Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Laughton and Joseph are basically the same player - ideal 3rd line two-way players that can chip in 30-40P a year.

Dumping Joseph to turn around and trade quality assets for Laughton would be incredibly dumb.
It’s not about stats and styles. The org wants to bring in “good pros”.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Plenty of ways to do that without giving up value to make a lateral swap of two similar quality players on the ice.
I was thinking Chychrun + Joseph for Laughton + Florida 2024 1st. Philly needs LD badly, preferably one who can provide offence.

Reactions: Icelevel

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I was thinking Chychrun + Joseph for Laughton + Florida 2024 1st. Philly needs LD badly, preferably one who can provide offence.

I'd be thriled to get a late 1st for Chychrun at this stage. A couple 2nds I'd be happy with.

I'm not sure if Philly is a great fit for Chychrun. They have room at LD but they have Sanheim, Drysdale and York as guys who will need PP time.

The best fits for Chychrun all play in the Central Division IMO - St. Louis, Nashville, Minnesota and Utah (if both sides would welcome a reunion).

Reactions: DrEasy and NB613

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It was reported closer to the trade deadline that Chabot is a negative-value asset. The Senators would need to take back salary to trade him. If we could trade Chabot straight across for a top 4 RHD that fits our needs better, of course we should do that. I don't think there is a deal out there like that.

The trade is basically 3 teams getting together and organizing a change of scenery with 3 different negative value assets. It's meant to create a situation where they can all walk away with a D that they prefer, without one team retaining.

The additional purpose is to take advantage of the situation Pittsburgh is in with Crosby, Malkin, and Letang all nearing retirement. They apparently want to keep trying to win. That means that they might value short-term cap space more than long-term cap space. In the long-term, 3-4 years down the road, they will be rebuilding. So an 8 year Korpisalo buyout, or Mayfield declining physically while still under contract 4+ years from now won't matter as much to them.

Obviously, it's more of a challenge or thought exercise than a realistic trade that would happen in real life. There are too many moving parts and different elements, with too many chances for it to fall through.
Re: negative value

I must have missed that. I’ve been searching for that, but haven’t found it. Perhaps you could share?

What i did find were some articles that said he could "yield a significant return, possibly including the right-shot defenseman Ottawa desperately needs. Such a move would solidify the team’s strategy while clearing cap space for future moves."

But, maybe we work with different definitions? I'll put it this way, I think there will be interest in Thomas Chabot. Cap always plays a role in every transaction of course.

Again, at the risk of being repetitive, I hope we address goals against.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Not sure why Crouse is even being brought up.

Utah is trying to make the playoffs and they already have a tiny forward group full of offense-first players.

Crouse fills a need on their team and they have a billion draft picks already.

He'd probably only be traded for a top 4 RD.
I brought it up because it’s a dream scenario where we get Crouse and kesselring.

You’re right I guess it’s not a realistic trade option. I just wish it was.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Re: negative value

I must have missed that. I’ve been searching for that, but haven’t found it. Perhaps you could share?

What i did find were some articles that said he could "yield a significant return, possibly including the right-shot defenseman Ottawa desperately needs. Such a move would solidify the team’s strategy while clearing cap space for future moves."

But, maybe we work with different definitions? I'll put it this way, I think there will be interest in Thomas Chabot. Cap always plays a role in every transaction of course.

Again, at the risk of being repetitive, I hope we address goals against.

Both Seravalli and Garrioch stated they thought Chabot's contract would prevent the Senators from getting a return on him without holding back money. I am paraphrasing.

Negative value doesn't mean he is Korpisalo. Only that at his full hit and term, he would be difficult to trade and get any real return.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Both Seravalli and Garrioch stated they thought Chabot's contract would prevent the Senators from getting a return on him without holding back money. I am paraphrasing.

Negative value doesn't mean he is Korpisalo. Only that at his full hit and term, he would be difficult to trade and get any real return.
I find it hard to believe that Chabot couldnt return a R Smith/Pageau/Graves type & a pick between 25-45.

We would need to take back a good chunk of Cap, but I think we could get a middle 6er or 4/5 D making about $5mil and a good but not great pick.

I think they move out & replace Chychrun, Brannstrom & Hamonic this offseason and then make a decision on Chabot in the new year or next summer

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't disagree with anything you're saying, I'd prefer to keep Chabot over Chychrun, but I can understand why some people prefer Chychrun.

In the end, I'd rather not make that trade, but if we were to, it wouldn't create an immediate problem. Whether we would just be kicking the problem down the road to his next contract though is a valid concern. There's also the issue that he may have already soured on playing here, though thatight be because he doesn't see a long term future.

Fair enough! Changes need to be made and some way or the other people won't like some moves that will be made.

I think one of the main reasons people want to keep Chychrun is because we gave up so much for him and the best way to retain value for the organization would be to trade Chabot instead and sign Chychrun. Chabot has more years and teams are typically ready to give more for a player with that type of contract. Chychrun on the other hand has all control here. It's more likely the return for him will be similar to a rental.

In that sense I understand wanting to trade Chabot but I'm not sure if that would be a net positive for the team.

I think people here are downplaying how difficult of a job Staois has here for this offseason. It will be a very difficult summer with difficult decisions that will have a significant impact on how things go moving forward. Another year in the basement might mean a big retool and that will have implications on some core members of the team, including Tkachuk.

Reactions: GCK

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Fair enough!
----

I think people here are downplaying how difficult of a job Staois has here for this offseason. It will be a very difficult summer with difficult decisions that will have a significant impact on how things go moving forward. Another year in the basement might mean a big retool and that will have implications on some core members of the team, including Tkachuk.
Buffalo!!!! 2010-present
Toronto 2004-2016
Edmonton 2005-2016
Detroit 2014-present
Chicago 2018-present
Arizona! beginning of time - Utah HC
NYI, 1995-present
Vancouver 2012-2023

There is precedent. 2-3 retools/re-builds are far more common.

Get on Hockeydb. Go through each of the 32 teams (you need not waste time on LV and Seattle). All 30 other teams have had 10 year stretches of missing the playoffs 7-8 times. And so 1 to 2 to 3 rebuilds/retools get blended.

Odds are good the Sens will be one.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So the Upper Limit has been set at 88M. An extra 300K to squeeze in a 22M roster. Every little bit helps. I assume with Arizona moving to Utah that we should see at least another 4.5M bump next year.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016
So SJ need to spend 15M to reach the cap floor - I’m praying Staios convinces them to take Korpisalo lol
He’d be a great plug for a tanking. Something like

Korpisalo 4M
Hamonic 1.1M

For

Vlassic 7M AAV 2 years left but
4.5M in 2025 base salary
3.5M in 2026 base salary

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I know we see chychrun sucks. But I would bet there’s better value around the league than this. This is just giving chychrun away.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
He’d be a great plug for a tanking. Something like

Korpisalo 4M
Hamonic 1.1M

For

Vlassic 7M AAV 2 years left but
4.5M in 2025 base salary
3.5M in 2026 base salary
Hamonic will not waive his NMC to go to San Jose or really even anywhere. And it's a good bet that Korpi has San Jose on his modified NTC. This is dead in the water, folks.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I know we see chychrun sucks. But I would bet there’s better value around the league than this. This is just giving chychrun away.
How much do you think Laughton is worth in a trade?

I think as a well rounded player that can get you 40 pts from the third line, kill penalties, play on your PPs 2nd unit in a pinch, and is physical on a pretty team friendly contract for two more years, he can probably get you a late 1st or very early 2nd.

So, Chychrun and Joseph for essentially two late firsts value wise. I think that's a reasonable return, maybe we could do better, but I think we could certainly do worse

Reactions: GCK

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Buffalo!!!! 2010-present
Toronto 2004-2016
Edmonton 2005-2016
Detroit 2014-present
Chicago 2018-present
Arizona! beginning of time - Utah HC
NYI, 1995-present
Vancouver 2012-2023

There is precedent. 2-3 retools/re-builds are far more common.

Get on Hockeydb. Go through each of the 32 teams (you need not waste time on LV and Seattle). All 30 other teams have had 10 year stretches of missing the playoffs 7-8 times. And so 1 to 2 to 3 rebuilds/retools get blended.

Odds are good the Sens will be one.
Exactly every team goes through a stretch where they miss the playoffs, it takes a long time to rebuild a team and also you need some luck a long the way and competent hockey people unfortunately for us we had Dorion for a good chunk of it

Reactions: Beech

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There was a rumor last year that they turned down two first round picks for Laughton.

If that is true, I would assume it was one of the teams like St.Louis or Colorado that had two late first round picks. Laughton was coming off of a strong season, and part of his value would have been that his cap hit was lower than what an equivalent C would cost.

With the cap going up and Laughton regressing to his norm, I can't see him being worth as much as last year.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
So SJ need to spend 15M to reach the cap floor - I’m praying Staios convinces them to take Korpisalo lol

I think they would still want a major asset.

It's going to be cheaper to dump contracts because of the rising cap, but most rebuilding teams like San Jose have budgets. They want contracts that aren't owed lots of real money. It's why Tavares might be moveable somewhere after his bonus is paid in Toronto. (A team like San Jose could retain and pay very little real money).

I could see a team taking Korpisalo for the BOS 1st. Otherwise, we need to find a bad contract swap type deal where a team takes Korpisalo instead of retaining on their contract..

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
My trade bone is aching.
bone-holt.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Relapsing

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
How much do you think Laughton is worth in a trade?

I think as a well rounded player that can get you 40 pts from the third line, kill penalties, play on your PPs 2nd unit in a pinch, and is physical on a pretty team friendly contract for two more years, he can probably get you a late 1st or very early 2nd.

So, Chychrun and Joseph for essentially two late firsts value wise. I think that's a reasonable return, maybe we could do better, but I think we could certainly do worse
Some team will def pay a premium for Laughton. And I think they will quickly be upset about it.

I think chychrun is worth more than a late first personally. I think there’s a better deal to be had than Laughton.

I think they would still want a major asset.

It's going to be cheaper to dump contracts because of the rising cap, but most rebuilding teams like San Jose have budgets. They want contracts that aren't owed lots of real money. It's why Tavares might be moveable somewhere after his bonus is paid in Toronto. (A team like San Jose could retain and pay very little real money).

I could see a team taking Korpisalo for the BOS 1st. Otherwise, we need to find a bad contract swap type deal where a team takes Korpisalo instead of retaining on their contract..
The thing is no one is trading a bad contract on a. Skater for a bad contract on a bad goalie. Having a big contract attached to an atrocious goalie is the absolute worst thing that can happen to you cap wise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad