Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hope you are right. I think it will take a combination of better goaltending and better team D to get us at or above the 100 point mark. I guess I see poor team D as a major deficiency last year (more than others do) and that it will be required for us to achieve the results we hope for.
Well, I don't really disagree, I think with average to good goaltending last year we are probably a 90 pts team, not a 100 pts team.

Having said that, I also think JM helped instill some better team D habits and am hopeful that Green will build on that.

I'm hopeful that better balance on the backend (Chychrun out for a more defensive minded but similar caliber RHD) will also help with the team D.

I think Pinto in all seasons should offset the loss of Tarasenko, and am hopeful we can have a relatively healthy season (no team is perfectly healthy, so that's never my hope or expectation)

I think we might also add a guy or two to the bottom of the roster, which could help.

The thing about our team is the deficiencies seem relatively clear, and that means addressing them should be straightforward.

We just have to hope the moves we make are the right ones, and not the next iteration of Korpisalo, Chychrun and DeBrincat.

Reactions: HoweHullOrr

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well, I don't really disagree, I think with average to good goaltending last year we are probably a 90 pts team, not a 100 pts team.

Having said that, I also think JM helped instill some better team D habits and am hopeful that Green will build on that.

I'm hopeful that better balance on the backend (Chychrun out for a more defensive minded but similar caliber RHD) will also help with the team D.

I think Pinto in all seasons should offset the loss of Tarasenko, and am hopeful we can have a relatively healthy season (no team is perfectly healthy, so that's never my hope or expectation)

I think we might also add a guy or two to the bottom of the roster, which could help.

The thing about our team is the deficiencies seem relatively clear, and that means addressing them should be straightforward.

We just have to hope the moves we make are the right ones, and not the next iteration of Korpisalo, Chychrun and DeBrincat.
I would tend to agree.

We do need a good, top 4 RD and a better goalie. Its just two positions/acquisitions, but they are the toughest to get.

If Chychrun (especially as a one-year rental), Boston 1st, and Joseph is our trade bait, I’m not sure well get a true “needle mover” e.g., a good top 4 RD with a decent contract.

I think we could get one of the needed pieces like a goaltender with some combination of those pieces, but not both. Or, getting a goaltender via free agency is another alternative of course.

I think Staois is going to have to land one of the best RDs in free agency. If we acquire that good RD in trade, then we’ll be giving up better assets and a player that would hurt to move.

If you combine that RD with a better goaltender, better team D and better coaching (which will help with improved team D), then I think we could achieve that 100 point season goal we’ve been talking about.

Some might consider this being cynical. I guess I see this more as being realistic.

I’m not envying the position that Staois is in. He has some high hurdles to jump over.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We should look for a younger starter than Markstrom and one that would cost less to acquire.

I'm all on board throwing a decent sized contract at Anthony Stolarz.

30YR old goalie with a NHL career .915 SV% and excellent numbers at every level.

Played behind Gibson in Anaheim and Bobrovsky in Florida, but had better numbers than either guy.

Could be a guy who doesn't become a #1 until his 30s but runs with it after finally getting the opportunity to start ala Anderson.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
High priced goalies rarely work out. Especially here. I say we go the shotgun approach for tennies.

1) Go after the best youngish backup goalies or prospects on teams that have a solid #1. Use the #25 or any other non-core pieces to get them.

2) Sign the best young unsigned goalies in lower leagues, NCAA, etc.

3) Pray.

• Haha
Reactions: Cosmix and LiseL

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
1) Go after the best youngish backup goalies or prospects on teams that have a solid #1. Use the #25 or any other non-core pieces to get them.
Sorry for the self-quote but here are some guys that i think we could target in this category. These are the guys with the best save % among players that are getting limited games and a few stud prospects in the AHL.

Annunen or Francouz from Avs
Tarasov from CBJ
Spencer Knight from FLA
Jiri Patera from VGK
Ales Stezka from the Wild
Brandon Bussi from Boston

BInnington or Levi/UPL could be added here too but they'd cost quite a bit more.

Last edited:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
We should look for a younger starter than Markstrom and one that would cost less to acquire.

I'm all on board throwing a decent sized contract at Anthony Stolarz.

30YR old goalie with a NHL career .915 SV% and excellent numbers at every level.

Played behind Gibson in Anaheim and Bobrovsky in Florida, but had better numbers than either guy.

Could be a guy who doesn't become a #1 until his 30s but runs with it after finally getting the opportunity to start ala Anderson.

My ideal summer would be to go hard as hell for both Stolarz and one of the RDs in either Roy or Pesce.

Move Chychrun for what we can, and get Forsberg off the roster either through a buyout or trade.

Goaltending and RD are severe problems and I think targeted moves in those areas would go a long way.

Reactions: Cosmix

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
A 3rd and 4th would be more than fair. 35 years old 23-23-2 last yr.
Actually might be offering too much there
Was Markstrom on the market last year around the deadline? I thought there was something brewing with NJD but don’t recall all the details. But, if the price is mid round picks, I’d wonder if he wouldn’t have been moved back then. It might be a game of musical chairs this summer with goaltenders. You don’t want to be left standing when the music stops.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Well we know that won’t be the price

Of New Jersey is willing to give 10th overall then that means they have first pick of the goalies. They’ll get their guy

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Well we know that won’t be the price

Of New Jersey is willing to give 10th overall then that means they have first pick of the goalies. They’ll get their guy
For 10th overall they should be able to get almost any goalie in the universe. Good luck to them

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Markstorm would be good but what goes the other way
Well korpisalo but why would they do that unless we sweetened the offer big time. They could just trade Markstrom somewhere where they wouldn’t have to take back one of the worst contracts in the league.

Someone posted korpisalo Greig 7 and 25 for Markstrom and 9.

Calgary would say no take our second first.

Reactions: SensFactor

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No way he goes for that.

Rumour was Holtz from NJD at the deadline, so 2020 high first round pick that hasn't broken out yet.

Idk what kind of crack people are smoking to think just because NJD are open to moving 10 OA, that Markstrom could land that though, that would just be stupid.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Pierre Dorion, ladies and gentlemen. What a disaster that man was.
I know pro scouting played a part with the Korpisalo signing too, but no kidding, it really was a crippling end to his tenure. It will likely go down as the worst UFA contract handed out by a Senators GM. The man may have ruined their opportunity to compete next year just based on that alone.

Imo it's signalling to the team they're giving them no chance if he's coming back for ~40 games, but the solutions don't seem ideal.

I say just buy him out and take your lumps if the cost to dump him is 2 high quality assets.

Reactions: Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Well korpisalo but why would they do that unless we sweetened the offer big time. They could just trade Markstrom somewhere where they wouldn’t have to take back one of the worst contracts in the league.

Someone posted korpisalo Greig 7 and 25 for Markstrom and 9.

Calgary would say no take our second first.
Problem with Markstrom is at 35 next season, you aren't getting a top goalie for long, he's got maybe 3 more good seasons left, and it's not like he's a vezina level goalie. A late first is historically the type of return he should get, maybe less, but it's a seller's market so he could get a bit of a premium.

To me, Ulmark and Saros are the ideal targets, though they probably won't accept Korpisalo in a deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know pro scouting played a part with the Korpisalo signing too, but no kidding, it really was a crippling end to his tenure. It will likely go down as the worst UFA contract handed out by a Senators GM. The man may have ruined their opportunity to compete next year just based on that alone.

Imo it's signalling to the team they're giving them no chance if he's coming back for ~40 games, but the solutions don't seem ideal.

I say just buy him out and take your lumps if the cost to dump him is 2 high quality assets.
I honestly don't find the buyout that bad, 8 years is a bit rought, but 1.3 on average is manageable.

I'd certainly do that before pay the price to dump him. Alternatively retain to make the contract potentially movable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad