Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Wasn't he thought to be a RD a ways back (closer when he first joined the Senators)? That bit was always confusing (to me).
He thought of himself as an RD meaning that was his preferred side

It is harder to play your off side on D in the D zone because it is tougher to move the puck and because your stick in your top hand is on the outside not the inside

The team was adamant that he figure out how to play in his own zone on his strong side first.

Personally I think he made great strides last year

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
He thought of himself as an RD meaning that was his preferred side

It is harder to play your off side on D in the D zone because it is tougher to move the puck and because your stick in your top hand is on the outside not the inside

The team was adamant that he figure out how to play in his own zone on his strong side first.

Personally I think he made great strides last year
I think Branstrom/Holden probably have the inside track for that third pair, with Sanderson and Hamonic in the second pair slot. Maybe a 2a 2b kind of thing to start. Chabot/Zub will be the top pair.

If Zaitsev comes in strong, or either RD kid won’t be denied, I suspect we’ll see Holden be number 7 and Zaitsev either sent down through Waivers or traded.

We’ll need someone to be the warrior on the PK that Zaitsev was. Not the best with the puck, but a fearless shot blocker and was pretty vicious physically. Hamonic maybe? Holden was a solid PKer as well. Sanderson will perhaps get a look as well to see how well rounded his game can be.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Good contract for Brannstrom to show his stuff. Sounds like he will get an opportunity, at least until the TDL,

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
As it fits into the scheme, obviously not talent level.

But also Ceci gets far too heavy a rap around here. He plays far tougher minutes yet still gets the same 5v5 p/60 as Chabot. More defensive and physical, and turns the puck over far less. Fans in Edmonton are ecstatic with him.
I have lived in alberta my whole life. I have never heard an oiler fan say “I’m ecstatic with Cody Ceci”.

I’m sure it does happen, but I think you are overselling.

Reactions: bicboi64 and NyQuil

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Maybe it’s my optimism speaking but I think Brannstrom “breaks out” this year. He’s thicker coming into camp and he will be on the ice with talented forwards more often. I am thinking he will reestablish some of his value by putting up numbers commensurate with his vision and skill. I really think he should be our everyday 3LD.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Maybe it’s my optimism speaking but I think Brannstrom “breaks out” this year. He’s thicker coming into camp and he will be on the ice with talented forwards more often. I am thinking he will reestablish some of his value by putting up numbers commensurate with his vision and skill. I really think he should be our everyday 3LD.

giphy.webp

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I've always like the tools I see in him, He's not a quick skater, but he is solid on his skates and has great lateral mobility. People complain that he gets hit too much, but from my perspective, it's often a case of taking a hit to make the play, which we used to praise guys for.

The strength to win board battles and in front of the net will probably always be an issue, but if he can get some support from his D partner or the center on that front, I think he's got a chance to be a pretty good player

He was doing the things that create chances last year, I see him registering points this year a lot more frequently as we have depth up front that can finish now.

I'm optimistic about his chances, I get the feeling that when the vibes in the room are more positive, the players put in more work to improve, and the trickle down effect will help us top to bottom.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I've always like the tools I see in him, He's not a quick skater, but he is solid on his skates and has great lateral mobility. People complain that he gets hit too much, but from my perspective, it's often a case of taking a hit to make the play, which we used to praise guys for.

The strength to win board battles and in front of the net will probably always be an issue, but if he can get some support from his D partner or the center on that front, I think he's got a chance to be a pretty good player

He was doing the things that create chances last year, I see him registering points this year a lot more frequently as we have depth up front that can finish now.

I'm optimistic about his chances, I get the feeling that when the vibes in the room are more positive, the players put in more work to improve, and the trickle down effect will help us top to bottom.
The issue of "he gets hit too much" was not nearly as prevalent in the final 20 games or so of last year. I felt he had adapted and wasn't getting hit nearly as much as he had earlier in his career.

I think the big reason to keep him on the team is that he's a legit quarterback for that 2nd unit PP. When Chabot was injured last year I thought the PP looked just as good with Brannstrom as it had with Chabot.

But, I still think the Sens management just don't really like the guy and he won't get a fair shake here unless there's some injuries. We'll see.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Always shocked when reminded that Bernard-Docker and Branny are under 9 months apart in age. Branny has shown much more in both AHL and NHL yet he is given an incredibly shorter leash and is already written off by many 🤷🏽‍♂️
23 year old defensemen who can break out of your zone and has mobility. I really hope management does everything they can to have him succeed. If he's healthy, I expect 82 games from him on the roster.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Always shocked when reminded that Bernard-Docker and Branny are under 9 months apart in age. Branny has shown much more in both AHL and NHL yet he is given an incredibly shorter leash and is already written off by many 🤷🏽‍♂️
One's associated with Mark Stone. Although to be fair, we traded down because we seemingly didn't want K'Andre Miller, for JBD.

Draft's always a crapshoot though. If JBD ends up busting along with Tychonick, our other pick from the K'Andre trade, we missed out on Sandin, Lundkvist, Durzi, but in the meanwhile I was eyeballing Bahl :P

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Bran is getting lots of chances. He’s played a ton more games than JBD and it’s always been his play in the D zone that needed attention.

This season it looks like he’ll be with Holden, and yesterday DJ alluded to the fact that one of the D will play their offside, which is probably Bran with Holden.

Bran is getting a lot of ice time, and a lot of opportunity to show what he can do with the Sens. He’s even been Chabot’s replacement on the PP when he was injured.

I would argue that Tompson and JBD are the ones that need to be given a shot now (not at the expense of Bran, rather injury call ups). We need to see if we have a replacement for Holden & Hamonic in the pipeline.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Maybe be you're right, i hope so, but last year start of the season and DJ choices after camp on D give me PTSD.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bran is getting lots of chances. He’s played a ton more games than JBD and it’s always been his play in the D zone that needed attention.

This season it looks like he’ll be with Holden, and yesterday DJ alluded to the fact that one of the D will play their offside, which is probably Bran with Holden.

Bran is getting a lot of ice time, and a lot of opportunity to show what he can do with the Sens. He’s even been Chabot’s replacement on the PP when he was injured.

I would argue that Tompson and JBD are the ones that need to be given a shot now (not at the expense of Bran, rather injury call ups). We need to see if we have a replacement for Holden & Hamonic in the pipeline.
JBD and Thomson are waiver exempt. One will have to outplay Zaitsev by a substantial amount to make the roster.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The 4th line & the 3rd pairing are role parts & the team will dress the guys that play a role they need. It's not about being a better player, it's about playing the role the team needs against certain teams. Dave Smart made that clear the other day on the Team 1200 & said that is what most fans don't understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad