Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
To Ottawa:
Pierre Luc Dubois (25% retained; $2.125M)

To LA Kings:
Korpisalo
2025 2nd

Then...

To Ottawa:
Barclay Goodrow
Braden Schneider

To NYR:
PLD ($1M retained)
2024 25th OA pick

Basically a three way trade:

To NYR:
PLD (7 x $5.7 M)
25th OA

To Ottawa:
Goodrow (3 x $3.6M)
Schneider

To LA:
Korpi
2025 2nd round pick
Out of PLD's contract

FLAME AWAY!!
Well I wouldn’t give additional assets to New York for those two if we’re already retaining

Sorokin seems to be about as sure a thing as you can find, which is why I doubt NYI will have any interest in moving him.

It's probably less risky than going forward with Korpisalo
Double the price double the years

Oct 10, 2010
Yes, this is exactly it.

The big problem with people who weigh the pros and cons of a buyout, is that they fail to realize what his cap hit actually is in theory. You shouldn't compare the buyout savings to his full 4M cap hit because:
  1. If he fails to make the team his cap hit is only 2.85M.
  2. If he makes the team, he takes up a roster spot that would cost at least 775k to fill, but in all likelihood more than that for a backup goalie.
  3. The buried cap relief combined over the next 4 seasons would total 4.6M.
  4. A buyout this off season saves 5.33M over 8 seasons.
  5. Ultimately, we're only looking at 733k in additional savings through buying him out compared to burying him.

The only benefit of a buyout would be a scenario where we prioritize short term cap as being much more important than long-term cap. We would have to badly need the short term cap space, because the short term cap space gained is minimal considering his buried cap hit is only 2.85M.

Here are the actual cap savings broken down season by season:
  • 2024-25: His buyout cap hit would be 333k , meaning we would only save about 2.5M.
  • 2025-26: His buyout cap hit would be 833k, meaning we would only save about 2.0M.
  • 2026-27: His buyout cap hit would be 1.83M, meaning we would only save about 1.0M.
  • 2027-28: His buyout cap hit would be 2.33M, meaning we would only save about 500k.
  • 2028-29: His buyout cap hit would be 1.33M.
  • 2029-30: His buyout cap hit would be 1.33M.
  • 2030-31: His buyout cap hit would be 1.33M.
  • 2031-32: His buyout cap hit would be 1.33M.
You can quickly see how a buyout doesn't make a lot of sense unless there is a season altering move that 2.5M would allow us to make. Or they simply want to wash their hands of the situation to avoid a distraction.
Nobody cares about the savings he sucks and shouldn’t be on the team that’s the point.

ottawagm

May 6, 2023
To Ottawa:

To LA Kings:
Korpisalo
2025 2nd

Then...

To Ottawa:
Barclay Goodrow
Braden Schneider

To NYR:
PLD ($1M retained)
2024 25th OA pick

To NYR:
PLD (7 x $5.7 M)
25th OA

To Ottawa:
Goodrow (3 x $3.6M)
Schneider

To LA:
Korpi
2025 2nd round pick
Out of PLD's contract

FLAME AWAY!!
Think I'd rather keep PLD at 6M than trade him and a 1st for those two from NYR.

Reactions: NB613

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Think I'd rather keep PLD at 6M than trade him and a 1st for those two from NYR.
not me, PLD would be our 3C unless we play him on the second line instead of Pinto and I'd rather have Pinto who never takes a night off.

Goodrow makes our middle 6 better and Schneider would be an upgrade on every RD we have after Zub

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Any deal where we add Schneider without giving up a core piece seems like an absolute win, add in the fact that Goodrow is exactly what this team needs and I view that overall deal as a win. Not sure the Rangers would agree and Blake selling PLD so low after being the one one to bring him in seems like a death sentence.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
To Ottawa:

To LA Kings:
Korpisalo
2025 2nd

Then...

To Ottawa:
Barclay Goodrow
Braden Schneider

To NYR:
PLD ($1M retained)
2024 25th OA pick

To NYR:
PLD (7 x $5.3 M)
25th OA

To Ottawa:
Goodrow (3 x $3.6M)
Schneider

To LA:
Korpi
2025 2nd round pick
Out of PLD's contract

FLAME AWAY!!
Really doubt that the NYR would do that deal. This is good for Ottawa, and bad for the Rags. Schneider is the best asset in that deal.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Really doubt that the NYR would do that deal. This is good for Ottawa, and bad for the Rags. Schneider is the best asset in that deal.
PLD has the potential to be a steal at that price if it works out but I wouldn't be on him suddenly figuring it out.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There is no way Lou let's Roy run a goalie of Sorokin's calibre off the island. NO WAY

They are in a scenario with him where if they keep him beyond July 1st, they are married to him for the next 8 years at franchise goalie money.

He has a NMC for the next four seasons, and he is in very rare company with only four other goalies having a similar cap hit.

I am not saying that I think they move him, but as far as rumours go, making him available at least makes sense. Roy is a big name coach who they committed to. Roy also has executive experience, so it wouldn't be surprising if he is involved in the player-personnel choices, like he was in Colorado. Varlamov and Roy have a history together. When the chips were down, he went with Varlamov in the playoffs, not Sorokin.

It would be different if Sorokin was signed to a fairly standard contract without a lot of term or trade protection. In that scenario, they could keep him and play it by feel. If they have any reservations about him, they can't risk keeping him after July 1st when the NMC kicks in. Imagine paying 8M+ to a goalie who your coach is not going to give the nod to in the playoffs.

They also had issues with injuries on defense, and defensive depth this past season. My idea a page back was Chabot for Sorokin. The big rumour a few years ago was that Roy almost had Chabot out of Ottawa in the original Duchene trade, but Sakic nixed it. If that is true, maybe Roy likes him as a player. For us, we would need to dump a contract like Chabot or Norris to bring in Sorokin. It couldn't just be Korpisalo.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
They also had issues with injuries on defense, and defensive depth this past season. My idea a page back was Chabot for Sorokin. The big rumour a few years ago was that Roy almost had Chabot out of Ottawa in the original Duchene trade, but Sakic nixed it. If that is true, maybe Roy likes him as a player. For us, we would need to dump a contract like Chabot or Norris to bring in Sorokin. It couldn't just be Korpisalo.
I'd do Chabot for Sorokin in a heartbeat, but given the lengths of the contract, NYI needs to help us out. Either take Forsberg as well, or toss in a pick or two.

Sorokin would provide stability we haven't had since regular season Lalime, and no Anderson was not consistent enough to provide stability for us. The closest we've ever had to a goalie of Sorokin's calibre is 40 year old Hasek.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They are in a scenario with him where if they keep him beyond July 1st, they are married to him for the next 8 years at franchise goalie money.

He has a NMC for the next four seasons, and he is in very rare company with only four other goalies having a similar cap hit.

I am not saying that I think they move him, but as far as rumours go, making him available at least makes sense. Roy is a big name coach who they committed to. Roy also has executive experience, so it wouldn't be surprising if he is involved in the player-personnel choices, like he was in Colorado. Varlamov and Roy have a history together. When the chips were down, he went with Varlamov in the playoffs, not Sorokin.

It would be different if Sorokin was signed to a fairly standard contract without a lot of term or trade protection. In that scenario, they could keep him and play it by feel. If they have any reservations about him, they can't risk keeping him after July 1st when the NMC kicks in. Imagine paying 8M+ to a goalie who your coach is not going to give the nod to in the playoffs.

It would be really odd for them to suddenly have buyer's remorse before the contract even kicks in when even in a "down year" he had a top half of the league sv%

8 years is a big commitment, but he's also younger than all the other options (Marstrom 34, Ulmark 31, Binnington 31, Saros 29) and he's arguably the best of the bunch. Add to that, if it works out, you've got cost certainty and don't have to worry about a key position.

I can't see NYI thinking Varlamov will get them where they need to be, he is 36, and I don't think they have a next man up like Nsh does with Askarov. He's fine for this coming year, maybe the year after, but It doesn't to me make a lot of sense unless they believe that high end goalies just don't provide the return on investment, and they can get away with picking up guys like Varlamov year to year.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
It would be really odd for them to suddenly have buyer's remorse before the contract even kicks in when even in a "down year" he had a top half of the league sv%

8 years is a big commitment, but he's also younger than all the other options (Marstrom 34, Ulmark 31, Binnington 31, Saros 29) and he's arguably the best of the bunch. Add to that, if it works out, you've got cost certainty and don't have to worry about a key position.

I can't see NYI thinking Varlamov will get them where they need to be, he is 36, and I don't think they have a next man up like Nsh does with Askarov. He's fine for this coming year, maybe the year after, but It doesn't to me make a lot of sense unless they believe that high end goalies just don't provide the return on investment, and they can get away with picking up guys like Varlamov year to year.

It is odd, but there was a major change in their organization after the contract was signed, they brought in Roy.

Varlamov is not their goalie of the future, but they did sign him to a 4 year extension last season. That points to their organization feeling strongly that he will maintain a certain level of play as an NHL goalie.

Like I mentioned before, it would be shocking, but it would at least make sense because of the contract. We're talking about Sorokin becoming one of the highest paid goalies in the league iwth a NMC, and he wasn't used during the most important games. Whether he still had lingering issues with his injury, who knows - but if not, that's not a confident look. If he didn't have a big contract like that kicking in on July 1st, no way they trade him.

The Senators could include Sogaard as part of the trade. That would make sense for both sides since Sorokin would block Sogaard from ever starting here, and he could potentially play in the NHL as soon as this upcoming season for NYI. He isn't a sure thing, but he has a high ceiling and could be an NHL starter for them within the next few seasons.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
PLD has the potential to be a steal at that price if it works out but I wouldn't be on him suddenly figuring it out.

Yeah. PLD playing up to his potential for ~$5.3M would be a massive steal for the Rangers. This would be a swing for the fences type of deal for them. Some of their core is aging (Zib, Trouba, Panarin). I think they need to try something like this to get them over the top. Zib and PLD both playing well would be a tough 1-2 punch to counter at center.

That being said, I wouldn't gamble on PLD myself.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
:sens
  • Thomas Chabot (8M AAV)
  • Jonas Korpisalo (4M AAV)
  • 25th Overall Pick
  • Mads Sogaard (RFA, no arbitration rights)

:isles
  • Ilya Sorokin (8.25M AAV)
  • JG Pageau (5M AAV)
  • 115th Overall Pick

It's Chabot+Korpisalo for Sorokin+Pageau, and then the Islanders get 25+Sogaard for 115

Pageau and Korpisalo are both negative value contracts. Pageau is owed 10M, Korpisalo is owed 16M.

Maybe we have to give up more on top of 25th+Sogaard. As good as Sorokin is, nobody is taking him without dumping another big contract, so if they do want to move him with a July 1st deadline, the market might be limited.

You could swap out Chabot for Norris, but I doubt they would want Norris.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
:sens
  • Thomas Chabot (8M AAV)
  • Jonas Korpisalo (4M AAV)
  • 25th Overall Pick
  • Mads Sogaard (RFA, no arbitration rights)

:isles
  • Ilya Sorokin (8.25M AAV)
  • JG Pageau (5M AAV)
  • 115th Overall Pick

It's Chabot+Korpisalo for Sorokin+Pageau, and then the Islanders get 25+Sogaard for 115

Pageau and Korpisalo are both negative value contracts. Pageau is owed 10M, Korpisalo is owed 16M.

Maybe we have to give up more on top of 25th+Sogaard. As good as Sorokin is, nobody is taking him without dumping another big contract, so if they do want to move him with a July 1st deadline, the market might be limited.

You could swap out Chabot for Norris, but I doubt they would want Norris.

Add the Long Island boy Pinto and it's more fair.

25th OVR + Sogaard is probably the cost to dump Korpisalo's 16M/4YRs.

Don't think Pageau has any value but there's no way the Isles are trading Sorokin for Chabot.

They don't really have a need for Chabot in the first place. Dobson is their #1 PP QB and they have Pelech, Romanov and Bolduc at LD.

If Sorokin were to be available Pinto/Batherson would have to be included at the very least. The Isles need top 6 forwards, not another big money defenseman.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Add the Long Island boy Pinto and it's more fair.

25th OVR + Sogaard is probably the cost to dump Korpisalo's 16M/4YRs.

Don't think Pageau has any value but there's no way the Isles are trading Sorokin for Chabot.

They don't really have a need for Chabot in the first place. Dobson is their #1 PP QB and they have Pelech, Romanov and Bolduc at LD.

If Sorokin were to be available Pinto/Batherson would have to be included at the very least. The Isles need top 6 forwards, not another big money defenseman.

The context of the trade is a situation where they have lost faith in him and have to move him before July 1st.

Someone else may offer a better player or package deal, but I think he will be hard to trade without a big money player coming back.

I am not disputing that in this scenario, the value is not full value of what he should be going for. He has been a franchise goalie so far in his career prior to this season and the playoffs.

Norris would be the other name that could be thrown in there instead of Chabot, but if they are trading Sorokin over nervousness about his impending contract, taking Norris doesn't make much sense with his injury issues and uncertainty.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The context of the trade is a situation where they have lost faith in him and have to move him before July 1st.

Someone else may offer a better player or package deal, but I think he will be hard to trade without a big money player coming back.

I am not disputing that in this scenario, the value is not full value of what he should be going for. He has been a franchise goalie so far in his career prior to this season and the playoffs.

Norris would be the other name that could be thrown in there instead of Chabot, but if they are trading Sorokin over nervousness about his impending contract, taking Norris doesn't make much sense with his injury issues and uncertainty.

It's definitely a hypothetical scenario that is unlikely to play out in real life, but I think if Sorokin were to be traded it would have less to do with lacking faith in his abilities but rather thinking Varlamov can provide #1 quality goaltending for the rest of his contract @ 2.75M, which would allow Sorokin's 8.25M cap hit to be allocated towards improving their offense.

Pinto, Batherson, Forsberg and Sogaard for Sorokin and Pageau would be a decent framework in such a case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad