Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
May all of Treliving's trades with the Leafs be as well thought out as the Huberdeau extension he gave out in CGY.
I would think there was some reaction after Tkachuk’s departure, so yes, Treliving will likely panic after Marner leaves and will trade for the Korpse.

:tinker:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
One of garriochs buddies is hinting at sorokin.

For fun’s sake I’ll comment. If he is shit that contract is TRULY maybe the worst contract ever.

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
One of garriochs buddies is hinting at sorokin.

For fun’s sake I’ll comment. If he is shit that contract is TRULY maybe the worst contract ever.

I don't think there is any goalie I would want signed to a contract like that, but on paper he has been elite. Goalies are just too up and down though. Imagine how much people are freaking out about Korpisalo and that's a failing goalie at 4x4 not 8x8 with a NMC.

It sort of makes sense if Roy has a big voice over player personnel. Roy and Varlamov have a history together in Colorado. Varlamov was given the nod in the playoffs. They also signed Varlamov to a 3 year extension that would point to them believing that he has a few more years left in him. He has not played very much the last few years, but that partly comes down to Sorokin being so good and taking so many games.

They are also in a situation where if they lost faith in him based on his play this year, they don't have the luxury of giving him another year to see if it works itself out because his NMC kicks in on July 1st.

Chabot for Sorokin would make sense as a base. I won't comment on value or anything, but both contracts have a lot of term and both have a similar cap hit. Maybe there is a supplementary move in there Forsberg for a D or an F.

If they are done with Mayfield, then a Mayfield/Korpisalo swap worked into the deal might also make sense. I like Mayfield, but that contract is worse than Korpisalo's contract. The only thing that gives me pause about Mayfield is that if you read what the Islanders fans write about his level of play, it sounds like how most people here talked about Ceci, and Ceci was always pretty good, so I think it could work out.

Reactions: bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chychrun + Korpisalo. Terrifying contract.
I'd do it tbh, look at Bob in Fla, without him they aren't where they are right now imo, and his contract was even crazier.

That said, it would really limit our options for other positions, say goodbye to any hope for Roy or Pesce (assuming we ever had a chance) and we'd probably need to bridge Pinto.

If we could trade Forsberg too, and fill the backup spot with Sogaard or some other cheap deal that would help.

Also, I think the likelihood of NYI moving him are next to none...

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'd do it tbh, look at Bob in Fla, without him they aren't where they are right now imo, and his contract was even crazier.

That said, it would really limit our options for other positions, say goodbye to any hope for Roy or Pesce (assuming we ever had a chance) and we'd probably need to bridge Pinto.

If we could trade Forsberg too, and fill the backup spot with Sogaard or some other cheap deal that would help.

Also, I think the likelihood of NYI moving him are next to none...
Sorokin is a good goalie. His contract and our cap situation make it tricky though. If he’s really on the market (seems surprising), I’d think he’ll generate interest. Throwing the Korpse into a trade deal would definitely kill the deal.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
So here's the deal with Korpi There are teams desperate enough out west that have seen larger bodies of his work that they're willing to take a chance on him. The Kings acquired this man for their playoff run. He did not play terrible in front of them. I noticed sometimes some guys are more in tune with playing in one division than the other. They got used to the players in that division and know them better. He comes to the Eastern conference and she doesn't know the shooters as well. And a new team with a crap defense and a coach on the way out the door and some injuries. Next thing you know he can't stop nothing. Sounds like a pretty good excuse. Problem is I don't think this guy is going to turn it around with Ottawa. Maybe somewhere else but I think he's One of those goalies who got overpaid. I agree buying them out is not the answer. Someone will take him if we dangle that lace first. You say give away a first round pic for him. It's not a first round pic. Let's face it. It's a second round pic.

We got an assets that we got to move Chych, Korpi and Branny! Heck you could even throw Joseph in there for all I care. Two first round pick defenseman A. Goaltender, two-time Stanley Cup defensive forward with speed And a late first round draft pick. We can make all of our troubles disappear. Magically with the right deal. Even if it means just paying people to clear our junk away. We can use the cab space and we will. Will we get the goaltender of our dreams, no cuz I don't think he's available for trade. I think will probably end up with a Band-Aid solution as there are probably not a lot of teams looking to get rid of their high-end gold tender. Just for the record, I'll take Saros....lol.....

Calgary might be a good trading partner. They're looking to acquire what we have and we're looking for their Markstrom, maybe something can be worked out. They don't really need a goaltender but right now they got three and one's going for sure. So they got to make a deal. They can't hold teams hostage. They got an asset they want to move and it sounds like this could be a draft Day deal potentially. Maybe we want that head case Samson off from Toronto. Maybe all Mark's prices come down now that the market has shifted to Markstrom And Boston would like their first round draft pick back.

I hope Edmonton extends the season and when's the next two games. I like to see mcjesus get rewarded for his play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sorokin is a good goalie. His contract and our cap situation make it tricky though. If he’s really on the market (seems surprising), I’d think he’ll generate interest. Throwing the Korpse into a trade deal would definitely kill the deal.
Not many teams could easily accommodate that contract, ourselves included.

I think we'd have to add a bit to intice them to take on Korpisalo, but tbh I can't see them wanting to trade sorokin anyways

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Don't think Lou will trade Sorokin, he's one of the best goalies in the league having 3 vezina calibre seasons prior to this season. Any move we'd make would have to include us sending Chabot or Korpisalo.

I do think NYI is a good trade partner with us. The NYI core simply isn't good enough to go deep in the playoffs and if they want a shake up, I wouldn't mind trying to get Palmieri from them or moving Chabot for Pelech (both are similar calibre players, but one has a better caphit for us going forward).

Would also be nice to sign Clutterbuck for our bottom 6. Someone other than Brady will be out there throwing out hits left and right. Clutterbuck on Kastelic's wing might give him some pointers on using his body.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Not many teams could easily accommodate that contract, ourselves included.

I think we'd have to add a bit to intice them to take on Korpisalo, but tbh I can't see them wanting to trade sorokin anyways
Ya, that was surprising, and I think they’ll rue the day they move him.

The Islanders problem has been scoring not defense or goaltending. This seems like a mismatched solution.

Reactions: Micklebot

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
To Ottawa:
Pierre Luc Dubois (25% retained; $2.125M)

To LA Kings:
Korpisalo
2025 2nd

Then...

To Ottawa:
Barclay Goodrow
Braden Schneider

To NYR:
PLD ($1M retained)
2024 25th OA pick

Basically a three way trade:

To NYR: