Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Very happy that he's signed for the season.

Hopefully he gets plenty of icetime and proves his doubters wrong. Looking at you Shawn Simpson.

Lol
It’s probably true, pushed off puck too easily in defensive zone. He competes hard, but just to small to be a strong defender. Sure if his offence was lights out, it would make up for it, but it isn’t.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Good deal for Brannstrom, I'd be afraid he'd ask for something near what Liljigren got and good on Dorion for saving 400-500k if he did. Now go out and make a case for a bigger contract Branny!

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Don't see any future for him here in Ottawa
Too small one dimensional player but

Next season he Will be very useful if or when Chabot or Sanderson get hurt (Chabby missed 23 games last year)

Roster depth is the name of the game nowadays in the NHL with the long calendar and the speed of the game

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Good deal for Brannstrom, I'd be afraid he'd ask for something near what Liljigren got and good on Dorion for saving 400-500k if he did. Now go out and make a case for a bigger contract Branny!

I’d Hardly consider anything sub $1 million a good deal for a mid 1RD pick coming off his ELC.

It’s a good deal for the Sens. Branny should produce positive value in this contract.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What will be interesting for Brannstrom is whether he gets a shot at top 4 on the LD side. He may not. He may have to establish himself as a top 4 on the RD side

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What will be interesting for Brannstrom is whether he gets a shot at top 4 on the LD side. He may not. He may have to establish himself as a top 4 on the RD side
Only way he gets top 4 , is if Sanderson can’t handle it,

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm hopeful we start the year with no set 2nd or 3rd pair, I'd like to see Sanderson with Hamonic and Brannstrom with Holden and give each pair about 18 mins, that leaves a manageable 24 for the top pair and three pairings that can both move the puck and have a solid defensive conscious.

We really need to move on from Zaitsev fast...

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'm hopeful we start the year with no set 2nd or 3rd pair, I'd like to see Sanderson with Hamonic and Brannstrom with Holden and give each pair about 18 mins, that leaves a manageable 24 for the top pair and three pairings that can both move the puck and have a solid defensive conscious.

Sanderson and Brannstrom will both have times where they struggle so I’d imagine you have it nailed.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

It may be a lot like Edmonton last year, where on RD they had little concept of a number 1/2/3 in the traditional sense, more plugging in as required for the game situations. Heck there are some similarities with, bouchard somewhat like Sanderson, young good offense, expected D mistakes for a rookie, Barrie and Brannstrom similar styles needing sheltering, and Ceci/Chabot (even strength) although Ceci took the hard minutes Chabot the easy, outside of 5v5.

It was somewhat of an area of weakness for Edmonton, but they did make it work. LD ended up being far more of an issue for them, especially in the playoffs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It may be a lot like Edmonton last year, where on RD they had little concept of a number 1/2/3 in the traditional sense, more plugging in as required for the game situations. Heck there are some similarities with, bouchard somewhat like Sanderson, young good offense, expected D mistakes for a rookie, Barrie and Brannstrom similar styles needing sheltering, and Ceci/Chabot (even strength) although Ceci took the hard minutes Chabot the easy, outside of 5v5.

It was somewhat of an area of weakness for Edmonton, but they did make it work. LD ended up being far more of an issue for them, especially in the playoffs.
You lost me at "Ceci/Chabot"

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
You lost me at "Ceci/Chabot"
As it fits into the scheme, obviously not talent level.

But also Ceci gets far too heavy a rap around here. He plays far tougher minutes yet still gets the same 5v5 p/60 as Chabot. More defensive and physical, and turns the puck over far less. Fans in Edmonton are ecstatic with him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
As it fits into the scheme, obviously not talent level.

But also Ceci gets far too heavy a rap around here. He plays far tougher minutes yet still gets the same 5v5 p/60 as Chabot. More defensive and physical, and turns the puck over far less. Fans in Edmonton are ecstatic with him.

This part right here isn't remotely accurate. Despite playing on much higher scoring teams the last three years, Ceci has a pts/60 of .87 (.92 this year) at 5v5, while Chabot is at 1.11 (1.06 this year). Also, comparing a puck posession offensive Dman's turnovers to a defensive minded one is a really poor way to evaluate dmen.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
Wasn't he thought to be a RD a ways back (closer when he first joined the Senators)? That bit was always confusing (to me).

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Wasn't he thought to be a RD a ways back (closer when he first joined the Senators)? That bit was always confusing (to me).
Because of the large differences in styles of hockey in Europe vs North America due to the rink size, many Euro players (forwards and D) play their f side as it gives a distinct advantage to their game. In a North american rink size, that advantage goes the other way, hence very few players play their off side. Caveat of course is the power play, where the style in the offensive end switches to a very Euro style 5v5 type of offense and defense scheme.

As such many euro players are off side when they come over, but its hard for them to succeed like that and they have to switch.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
This part right here isn't remotely accurate. Despite playing on much higher scoring teams the last three years, Ceci has a pts/60 of .87 (.92 this year) at 5v5, while Chabot is at 1.11 (1.06 this year). Also, comparing a puck posession offensive Dman's turnovers to a defensive minded one is a really poor way to evaluate dmen.
Chabot gets far more PP time. You look at 5v5 points per 60 they both had 1.1 last year. And yes Edmonton scores more but Ceci also was not on with the top scorers that much, as evidence by the fact that Edmonton scored less 5v5 than Ottawa when Ceci was on vs when Chabot was on in Ottawa (3.0 to 2.9). For someone to have a higher point share while being much more defensive minded is notable.

But the whole point is he fit a role within his side of the D not unlike what Chabot is likely going to have to fit into this year. Chabot is a big step up, but the roles are the same.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Chabot gets far more PP time. You look at 5v5 points per 60 they both had 1.1 last year. And yes Edmonton scores more but Ceci also was not on with the top scorers that much, as evidence by the fact that Edmonton scored less 5v5 than Ottawa when Ceci was on vs when Chabot was on in Ottawa (3.0 to 2.9). For someone to have a higher point share while being much more defensive minded is notable.

But the whole point is he fit a role within his side of the D not unlike what Chabot is likely going to have to fit into this year. Chabot is a big step up, but the roles are the same.
I did post the 5v5 numbers, Ceci was at .92 in one of his better years while Chabot at 1.06 in a pretty average year

The roles are not at all the same... like, not even remotely. Even getting past the offensive vs defensive player aspect, Ceci was plugged into a hole while Chabot was asked to anchor his pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad