Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's assuming anyone would take him for 2.7 though. That's far from a certainty and imo is highly unlikely. What other lumps are taken to get there? Bad 2.7 contract coming back?
Well trading him is more highly unlikely, of any option. Imo he’s going nowhere.

Just throwing that out,, retain is a better option than buyout.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Well trading him is more highly unlikely, of any option. Imo he’s going nowhere.

Just throwing that out,, retain is a better option than buyout.
I would agree that it would be the better option, no argument there, but also agree with Mick that there's no chance anyone is taking him on for even half. Just my 2 cents I guess.
I don't think it would be easy to trade him at 50% little line 2.7,
Ya, they need to focus on more realistic options. I'm sure they know already how realistic moving him is and what that would require.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Yeah exactly. It’s not like we retain half and then some team will give us something in return.

It’s retention and we will still need to give them something else. Jjst buy him. 1.3 on the cap isn’t gonna kill us
Its roughly a Colin White and a half buried for 8 years to forget about him forever

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Yeah exactly. It’s not like we retain half and then some team will give us something in return.

It’s retention and we will still need to give them something else. Jjst buy him. 1.3 on the cap isn’t gonna kill us

I'd rather buy him out than give up a 1st+ to dump him.

They may think that they can get him into a trade with a bunch of moving parts and get what works out to be a discount dumping him.

Unless the team genuinely loves Tij Iginla, the path of least resistance for a goalie is probably something around 7 for 9+Markstrom, and then figuring out how to square everything up from there, like buying out Korpisalo.

One thing with Calgary and Iginla is that it may not even be up to their management. Drafting Iginla and the potential for him to be an NHL player on their team is massive.

If the situation is "we can get a late 1st for Markstrom and the player at 9 is comparable to Iginla in terms of potential as a prospect", I doubt that would cut it with an ownership group that allegedly already meddled in the Markstrom trade. Imagine if we turned down trading up for Alfredsson's kid (if he was a top 10 talent) over an opportunity cost of a late 1st.

Having Calgary take Korpisalo in that situation is a pipe dream, but it's fun to fantasize. Things like that do happen at sports drafts sometimes. Look at the famous NFL documentary Draft Day as an example..

Its roughly a Colin White and a half buried for 8 years to forget about him forever

Maybe there would be a deal to be made with San Jose where we send them Joseph and a pick and they take Korpisalo at half retained and buy him out. That way, the dead cap is half for each team.

They are going to need players with term so that Celebrini has people to play with, and nobody is going to want to sign there for anything but an overpayment. Look at Chicago last year and how they had to massively overpay to attract veterans for Bedard (which as a good strategy but the point is a rebuilding team like that is not an attractive destination).

I only say Joseph because it has already been telegraphed that he is gone..

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Of course
Everybody would prefer
But who is taking the worst goalie in the league by far at 2.7 for 4 years with these avail?

There is a small number of decent free agents and a few better goalies who will likely re-sign with their current team. But, after that, there isn’t much there.

This is not an argument against a buyout. Its just a comment about the goalie market place this summer, or more specifically, the free agent market place (per your attachment).

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Eh, Korpi at 50% would have value. I have disliked Korpi for the better part of a decade but his reputation is weirdly inflated around the league.

I try not to deal in absolutes when it comes to something wacky like goalies.

It's looking to be a seller's market. It would not surprise me if we could find a taker for Korpisalo via retaining or by taking back a contract.

At the same time, it wouldn't surprise me if he was unmovable even half-retained. The problem is that he has 4 years of term. That makes him toxic, because if he doesn't work out, most teams won't want to be in a position in 2025-26 to have 3 years of dead cap on the books via burying him, or 6 years of dead cap via a buyout.

I would point to the Murray to TOR trade as evidence that we can't speak in absolutes with goalies. If you made that same proposal on the trade board, you would get roasted. The idea that Toronto would take most of his contract for a 3rd and a late pick seemed absurd, but they did it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Eh, Korpi at 50% would have value. I have disliked Korpi for the better part of a decade but his reputation is weirdly inflated around the league.
I think that goes out the window when you have 4 years left on your contract and put up some league worst performance numbers that are more in line with your career average than your better years.

Anyone doing a dive on this guy at this point would see only 3 decent seasons out of 9, and in almost all of those, he was significantly outperformed by the other tender in the tandem according to the numbers.

I'm still perplexed how he got the deal in the first place. Nothing on his resume suggests he deserved that.

Duncstar

Sep 1, 2017
Ottawa
That 1.3 mil is pretty key actually to us having a decent roster. We're tight against the cap boys... a buyout isn't a good option. I'd move the 1st to get rid of korp

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I think that goes out the window when you have 4 years left on your contract and put up some league worst performance numbers that are more in line with your career average than your better years.

Anyone doing a dive on this guy at this point would see only 3 decent seasons out of 9, and in almost all of those, he was significantly outperformed by the other tender in the tandem according to the numbers.

I'm still perplexed how he got the deal in the first place. Nothing on his resume suggests he deserved that.
This is at the crux of my argument. I dont see why people would be fooled last year only to be totally opposed to him now.

Korpi at $2m actually has some upside, too. I think there would be some legitimate interest

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
This is at the crux of my argument. I dont see why people would be fooled last year only to be totally opposed to him now.

Korpi at $2m actually has some upside, too. I think there would be some legitimate interest
There was a ton of talk about that whole double hip surgery business. It was propped up as if it explained the outlier season he'd just had, and that it would be the norm going forward. I feel like him repeating poor performance since then just solidifies that as fools gold, and the next team won't be buying in to it.

I have to disagree. 1 year, probably. 2, maybe. 3 or 4 and I don't think it's worth the risk to any team. I don't agree that it's upside, it's outlier seasons, but then you have to suffer the bad 2 or 3 seasons around it each time, so is it really worth it. The one thing he can't seem to be is consistent.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Many teams build totally fine rosters being more than 1.3 away from the cap
In 2026-27, taking White’s buyout into account, it would be $2,708,333.

In 2027-28, it would be $3,208,333.

Thought it's advisable to consider the details and big picture.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
I like Forsberg more than Korpi, but he’s not good enough to break your back trying to dump Korpi or to buy him out and pay him for the next eight years. And I don’t see them both being moved because then you have to find two goalies.

I think it’s something they can revisit next off season. If he plays well he’s likely tradeable even if you have to retain some money. And if not, then by all means buy him out. But it’s not as though he’s blocking us from making a move here.

Reactions: Senscore

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I like Forsberg more than Korpi, but he’s not good enough to break your back trying to dump Korpi or to buy him out and pay him for the next eight years. And I don’t see them both being moved because then you have to find two goalies.

I think it’s something they can revisit next off season. If he plays well he’s likely tradeable even if you have to retain some money. And if not, then by all means buy him out. But it’s not as though he’s blocking us from making a move here.
For the performance they got though, that's basically 2 guys off the scrap heap at a million bucks each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad