Proposal: Free agency edition Trade Rumours/Proposals [MOD - Stay on Topic] 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Only reason the Flames would make a move to acquire and extend someone like Chychrun is if Edwards wants Conroy to stay competitive and keep ticket sales high. Acquiring Chychrun and signing him to a stupid deal would be CGY's version of Dorion acquiring whatever shiny object was available. Really hope Conroy has his hands tied by Edwards so our team can take advantage of them.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
To Ottawa:
Pierre Luc Dubois (25% retained; $2.125M)

To LA Kings:
Korpisalo
2025 2nd

Then...

To Ottawa:
Barclay Goodrow
Braden Schneider

To NYR:
PLD ($1M retained)
2024 25th OA pick

Basically a three way trade:

To NYR:
PLD (7 x $5.3 M)
25th OA

To Ottawa:
Goodrow (3 x $3.6M)
Schneider

To LA:
Korpi
2025 2nd round pick
Out of PLD's contract

FLAME AWAY!!
Rangers make out like bandits.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Three Way:
To Bost: Chychrun LD
To NJD: Ulmmark G
To Ott: 10th OA
- Chychryn becomes Bost top pairing LD
- NJ gets their #1 goalie
- Ott gets another 1st rd pick

To SJ: 7th OA & Forsberg G
To Ott: 14 OA, 33rd OA, 42th OA & Benning RD
- SJ gets two picks in the top 10
- Ott moves down & restock the prospect pool

To Flor: Joseph LW/RW
To Ott: Knight G
- Flor moves on from a troubled player & saves $1.5 mil
- Ott gets a potential #1 goalie

10th OA - Carter Yakemchuk RD
14th OA - Beckett Sennecke RW or Liam Greentree LW/RW
25th OA - Sacha Boisvert C/LW
33rd OA - Charlie Elick RD
39th OA - Yegor Surin C/RW
42nd OA - Matvei Griden C/LW
- Org - Boucher RW, Halliday C, Jarventie C/LW, Petersson RW, Donovan LD, Guennette RD, Sogaard G, Andonovski LD

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto ($6) - Sprong ($5)
Ostapchuk - Greig - Giroux
Kelly - Kastelic - MacEwan - $52 mil
- Sprong offensive upgrade on Joseph
- I expect Giroux to re-sign for another 2 yrs @ $4 mil

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Benning ($1.250)
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $24.5
- Benning is a cheap transition piece to move Forsberg

Korpisalo - Knight - $8.5 mil = $85.5 mil (deadcap $.6)
- Knight upgrade on Forsberg, Knight & Sogard potential future tandem

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Add the Long Island boy Pinto and it's more fair.

25th OVR + Sogaard is probably the cost to dump Korpisalo's 16M/4YRs.

Don't think Pageau has any value but there's no way the Isles are trading Sorokin for Chabot.

They don't really have a need for Chabot in the first place. Dobson is their #1 PP QB and they have Pelech, Romanov and Bolduc at LD.

If Sorokin were to be available Pinto/Batherson would have to be included at the very least. The Isles need top 6 forwards, not another big money defenseman.
Roy prefers Varlamov. If Roy wants to offload Sorokin then it’s got to be done prior to July 1st. I doubt anyone needs to give a Pinto/Batherson level player to get him in that scenario. I’d offer no more than Korpisalo + Chychrun + Sogaard + 25 OA.

It's definitely a hypothetical scenario that is unlikely to play out in real life, but I think if Sorokin were to be traded it would have less to do with lacking faith in his abilities but rather thinking Varlamov can provide #1 quality goaltending for the rest of his contract @ 2.75M, which would allow Sorokin's 8.25M cap hit to be allocated towards improving their offense.

Pinto, Batherson, Forsberg and Sogaard for Sorokin and Pageau would be a decent framework in such a case.
That’s such a massive overpay, it’s ridiculous.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Roy prefers Varlamov. If Roy wants to offload Sorokin then it’s got to be done prior to July 1st. I doubt anyone needs to give a Pinto/Batherson level player to get him in that scenario. I’d offer no more than Korpisalo + Chychrun + Sogaard + 25 OA.

Pass, can’t send 2 goalies
Keep Soogard and dump Forsberg maybe
but not really interested in 8 years for a goalie

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
PLD has the potential to be a steal at that price if it works out but I wouldn't be on him suddenly figuring it out.
Yes, the price is low, so I suppose there’s some temptation. PLD has the ability, but just doesn’t seem to use it on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Three Way:
To Bost: Chychrun LD
To NJD: Ulmmark G
To Ott: 10th OA
- Chychryn becomes Bost top pairing LD
- NJ gets their #1 goalie
- Ott gets another 1st rd pick

To SJ: 7th OA & Forsberg G
To Ott: 14 OA, 33rd OA, 42th OA & Benning RD
- SJ gets two picks in the top 10
- Ott moves down & restock the prospect pool

To Flor: Joseph LW/RW
To Ott: Knight G
- Flor moves on from a troubled player & saves $1.5 mil
- Ott gets a potential #1 goalie

10th OA - Carter Yakemchuk RD
14th OA - Beckett Sennecke RW or Liam Greentree LW/RW
25th OA - Sacha Boisvert C/LW
33rd OA - Charlie Elick RD
39th OA - Yegor Surin C/RW
42nd OA - Matvei Griden C/LW
- Org - Boucher RW, Halliday C, Jarventie C/LW, Petersson RW, Donovan LD, Guennette RD, Sogaard G, Andonovski LD

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto ($6) - Sprong ($5)
Ostapchuk - Greig - Giroux
Kelly - Kastelic - MacEwan - $52 mil
- Sprong offensive upgrade on Joseph
- I expect Giroux to re-sign for another 2 yrs @ $4 mil

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Benning ($1.250)
Kleven - JBD/Hamonic - $24.5
- Benning is a cheap transition piece to move Forsberg

Korpisalo - Knight - $8.5 mil = $85.5 mil (deadcap $.6)
- Knight upgrade on Forsberg, Knight & Sogard potential future tandem

Let's say NJD are willing to give 10OA for Ullmark, probably a re-signed Ullmark at that price, then I don't see why Boston would give that pick to Ottawa for Chychrun because that's just not the market for him.

Boston could get a better defensemen for that price and no one would offer near that for Chychrun.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Let's break down your offer to figure out how much value you are actually giving up for an elite starter:

Korpisalo has significant negative value. 1 year contracts around 4M usually cost a 2nd+ to dump (see Zaitsev) but he has 3 additional years. Would cost at least 25 + a C prospect like Sogaard to dump it on some other team.

So wash those assets away. Leaves Chychrun, a guy who is probably worth a couple 2nds at best, for Sorokin.

Why on earth would the Isles ever consider your offer? It's garbage.

34YR old Markstrom coming off .892 SV% and .905 SV% seasons may cost a 1st + a good prospect.

Saros and Ullmark (if traded with extensions) are better comparables for Sorokin, and they are going to cost at least a 1st + multiple secondary pieces.

You're not going to convince the Isles to trade their elite netminder without an overpayment.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Let's say NJD are willing to give 10OA for Ullmark, probably a re-signed Ullmark at that price, then I don't see why Boston would give that pick to Ottawa for Chychrun because that's just not the market for him.

Boston could get a better defensemen for that price and no one would offer near that for Chychrun.
There was a rumour out not that long ago that Ott would move Chcyhrun to Bost for Ullmark. Chychrun would be a top pairing LD to play with McAvoy RD. Boston are strong on the rights side, but weak at LD. Chychrun is coming off a 41 pt season tying his best season as a pro. We gave up a first rd pick for him plus two 2nds.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
:sens
  • Thomas Chabot (8M AAV)
  • Jonas Korpisalo (4M AAV)
  • 25th Overall Pick
  • Mads Sogaard (RFA, no arbitration rights)

:isles
  • Ilya Sorokin (8.25M AAV)
  • JG Pageau (5M AAV)
  • 115th Overall Pick

It's Chabot+Korpisalo for Sorokin+Pageau, and then the Islanders get 25+Sogaard for 115

Pageau and Korpisalo are both negative value contracts. Pageau is owed 10M, Korpisalo is owed 16M.

Maybe we have to give up more on top of 25th+Sogaard. As good as Sorokin is, nobody is taking him without dumping another big contract, so if they do want to move him with a July 1st deadline, the market might be limited.

You could swap out Chabot for Norris, but I doubt they would want Norris.
The Islanders need good forwards who can score. Chabot is the main piece in your proposal, which is not a primary need for them. Hence, I’m skeptical that this would be of much interest to them. The first step is to find the assets that motivate the two teams involved. After that, then the focus can shift to the secondary step of making the cap dollars work.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The Islanders need good forwards who can score. Chabot is the main piece in your proposal, which is not a primary need for them. Hence, I’m skeptical that this would be of much interest to them. The first step is to find the assets that motivate the two teams involved. After that, then the focus can shift to the secondary step of making the cap dollars work.
Great news.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Let's break down your offer to figure out how much value you are actually giving up for an elite starter:

Korpisalo has significant negative value. 1 year contracts around 4M usually cost a 2nd+ to dump (see Zaitsev) but he has 3 additional years. Would cost at least 25 + a C prospect like Sogaard to dump it on some other team.

So wash those assets away. Leaves Chychrun, a guy who is probably worth a couple 2nds at best, for Sorokin.

34YR old Markstrom coming off .892 SV% and .905 SV% seasons may cost a 1st + a good prospect.

Saros and Ullmark (if traded with extensions) are better comparables for Sorokin, and they are going to cost at least a 1st + multiple secondary pieces.

You're not going to convince the Isles to trade their elite netminder without an overpayment.
This is the problem with so many of these proposals. You can't just slip Korpisalo in to these thinking teams are willing to take on the negative value without significant compensation just because a high paid goalie is going the other way. Regardless of the structure of the deal, you have to compensate for Korpisalo's negative value contract.

A lot of folk just seem to like to say the words that he might bounce back and hand waive it away or whatever, as if some team is going to take that risk freely based on that, but it's not happening.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Would you guys send a package centred around the Boston 1st for Hronek? His contract might be big, but we'd have Chychrun coming off the books anyway.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Would you guys send a package centred around the Boston 1st for Hronek? His contract might be big, but we'd have Chychrun coming off the books anyway.
Nope, Hronek is as soft as Chychrun without any of the muscle. He was carried hard by Hughes and choked hard in the playoffs and will want $7 million at the least. If we were early in our rebuild, sure, but not the right player for where we are now.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
There was a rumour out not that long ago that Ott would move Chcyhrun to Bost for Ullmark. Chychrun would be a top pairing LD to play with McAvoy RD. Boston are strong on the rights side, but weak at LD. Chychrun is coming off a 41 pt season tying his best season as a pro. We gave up a first rd pick for him plus two 2nds.

I pray to god for us to get that much for Chychrun but I just don't see it.

Reactions: aragorn

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Nope, Hronek is as soft as Chychrun without any of the muscle. He was carried hard by Hughes and choked hard in the playoffs and will want $7 million at the least. If we were early in our rebuild, sure, but not the right player for where we are now.

Hronek will attract a lot of attention and money, which ideally would give us the opportunity to pursue less coveted players. A nice distraction.

Plus he's going to get way too much anyway.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

So, we'll have to wait and see what Markstrom actually gets, rumour at the deadline was Holtz, who may or may not be considered a good prospect these days, and a 1st was never confirmed at that time. There's been some wild speculation, but I find often when the dust settles things can look very different.

As for markstroms age, his remaining term is likely seen as a positive relative to Sorokins, 8 years is a liability with a goalie, not value added. Jack Campbell had great numbers until heading to EDM, Holtby was an elite starter until he turned 30 and quickly disappeared from the league, Matt Murray was a two time SC champ, then he became trash. Sometimes it's health related, but the point is a goalie in particular can go from GOAT to scapegoat in no time,

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hronek will attract a lot of attention and money, which ideally would give us the opportunity to pursue less coveted players. A nice distraction.

Plus he's going to get way too much anyway.
He seemed to really fit in well with Vancouver, but I always found he was questionable in Det.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Hronek had 25 points in his first 25 games and then it took him 69 games (including playoffs) to get another 25 points.

He's an average defender that isn't elite offensively but wants 7M+ a season.

Yzerman was really smart to trade him when he did. Got a 1st+2nd out of it (turned into SHL defender of the year ASP) and replaced Hronek with Ghost, who actually had more points.

We'd be smart to stay away.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
So, we'll have to wait and see what Markstrom actually gets, rumour at the deadline was Holtz, who may or may not be considered a good prospect these days, and a 1st was never confirmed at that time. There's been some wild speculation, but I find often when the dust settles things can look very different.

As for markstroms age, his remaining term is likely seen as a positive relative to Sorokins, 8 years is a liability with a goalie, not value added. Jack Campbell had great numbers until heading to EDM, Holtby was an elite starter until he turned 30 and quickly disappeared from the league, Matt Murray was a two time SC champ, then he became trash. Sometimes it's health related, but the point is a goalie in particular can go from GOAT to scapegoat in no time,

I'm pretty sure there was a fair bit more than just Holtz going back to Calgary in the deal, but that was with some retention and Calgary's meddling ownership nixed the deal because of it.

Saros and Ullmark are going to require massive long-term extensions too, yet there will be teams willing to pay multiple quality assets to acquire them knowing that fact. If Sorokin were available this would certainly be the case as well.

It's the cost of acquiring a player that is currently elite at their position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad