Should the NHL amend its preseason structure?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Looking at the out of town scoreboard, the Hurricanes stars are pasting an inexperience Panthers lineup. Earlier in the week got to see the Jets vets hammer a mostly AHL Oilers squad. For fans are we getting shortchanged? Is there any point in having regular rosters play tryout rosters in preseason?

Could the NHL amend the preseason to give the 1st week of preseason for young stars and borderline players to compete, and then finish with 3-4 meaningful games where only the A prospects participate, and all the AHL calibre players go back to their respective training camps? Maybe have rosters cut down to 30 by the final week/2 weeks. Because preseason is essentially pointless, the only concern about higher calibre play is the risk for injury, but the iniquity in many rosters makes it almost impossible to actually assess a player in action.

carjackmalone

Dec 30, 2023
Preseason games till fairly recently give or take a few decades were mostly played in small to mid sized hockey crazed cities across Canada.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think the best way to do exhibition games is do 80% of them in cities without an NHL team, like how Utah/St. Louis did one in Iowa or other countries like how the Coyotes and Kings did Australia last year. But before the season two at home and two away.

If it's a new team trying to make new fans like Seattle, Vegas, Utah, then they should just play the games at their home rink.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
the entire purpose of the preseason is to put different players in different positions to get the most comprehensive evaluation of their organizational depth and which players they view as comprising the strongest nhl roster. anyone entitled enough to complain about a fkn preseason roster not satisfying their expectations would probably also crack the shts if they lost one of their stars for the season in a preseason game though...there's always a reason to complain i guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad