Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Why is StL dumping their starter?

Hofer had a .914 SV% through 30 games in his rookie year and has put up excellent numbers at every level.

He's going to be their #1 sooner rather than later. Don't know if they trade Binnington this summer but maybe they sell high on him after a good season.

A year ago they probably couldn't get a team to take him for free after a .894% season and having regressed every year since he led the Blues to a cup.

Iginla being available at 7, and Calgary feeling the need to get him for marketing reasons might be that miracle depending on how our own internal list works out.

Something around 7+Korpisalo for 9+Markstrom.

I suspect Markstrom would probably cost a late 1st or a couple 2nds given how many teams out there are desperate for a #1 goalie.

I also think it would cost at least a 1st to dump Korpisalo (probably a fair bit more) given he's got 4 more years @ 4M.

No way the Flames give up two 1sts worth of value to move up 2 spots. Insert Forsberg in Korpisalo's place in the deal and it's a lot closer.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He's already playing third line mins so not sure why playing behind Pinto and Stü makes a difference, besides I imagine we'd use him on the wing with Norris,and occasionally with Pinto,
Hes moved up a lot in the last two years due to Couturier absence/struggles

Don't get me wrong he is a decent 3rd liner but its not worth trading Chychrun for...esp if you are moving Joseph. I see him as a 30 point PK center who is okay defensively even though he had a rough defensive season last year

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It is. You are trading Chyrchun for a 30-31st pick and getting a center version of Joseph.

This doesn't make us better and its a waste of trading Chychrun
Chychrun’s value as a 1 year rental is a late 1st. Joseph is less valuable than Laughton. It’s a trade slightly tilted in the Sens favour.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hes moved up a lot in the last two years due to Couturier absence/struggles

Don't get me wrong he is a decent 3rd liner but its not worth trading Chychrun for...esp if you are moving Joseph. I see him as a 30 point PK center who is okay defensively even though he had a rough defensive season last year
He's a 3rd liner than can move up in Philly, thats the exact same role he'd have here, except that if/when he moves up, it's on the wing rather than at center.

I'm not saying we should trade for him, just that I don't see his role really impacting relative performance.

Also, I don't think you can frame it as him for Chychrun when the prosal including a first as well. It's a package proposal.

Reactions: GCK

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Hofer had a .914 SV% through 30 games in his rookie year and has put up excellent numbers at every level.

He's going to be their #1 sooner rather than later. Don't know if they trade Binnington this summer but maybe they sell high on him after a good season.

A year ago they probably couldn't get a team to take him for free after a .894% season and having regressed every year since he led the Blues to a cup.

I suspect Markstrom would probably cost a late 1st or a couple 2nds given how many teams out there are desperate for a #1 goalie.

I also think it would cost at least a 1st to dump Korpisalo (probably a fair bit more) given he's got 4 more years @ 4M.

No way the Flames give up two 1sts worth of value to move up 2 spots. Insert Forsberg in Korpisalo's place in the deal and it's a lot closer.

You're almost certainly correct that they would not do that.

The context was a "miracle" similar to Murray. It should have cost us a lot more to dump Murray than a 3rd and another pick, but Dubas was high on him.

It's difficult to put a value on Markstrom because of his contract and NTC. A late 1st would not surprise me, but I don't think it's a guarantee. I could see him going for less depending on how things shake out.

Maraz

Jan 25, 2015
Tkachuk-Stutzle-Batherson
Greig-Norris-Giroux
Martinook(2.6)-Pinto-Joseph
Kelly-Kastelic-Labanc(1.9)
Crookshank, Ostapchuk

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Roy(5.8)
Kulikov(1.2)-JBD
Kleven

Korpisalo, Forsberg

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Greig-Norris-Giroux
Crookshank, Ostapchuk

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Roy(5.8)
Kulikov(1.2)-JBD
Kleven

Korpisalo, Forsberg
Can't see LeBanc getting 1.9 but I think he's a reasonable target for a change of scenery

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Murray had history of being good. Korpisalo doesn’t even have that
Murray was good with Pittsburgh up to 2018-19.

Korpisalo had decent years in 2015-16, 2019-20, and played well in that COVID playin playoff against Toronto. He was good with LAK in 2022-23.

But, I don’t want to get in the way of someone who has to pound the same thing over & over.

Having said this, I’m not holding my breath expecting a good result in a Korpisalo trade.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think the more likely buyout would be Forsberg.

Would only be 2 years of dead money instead of 8 years.

I'd rather make Korpisalo the backup/1B and pray he turns it around and then can be dumped on some other team desperate for a goalie at a lesser cost.
I see no reason to buyout Forsberg - his contract is so easy to work around. I think it's possible that he could be moved with 50% retention, but even if that doesn't happen it's not a big deal. If you keep him and he struggles again you can just waive him, bury him and he's off your books next summer anyway.

Korpisalo is going to be a problem for a long time. It seems inevitable that at some point he's going to be either bought out or bundled up with some other assets to entice another team to take him.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Greig-Norris-Giroux
Crookshank, Ostapchuk

Sanderson-Zub
Chabot-Roy(5.8)
Kulikov(1.2)-JBD
Kleven

Korpisalo, Forsberg
That second line lacks some scoring threat.

Murray was good with Pittsburgh up to 2018-19.

Korpisalo had decent years in 2015-16, 2019-20, and played well in that COVID playin playoff against Toronto. He was good with LAK in 2022-23.

But, I don’t want to get in the way of someone who has to pound the same thing over & over.

Having said this, I’m not holding my breath expecting a good result in a Korpisalo trade.
Yeah. Korpisalo has played some good games.

I didn’t mean zero when I said “no history”.

Most of his career has been downright bad.

But why would you think the return won’t be great? With a history like that surely another team wouldn’t want him?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I see no reason to buyout Forsberg - his contract is so easy to work around. I think it's possible that he could be moved with 50% retention, but even if that doesn't happen it's not a big deal. If you keep him and he struggles again you can just waive him, bury him and he's off your books next summer anyway.

Korpisalo is going to be a problem for a long time. It seems inevitable that at some point he's going to be either bought out or bundled up with some other assets to entice another team to take him.
Korpisalo is just a late bloomer, gonna take the league by storm at 30 tim Thomas style :sarcasm:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Someone will take Forsberg in a trade.

There will be a team that missed out on getting a goalie and just needs a veteran to get them through the year. There simply aren't enough proven NHL goalies to go around.

If he had term, he would be impossible to move. Someone will give up a 7th round pick or something because it gets them a veteran goalie to be part of their tandem without committing term.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Someone will take Forsberg in a trade.

There will be a team that missed out on getting a goalie and just needs a veteran to get them through the year. There simply aren't enough proven NHL goalies to go around.

If he had term, he would be impossible to move. Someone will give up a 7th round pick or something because it gets them a veteran goalie to be part of their tandem without committing term.
There's teams that are like 10m under the cap floor, are heading for a lost season, and could use a vet goalie. I'm actually not worried about having to attach anything to move him either.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
35 feels old for a core that won't be a cup contender next year even with elite goalie play. NJD makes way more sense imo.

Markstrom is much more fitting for a "win now" team.

Plus he's got a NMC. Until proven otherwise this is not an attractive place for a goaltender especially.

Beyond that he's had issues with consistency.

Reactions: Alex1234

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Trading a 1st+ for a 35 year old goalie would be very stupid, but we're desperate so maybe it happens.

While Staios says the right things to the media about building around Brady, I'm sure he's thinking we're another bottom 10 season away from a trade request, and there's very limited options to improve in net this off-season.

Would not shock me if we're trading the BOS 1st+ for a goalie and/or some help on D.

Hopefully Markstrom refuses to waive his NTC to come here and saves us from ourselves, just like Tanev did at the deadline.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
To Cal: 7th OA, Korpisalo G, Joseph LW/RW ($6.950 mil out)
To Ott: 9th OA, Markstrom G & Miromanov RD ($7.250 mil in) - difference $.300K

To Wash: Chychrun LD ($4.6 mil out) - Chychrun becomes Wash top pairing LD
To Ott: Strome C/LW ($5 mil in) - difference $.4K - Strome becomes Ott 1st/2nd line C

Sign UFA: Daniel Sprong RW
Draft 9th OA: Carter Yakemchuk RD
Out: Kubalik LW & Brannstron LD ($4.5 mil)
- Ott adds 4 vets, 3 are 27 yrs old & none of these 3 have NT/NMC

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Strome ($5) - Sprong ($3)
Greig - Pinto ($4) - Giroux
Ostapchuk - Kastelic - Kelly = $52.3 mil

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Miromanov
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $25 mil

Markstrom - Forsberg/Sogaard - $8.7 mil = $86 mil
- Hamonic & Forsberg ($3.8 mil) are gone after the season, if not sooner

Reactions: BigRig4

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
To Cal: 7th OA, Korpisalo G, Joseph LW/RW ($6.950 mil out)
To Ott: 9th OA, Markstrom G & Miromanov RD ($7.250 mil in) - difference $.300K

To Wash: Chychrun LD ($4.6 mil out) - Chychrun becomes Wash top pairing LD
To Ott: Strome C/LW ($5 mil in) - difference $.4K - Strome becomes Ott 1st/2nd line C

Sign UFA: Daniel Sprong RW
Draft 9th OA: Carter Yakemchuk RD
Out: Kubalik LW & Brannstron LD ($4.5 mil)
- Ott adds 4 vets, 3 are 27 yrs old & none of these 3 have NT/NMC

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Strome ($5) - Sprong ($3)
Greig - Pinto ($4) - Giroux
Ostapchuk - Kastelic - Kelly = $52.3 mil

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Miromanov
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $25 mil

Markstrom - Forsberg/Sogaard - $8.7 mil = $86 mil
- Hamonic & Forsberg ($3.8 mil) are gone after the season, if not sooner

Miromanov firmly established himself in their top 4 since coming over from Vegas. He is also on an absurd contract if he continues to play in that role (1.25M x 2 years).

I don't think Joseph has a lot of value despite how much people here like him. I could see him going for anywhere from a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round pick.

Strome for Chychrun is a very interesting suggestion, but I don't think they Capitals can get away with trading away a C.

Reactions: aragorn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad