.

They would get pennies on the dollar if they moved him now because so few teams are going to feel comfortable taking on that contract. The league is moving more towards tandems, and the floor for what league average goalies can do is higher than it has ever been. The issue is more that there aren't enough average goalies to go around.

The floor for what goalies are going to be traded this off season is probably very high because there aren't enough to go around, but I don't think the ceiling is high enough that a team can force through a trade of almost the highest paid goalie in the league with 8 years of term and a NMC without having to take the "best offer", which might be pennies on the dollar. It's difficult to create a market in that situation.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I could see korp pinto 25 and little piece for sorokin and pageau

Garriochs buddy mimmo on twitter. Massive grain of salt. Just discussing here
Really..... So everybody can stop because it's all just nonsense and lies? Cool.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There are no legitimate rumours about him.

Someone said "Garrioch's friend" on Twitter was talking about it. People have been discussing it in this thread mostly as speculation. Nobody actually believes he is available or that we're going to acquire him.

Most of the conversation at least from my point has been framed from it's a fake Twitter rumor, but if it was real it could make sense because of his impending NMC, the major changes to the Islanders organizational structure since he signed (Roy), and Varlamov being used in the playoffs.

I wasn't meaning to lend credibility to the Twitter "rumour" passed on third hand by a random poster. It's just speculation for fun.
NYI are approching Sorokageddon. Similar to Bradygeddon, only with a goalie...

Reactions: BigRig4

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

I mean those guys were traded pre-lockout, with Luongo's second time being traded being when he was 34 with a full NTC, so it's been a very long time.

Maybe Pinto, Batherson, Sogaard and Forsberg is a tad too much, but whenever I'm thinking of a proposal for a player that the other team doesn't have to trade I usually think we'll need to give up more than we'd like to make it worth their while.

Maybe Pinto, Sogaard, Forsberg and the 25th OVR, with an extra 5M in cap space instead of Batherson being an additional asset to a team that can actually attract decent UFAs.

Brett Pesce likely won’t be back with the Canes now that they are signing Slavin.

He could be our top 4 RD in FA?

Rumour has it he could get as much as 7M per, so we should stay far far away from him if that's the case.

• Wow
Reactions: senswon and DJB

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Brett Pesce likely won’t be back with the Canes now that they are signing Slavin.

He could be our top 4 RD in FA?
I don't think so. His comments on Carolina's locker clean out day made it pretty clear he really values being on a good team above all else. I can't see him willingly putting himself on a lottery team, especially when the two teams he's already been connected with [Nashville and Toronto] could easily give him an AAV of 6+.

Reactions: DJB and aragorn

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Who says no?

Ott: Jakob Markstrom, Nazem Kadri
Cal: Jacob Chychryn, 25th overall, Jonas Korpisalo

I don't know why people keep thinking Chychrun would be interested in going to Calgary.

That team is going absolutely nowhere and Chychrun is a guy with a grand total of 9 playoff games to his name after 9 seasons in this league.

He'll want to extend with a team that actually has a chance of making the post-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad