Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I honestly don't find the buyout that bad, 8 years is a bit rought, but 1.3 on average is manageable.

I'd certainly do that before pay the price to dump him. Alternatively retain to make the contract potentially movable
I agree. With the cap rising, I'd do it over paying this potential cost. I might feel differently if they were busting at the seams with assets, but it's the wrong time for the team to be paying out the ass for a problem to disappear.

I was all aboard that train until the SS interview where he indicated no buyouts likely. I'm hoping they will seriously consider it, because it really does seem tenable. Or that Campbell swap and buyout option if Edm were on board.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Problem with Markstrom is at 35 next season, you aren't getting a top goalie for long, he's got maybe 3 more good seasons left, and it's not like he's a vezina level goalie. A late first is historically the type of return he should get, maybe less, but it's a seller's market so he could get a bit of a premium.

To me, Ulmark and Saros are the ideal targets, though they probably won't accept Korpisalo in a deal.
I’m not advocating for Markstrom.

I wouldn’t give up these prices for ANY goalie

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ceci's value is going down. He should cost us less to acquire.

I honestly don't find the buyout that bad, 8 years is a bit rought, but 1.3 on average is manageable.

I'd certainly do that before pay the price to dump him. Alternatively retain to make the contract potentially movable

His buyout is not bad if we need the short term cap space, I would buy him out before giving up a 1st to dump him.

With that said, his buyout doesn't actually save very much over the lifetime of the contract compared to just burying him. I think the difference is a few hundred thousand dollars in cap total. So strategically, it doesn't make sense to buy him out unless absolutely necessary. There is more control with burying him.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ceci's value is going down. He should cost us less to acquire.

His buyout is not bad if we need the short term cap space, I would buy him out before giving up a 1st to dump him.

With that said, his buyout doesn't actually save very much over the lifetime of the contract compared to just burying him. I think the difference is a few hundred thousand dollars in cap total. So strategically, it doesn't make sense to buy him out unless absolutely necessary. There is more control with burying him.
My preference would be retention, ideally I'd like for the player to get the opportunity to get his career back on track, burryinng him is bad mojo...

Reactions: Alex1234

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
My preference would be retention, ideally I'd like for the player to get the opportunity to get his career back on track, burryinng him is bad mojo...

Sending a player to the AHL doesn't mean they don't give him a fair shot in training camp, or let him back in the NHL if he rehabs his career and becomes one of their best 2 options in net.

If we could trade him somewhere half retained, it would be something to consider because it would free up 2M. But you have to consider that if they don't want his buyout cap hit on the boks for 8 seasons, retention puts them in a position where they could end up having his cap on the books for 7 seasons if he doesn't bounce back with his new team (retention this year, 6 year buyout starting next year).

The best option is simply to bury him, but it seems like we're in a scenario where they don't want to buy him out but they also have to move him to gain the cap flexibility to add a new goalie. Almost like Dorion last year with Zaitsev and a top four defenseman.

Reactions: DrEasy

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It's going to be 7th+39th+Korpisalo (@ 3M) for 9th+Markstrom or something absurd like that. They will leverage the need for Calgary to get Iginla to get a massive discount on a Korpisalo for Markstrom swap. The leaks about Ottawa "liking" Tij Iginla are already coming and we were talking about them leveraging Tij against Calgary in this thread two weeks ago. This is just like when HFBoards almost got Brady Tkachuk traded by talking about it.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
Sorry for the self-quote but here are some guys that i think we could target in this category. These are the guys with the best save % among players that are getting limited games and a few stud prospects in the AHL.

Annunen or Francouz from Avs
Tarasov from CBJ
Spencer Knight from FLA
Jiri Patera from VGK
Ales Stezka from the Wild
Brandon Bussi from Boston

BInnington or Levi/UPL could be added here too but they'd cost quite a bit more.
He retired no?

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He retired no?
Did he? The way i made this list was to pull guys with high sv% over the past 3 years with limited games. Trying to identify solid backups and guys blocked in their orgs. I guess i didnt look closely enough to exclude guys who aren't still active.

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
It's going to be 7th+39th+Korpisalo (@ 3M) for 9th+Markstrom or something absurd like that. They will leverage the need for Calgary to get Iginla to get a massive discount on a Korpisalo for Markstrom swap. The leaks about Ottawa "liking" Tij Iginla are already coming and we were talking about them leveraging Tij against Calgary in this thread two weeks ago. This is just like when HFBoards almost got Brady Tkachuk traded by talking about it.
Don't see Korpi involved in any trade with a goalie coming back

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Why would Ottawa negotiate the 7th pick through Random twitter accounts.

They could just call Calgary and say “hey we’re taking tij at 7. If you want him here’s the price.

We likely just want iginla

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton

This legit feels like the best way to go. Why risk bringing him back in any capacity and sinking team morale or taking on another bad contract while hoping a player like Campbell bounces back as well.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
This is a pretty good deal for ottawa if they know that someone they like is avaliable at 9

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I think people brains are overrheating in an attempt to move Korpisalo.

If Calgary wants to move Markstrom, they could so in a separate deal and they'd get something back from the trade. You can argue that it won’t be a spectacular asset that gets returned to Calgary, and that’s fine. However, there’s a shortage of goalies available and several teams needing them, plus they don’t need to take on the boat anchor Korpisalo contract. IF they want to grab Iginla in the draft, then they offer their 9th overall and another pick (or something else to Ottawa). For all we know, Calgary may have their eye on different prospects as well and not just Iginla.

I’m just guessing like all others in here, and I’m not saying what has been proposed is impossible. But all I’m really saying is that Calgary has other alternatives and that all roads do not lead to Ottawa, especially with Korpisalo as part of the trade bundle. I think people are working overtime here connecting the dots between Ottawa and Calgary.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I can't see us doing this, but given I have about a dozen guys I could see us picking that I'd be happy with at 7 I'd do it no questions asked.

Oct 10, 2010
We’re gonna buy out Korpi. The price to move him is so much more devastating than 1.3 mil
If They don’t buy him out if consider Brady likely gone next year :(

Korpisalo isn’t good he’s rarely been good so why show patience? We need action with regards to him next year it’s critical that he’s not on our roster!

A nickel shouldn’t hold up a dollar!!

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Don’t see the buyout happening,
Prefer to retain 1.3 million for 4 years, making his salary 2.7,
Then paying that for 8 years.
That's assuming anyone would take him for 2.7 though. That's far from a certainty and imo is highly unlikely. What other lumps are taken to get there? Bad 2.7 contract coming back?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad