Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I used to enjoy watching Francis Bouillon play. Not because he was great or anything but it was impressive seeing a guy listed at 5’8 (no way he was that tall, relatively speaking) hold his own.

200lbs on his frame certainly qualified as a fire hydrant.
He was a decent player, forgot about him but yeah he was thick. I was thinking more along the lines of Timmonen.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
He was a decent player, forgot about him but yeah he was thick. I was thinking more along the lines of Timmonen.

I’m definitely not making a comparison lol. Just the first fire hydrant that came to mind.

Timonen is definitely someone I hoped Brannstrom would model his game when we acquired him but I always thought that was shooting a little high.

I don’t think he’ll ever reach that level, at least not in Ottawa. It took Timonen some time to build up his body and develop at the NHL level. Brannstrom hasn’t outright seized and won’t be given the opportunity to get there.

This offseason is HUGE for Brannstrom’s NHL future.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No shot he is that tall. People can see how small he is. If you're a D his size you need to be an either incredible skater or built like a fire hydrant. He unfortunately is neither.

How many sub 6 ft d men do you see Tampa dress.... How many sub 6'2 d men do you see Tampa dress? It's not impossible obviously but you have to be a special player to stay healthy enough to go deep and defend at that level. When you watch Brannstrom do you see 'special player'?

I don't mind Brannstrom as a depth regular season guy. But if I'm rolling into the playoffs I don't want him in my top 6. If he is... It's not going to be a very long spring.
There were 19 sub 6' Dmen in the playoffs this year. Only 3 listed as 5'9 though,

2 won the cup this year (Girard and Makar)
Krug won in 2019,
Orlov in 2018
Pens had 3 in 2017, Daley, Ruhdewel, and Streit but only Dayley played a significant role.

You can't build a team of small dmen, but you can fit one in and still be competitive in the playoffs imo. 5'9 is pushing it though...

Reactions: Cosmix and NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
There were 19 sub 6' Dmen in the playoffs this year. Only 3 listed as 5'9 though,

2 won the cup this year (Girard and Makar)
Krug won in 2019,
Orlov in 2018
Pens had 3 in 2017, Daley, Ruhdewel, and Streit but only Dayley played a significant role.

You can't build a team of small dmen, but you can fit one in and still be competitive in the playoffs imo. 5'9 is pushing it though...
Good post, Girard didnt survive and he is a much more talented player than Brann. Makar is a generational talent. Krug was an all start and top offensive D man on Boston. Orlov is a thick guy and skates better than Brannstrom. Daley was one of the best skaters in hockey. Its pretty easy to see how he wouldnt be a guy a contender carries in his lineup. He can be a depth guy but not a mainstay.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Given how tight we are going to be to the cap next year if we re-sign DeBrincat and go long term with Stu, it would have been nice to get a 2nd year of a cheap contract for Brann, if he plays well I can't see him not getting traded as we won't be able to fit him in anyways...

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Given how tight we are going to be to the cap next year if we re-sign DeBrincat and go long term with Stu, it would have been nice to get a 2nd year of a cheap contract for Brann, if he plays well I can't see him not getting traded as we won't be able to fit him in anyways...
We have another 3 RFA years of control.

Even if he goes off on a 2nd pairing stud type year, he'll only be a ~2M short contract, and won't even have arbitration rights next summer. 4-5 years is when it'll start to creep into the 4M+ range of AAV, like Zub contract progression..

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

This 1 year almost guarantees that Brannstrom is going to get traded in the near future. Unless he shows no progression and even regress to be a Mete depth guy and we sign him cheap another year or two

But if he continues his progression, he will inevitably price himself out of Ottawa. With Stutzle, DeBrincat, Zub and Pinto extensions next season, we're going to be in cap hell already

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
This 1 year almost guarantees that Brannstrom is going to get traded in the near future. Unless he shows no progression and even regress to be a Mete depth guy and we sign him cheap another year or two

But if he continues his progression, he will inevitably price himself out of Ottawa. With Stutzle, DeBrincat, Zub and Pinto extensions next season, we're going to be in cap hell already
I don't think Brannstrom pricing himself out of Ottawa would be the worst thing to happen - it would give the team an asset to move for playoff help, draft picks, or younger players. Given he is still cost controlled, he would command a decent return. And with Chabot and Sanderson (hopefully!) anchoring the left D, and a number of left D in the system (Kleven?) that will potentially produce a bottom pair LD in the future, maybe him pricing himself out is the best thing that could happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'm holding out hope for Brann. I think he'll be like Ceci and just take a long time to hit his stride. I think his floor is Chris Campoli, and I mean that in a good way.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think this could be Brannstrom's last yr in Ottawa. They have two RD in Belleville knocking on the door, Sanderson has leap frogged him & they have Kleven coming next yr. They have to make room at some point for the younger D with more potential.

Reactions: Cosmix and Samboni

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't think Brannstrom pricing himself out of Ottawa would be the worst thing to happen - it would give the team an asset to move for playoff help, draft picks, or younger players. Given he is still cost controlled, he would command a decent return. And with Chabot and Sanderson (hopefully!) anchoring the left D, and a number of left D in the system (Kleven?) that will potentially produce a bottom pair LD in the future, maybe him pricing himself out is the best thing that could happen.

Yes, it could be one of the best thing to happen for Ottawa this season (I mean on an individualistic level)

We have lost a lot in terms of draft capital with Logan Brown and couldn't sell Connor Brown when his value was high so a Brannstrom breakout would be very welcomed

I think this could be Brannstrom's last yr in Ottawa. They have two RD in Belleville knocking on the door, Sanderson has leap frogged him & they have Kleven coming next yr. They have to make room at some point for the younger D with more potential.

Brannstrom's future with the Sens has never been long term, at least not since Dorion said that he won't ever play RD in Ottawa. Well, he still did last year, 4% of his shifts

Reactions: Blotto71

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Yes, it could be one of the best thing to happen for Ottawa this season (I mean on an individualistic level)

We have lost a lot in terms of draft capital with Logan Brown and couldn't sell Connor Brown when his value was high so a Brannstrom breakout would be very welcomed

Brannstrom's future with the Sens has never been long term, at least not since Dorion said that he won't ever play RD in Ottawa. Well, he still did last year, 4% of his shifts

Ya injuries happen

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Very happy that he's signed for the season.

Hopefully he gets plenty of icetime and proves his doubters wrong. Looking at you Shawn Simpson.

Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad