Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Erik Brannstrom | #26​

D | 5' 10" | 185 lb | Age: 22
Ottawa Senators
Which is close to 5'9 than it is to 6'

Besides, the sens own media guide for training camp last year listed him at 5'9, he's likely 5'9½ and wherever you pulled that from rounded up.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Besides, the sens own media guide for training camp last year listed him at 5'9, he's likely 5'9½ and wherever you pulled that from rounded up.

NHL.com -

The only legitimate resource in the world. 🤣

He is 178 cms or just over 5’-10”

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Yup. Some sites say 5'10, but he is clearly closer to 5'9, imo. Regardless, definitely undersized for a defender, especially his frame. He doesn't have that Ryan Ellis build I was hoping he'd posssess. Then again he's only 22, he may grow that this next year. Similar to Nylander in past few years.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
NHL.com -

The only legitimate resource in the world. 🤣

He is 178 cms or just over 5’-10”
If our media guide is saying 5'9 I'd take that over NHL.com given that the team does physicals every year at the start of camp and if anything is incentivized to say he's bigger than he is rather than smaller. No way he is 5'10.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Brown, Formenton, Joseph, Stu

That’s a fast tenacious PK forward group. We already get at least one short handed breakaway a game, it would be nice if one of the guys getting them could score regularly on breakaways.

For real that would be an extra goal every couple games…

We also need to work on two on ones, we never do the early pass to get the defender to stay on his feet. That double pass looks beauty when you can make it work.

Lots of good pieces there but face offs are a huge part of PK. If Pinto can figure out faceoffs at the NHL level like he did in college he’ll be a lock there and hopefully Kastelic will force his way onto the PK as well.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I believe the listed weight, but given how thick he looks out there (relatively speaking), there’s no way he’s 5’10.

Same for Ryan Ellis.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He was 5'9 at the combine but I guess with the weight of the Sens rebuild resting on his shoulders he shrunk a bit...
Platform running shoes. All that weight training can compress you a little. Lies

He may be and they are usually right but sometimes wrong. I heard 5'8 on TSN 1200 and I trust them.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He was 5'9 at the combine but I guess with the weight of the Sens rebuild resting on his shoulders he shrunk a bit...
Combine measurements are the only reliable measurements. I cannot find Brannstrom’s true combine measurements but he is definitely not 5’10” at the moment and I doubt he was really 5’9” at the combine.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
My bet is closer to 5'8 .
100%. NHL heights are often overstated, and the weights they give are often inaccurate also. It's like the NFL Combine - guys arrive there and they suddenly shrink two inches and lose 20 pounds from the numbers listed by their respective NCAA teams. Brannstrom is likely 5'8", maybe 5'9" on a good day. He's nowhere close to being 5'10".

Reactions: bert and NB613

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
100%. NHL heights are often overstated, and the weights they give are often inaccurate also. It's like the NFL Combine - guys arrive there and they suddenly shrink two inches and lose 20 pounds from the numbers listed by their respective NCAA teams. Brannstrom is likely 5'8", maybe 5'9" on a good day. He's nowhere close to being 5'10".

Okay. But he plays like a 5'-10" defenseman....

1656875889016.png

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The Combine measurements are most likely to be correct at the time taken.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Erik Brannstrom | #26​

D | 5' 10" | 185 lb | Age: 22
Ottawa Senators
No shot he is that tall. People can see how small he is. If you're a D his size you need to be an either incredible skater or built like a fire hydrant. He unfortunately is neither.

Because they won without Girard means you can't win with a sub 6 foot defenceman? That logic makes no sense.
How many sub 6 ft d men do you see Tampa dress.... How many sub 6'2 d men do you see Tampa dress? It's not impossible obviously but you have to be a special player to stay healthy enough to go deep and defend at that level. When you watch Brannstrom do you see 'special player'?

I don't mind Brannstrom as a depth regular season guy. But if I'm rolling into the playoffs I don't want him in my top 6. If he is... It's not going to be a very long spring.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
No shot he is that tall. People can see how small he is. If you're a D his size you need to be an either incredible skater or built like a fire hydrant. He unfortunately is neither.

I used to enjoy watching Francis Bouillon play. Not because he was great or anything but it was impressive seeing a guy listed at 5’8 (no way he was that tall, relatively speaking) hold his own.

200lbs on his frame certainly qualified as a fire hydrant.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad