Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
JBD and Thomson are waiver exempt. One will have to outplay Zaitsev by a substantial amount to make the roster.
Yup, but they are likely first injury call ups and we know they are each likely to play 20+ games or so if they are.

Getting JBD paired with an offensive guy for a good look makes a lot of sense. Especially given that if they look good Dorion can accelerate getting rid of Zaitsev if he wants to make room.

Holden is easily a happy #7 roll guy if that’s how things shake out.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yup, but they are likely first injury call ups and we know they are each likely to play 20+ games or so if they are.

Getting JBD paired with an offensive guy for a good look makes a lot of sense. Especially given that if they look good Dorion can accelerate getting rid of Zaitsev if he wants to make room.

Holden is easily a happy #7 roll guy if that’s how things shake out.
There is an opportunity for either JBD or Thomson if one of them play great through camp and in preseason games. I don’t think Dorion would hesitate to send Zaitsev to Belleville if he is significantly outplayed by either of the 2 kids. Holden and Brannstrom are both roster locks even if they suck since both would likely be claimed.

Reactions: Emrasie

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Always shocked when reminded that Bernard-Docker and Branny are under 9 months apart in age. Branny has shown much more in both AHL and NHL yet he is given an incredibly shorter leash and is already written off by many 🤷🏽‍♂️

I often read non-Sens fans refer to Brannstrom as a "bust"

The reasoning is that he can't crack a terrible roster. Some people have a very basic and superficial evaluation process but it's a very complex sport with a lot of moving parts, you need to really be invested in it to see beyond the surface. There is a lot of context regarding Brannstrom :

- he was the main piece in return for Mark Stone (unrealistic expectations)
- he came to NA very young (it's normal that it takes time to establish himself in the NHL as a D-man)
- the Senators as a rebuilding team had the luxury to be patient to graduate their young players
- not easy to establish yourself on a bad team and playing with someone like Josh Brown

Yet, Brannstrom has 27 pts in his last 83 games at 21 & 22 y/o and had a lot of games with 22+ minutes down the stretch

Last edited:
Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I often read non-Sens fans refer to Brannstrom as a "bust"

The reasoning is that he can't crack a terrible roster. Some people have a very basic and superficial evaluation process but it's a very complex sport with a lot of moving parts, you need to really be invested in it to see beyond the surface. There is a lot of context regarding Brannstrom :

- he was the main piece in return for Mark Stone (unrealistic expectations)
- he came to NA very young (it's normal that it takes time to establish himself in the NHL as a D-man)
- the Senators as a rebuilding team had the luxury to be patient to graduate their young players
- ot easy to establish yourself on a bad team and playing with someone like Josh Brown

Yet, Brannstrom has 27 pts in his last 83 games at 21 & 22 y/o and had a lot of games with 22+ minutes down the stretch
In addition to that, I'd say part of the issue is him getting injured and usage. DJ has played plugs instead of Brannstrom. This past season he played Brannstrom more and more as the season progressed, but there'd be games when guys like JBrown was played more and the year before, guys like Gudbranson, Coburn, Rielly, etc... Part of the issue is DJ needing to let the man play and get better

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
In addition to that, I'd say part of the issue is him getting injured and usage. DJ has played plugs instead of Brannstrom. This past season he played Brannstrom more and more as the season progressed, but there'd be games when guys like JBrown was played more and the year before, guys like Gudbranson, Coburn, Rielly, etc... Part of the issue is DJ needing to let the man play and get better

Yes, but a big reason for that is simply Chabot. With Chabot already getting 65% O zone starts and all the prime minutes, it means the guys behind him get the crap minutes. And Brannstrom is not the type of player that excels, or even really survives in those minutes. Thats where you plug in Brown, Coburn, Gubranson et al.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Yes, but a big reason for that is simply Chabot. With Chabot already getting 65% O zone starts and all the prime minutes, it means the guys behind him get the crap minutes. And Brannstrom is not the type of player that excels, or even really survives in those minutes. Thats where you plug in Brown, Coburn, Gubranson et al.
So we were a lotto team with Brown, Coburn and Gudbranson. We literally could not have been worse by playing Brann and lo and behold, once they were gone and Brannstrom played more, we saw more on ice success

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There is an opportunity for either JBD or Thomson if one of them play great through camp and in preseason games. I don’t think Dorion would hesitate to send Zaitsev to Belleville if he is significantly outplayed by either of the 2 kids. Holden and Brannstrom are both roster locks even if they suck since both would likely be claimed.
For sure,
So we were a lotto team with Brown, Coburn and Gudbranson. We literally could not have been worse by playing Brann and lo and behold, once they were gone and Brannstrom played more, we saw more on ice success
but what if we were better? Lol

Seriously though, Bran was a rookie and was getting caved in in the D zone. He needed time and heavily sheltered minutes to learn how to play within his size and speed in the NHL. Both DJ and Trent mentioned the same areas that Bran had to work on.

While he learned, we sheltered him with plugs and kept our draft position high.

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
If Brannstrom is not physically strong enough to be a defenseman, why don't they try him up forward? He has all the tools and skills to be an effective NHL player.

He would likely get destroyed behind the other team’s net by their big D. I know we have other small forwards in the system but Bran gets hit quite often. And we don’t need more forwards in top 9. Just move him at this point. Package him for something.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Brann is such a great piece tactically. Despite his young age and relative inexperience he has already been asked to step up into bigger roles and has performed admirably.

The team didn't miss a beat when Chabot went down and Bran had to take over. To have depth like that hidden on the 3rd pair is how you contend.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Brann is such a great piece tactically. Despite his young age and relative inexperience he has already been asked to step up into bigger roles and has performed admirably.

The team didn't miss a beat when Chabot went down and Bran had to take over. To have depth like that hidden on the 3rd pair is how you contend.

Joe Corvo was far from perfect, but he was a big part of the '07 finals team playing on the 3rd pair and 2nd PP.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Joe Corvo was far from perfect, but he was a big part of the '07 finals team playing on the 3rd pair and 2nd PP.
Joe Corvo could rip pucks and skate it out of trouble. Didn't get pushed around in his own zone. I wish Brannstrom could do any of those things.

I want him to succeed and he looks great in the O zone but he just doesn't break the puck out well enough to be an NHL regular on a good team with his size deficiencies.

Reactions: aragorn

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He still never shoots, at the end of the game he could have put a few pucks to the net but is alwasy dishing it out to the wingers, Drives me nuts.

Reactions: Samsquanch

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Writing is on the wall for Brann. He could carve out a career on another team's bottom pairing but he's clearly behind JBD and Lassi going forward and imo only ahead of Zaitsev on our roster.

Chabot
Zub
Sanderson
Hamonic
Holden
JBD
Lassi

Brannstrom
Zaitsev

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brannstrom is competing with Holden for the 3LD spot. I’d be happy if he forces his way in. His performance last night was okay, I was hoping he would stand out in a good way but at least he wasn't bad.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Agreed, which also highlights the issue. Chabot is the road block in the way of Brannstroms success. The type of minutes Brannstrom needs to succeed are already claimed.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Brannstrom is competing with Holden for the 3LD spot. I’d be happy if he forces his way in. His performance last night was okay, I was hoping he would stand out in a good way but at least he wasn't bad.
Agree, but telling tale is these two stats from last year.

DZ starts, Holden 74%, Brannstrom 38%
PK time Holden 3:05, Brannstrom 0:50

Given the minuets Chabot gets, and the high unlikelyhood that Sanderson will be anything but sheltered, the team NEEDS someone on that left hand side who can handle really tough minutes. And Holden has done that in the past.

It hardly makes sense for Ottawa to have 3LHD who are all requiring 65% O Zone starts and no PK time. Hence I think Holden has a virtual lock on a spot with decent minutes. Brannstrom is more competing with Sanderson and Chabot for minutes than Holden.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Writing is on the wall for Brann. He could carve out a career on another team's bottom pairing but he's clearly behind JBD and Lassi going forward and imo only ahead of Zaitsev on our roster.

Chabot
Zub
Sanderson
Hamonic
Holden
JBD
Lassi

Brannstrom
Zaitsev
lol writing might be on the wall but Brannstrom here soon, but he isn't behind JBD or Lassi at all. They haven't done anything to leapfrog him, same goes for Sanderson right now, In due time he should though.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007

Brannstrom taking it on the chin a little after last night's game

First clip, Brann is first on the puck, makes a weak play on the puck, then wins a battle for it, throws it away to the corner. Then he's the only guy playing D protecting the net with two bigger bodies in front. Puck goes in the corner, he's the first to jump on it, gets dumped by a bigger guy with more momentum, big whoop.
In those 18 seconds, he's the only Senator to touch the puck 3 times and who was anywhere near the play.

He going to get thrown around his whole career because he's undersized for sure. He's never going to be a #1 guy or the prospect we though we were getting in return for Stone. He can easily be a top 4 in this league. But 100% there are issues he needs to sort out fast, I feel like he's simplified his game too much and taken out the creativity that he once had that made him successful. He barely skates, always making the safest first pass as possible, never shoots when he can, never carries the puck, his play is too predictable and it's easy to play against right now imo.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
First clip, Brann is first on the puck, makes a weak play on the puck, then wins a battle for it, throws it away to the corner. Then he's the only guy playing D protecting the net with two bigger bodies in front. Puck goes in the corner, he's the first to jump on it, gets dumped by a bigger guy with more momentum, big whoop.
In those 18 seconds, he's the only Senator to touch the puck 3 times and who was anywhere near the play.

He going to get thrown around his whole career because he's undersized for sure. He's never going to be a #1 guy or the prospect we though we were getting in return for Stone. He can easily be a top 4 in this league. But 100% there are issues he needs to sort out fast, I feel like he's simplified his game too much and taken out the creativity that he once had that made him successful. He barely skates, always making the safest first pass as possible, never shoots when he can, never carries the puck, his play is too predictable and it's easy to play against right now imo.
Thanks for the break down.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Brannstrom taking it on the chin a little after last night's game

I'm struggling with lalimes Martin's take there, the turnover had nothing to do with physicality or lack there of, Brannstrom just played it really poorly.

Puck hung up on the boards on him, he left space between the boards allowing the F1 to get inside position on him, he actually recovered well, winning the puck battle with the F1 and chipping it behind the net before F2 arrived, but he put it too far for Guinette to get who had coasted in ostensibly to provide support. Because Guinette wasn't there to provide the outlet option for Brannstrom, the puck went to the far side where F3 collected the puck.

But let's blame it on on Brannstrom being too small...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad