Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Thomson is showing that he is a realiable defenceman in these past two games as is JBD, both play a solid defensive game. If Thomson can play more minutes with Chabot that allows Zub to play with the 2nd pairing LD to help him out improving the defence. By the end of the yr we could see a top four of Chabot, Thomson, Sanderson & Zub, we might also see Kleven & JBD on the last pairing if Kleven also comes out of school which he might. I expect that by the TDL J. Brown, Holden & maybe Mete could all be gone.

Definitely a possibility but not probably going to happen for all of the youngsters. I expect Sanderson to step into the NHL immediately and Thompson to be called up after a D vet is traded near the TDL. Kleven and JBD need more time. But I have been wrong many times on many things. :)

Reactions: aragorn

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Because Brannstrom has a broken hand and can't play?

One broken hand just means that he has one -unbroken- hand.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

GoMyTeam

Aug 20, 2017
When can we expect brannstrom back and will he be sent to the ahl?
"Defenceman Erik Brannstrom , who broke his hand Nov. 11 against the Los Angeles Kings blocking a shot, is closing in on a return. Smith confirmed Saturday Brannstrom has resumed skating and the hope is he can start skating with the team after the Christmas break. If that happens then Brannstrom may be able to play sometime in January"

From Garrioch the other day

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
With Chabot & most likely Sanderson on the left side & Zub, Thomson or JBD on the right side & Zaitsev having two more yrs on his contract, I don't see a spot for Brannstrom in the top 4 pairing. Given that almost every team has bigger defencemen on their 3rd pairings & need some for the PK, I don't see Brannstrom on the bottom pairing either. I think Thomson starts the season in Ottawa next season, he seems the closest to being NHL ready & JBD will be pushing Zaitsev.

Eventually this GM will get lucky & one of his useless acquisitions on D could accidently work out. Heatherington LD as an example hasn't been terrible & plays a simple stay at home style & is being used on the PK. It's probably likely that Dorion will try & bring in another vet 3rd pairing LD this summer & hope that guy works out. And if he doesn't he still has Heatherington if they decide to re-sign him on another two way.

Chabot - Thomson
Sanderson - Zub
UFA - Zaitsev
Heatherington - JBD

Reactions: Cosmix

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
With Chabot & most likely Sanderson on the left side & Zub, Thomson or JBD on the right side & Zaitsev having two more yrs on his contract, I don't see a spot for Brannstrom in the top 4 pairing. Given that almost every team has bigger defencemen on their 3rd pairings & need some for the PK, I don't see Brannstrom on the bottom pairing either.

We had guys like Pothier and Preissing on the 3rd pairing.

Reactions: Masked

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
With Chabot & most likely Sanderson on the left side & Zub, Thomson or JBD on the right side & Zaitsev having two more yrs on his contract, I don't see a spot for Brannstrom in the top 4 pairing. Given that almost every team has bigger defencemen on their 3rd pairings & need some for the PK, I don't see Brannstrom on the bottom pairing either. I think Thomson starts the season in Ottawa next season, he seems the closest to being NHL ready & JBD will be pushing Zaitsev.

Eventually this GM will get lucky & one of his useless acquisitions on D could accidently work out. Heatherington LD as an example hasn't been terrible & plays a simple stay at home style & is being used on the PK. It's probably likely that Dorion will try & bring in another vet 3rd pairing LD this summer & hope that guy works out. And if he doesn't he still has Heatherington if they decide to re-sign him on another two way.

Chabot - Thomson
Sanderson - Zub
UFA - Zaitsev
Heatherington - JBD
Thomson is going from AHL to top pairing? Seems highly unlikely and a disaster waiting to happen. The Sens need to bring in a vet top 4 defensemen

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Thomson is going from AHL to top pairing? Seems highly unlikely and a disaster waiting to happen. The Sens need to bring in a vet top 4 defensemen

He's already played with Chabot on a regular basis & I imagine he might again as well, why wouldn't he? Given how much ice time Chabot gets it's also likely that Chabot will split time with Zub & Zaitsev too as he does now. I think they will want an experienced D like Zub or Zaitsev to spend some time with Sanderson until he is aclimized to the NHL.

It's been two or more yrs that they needed to bring in a top 4 RD & look how that has gone. With Sanderson coming I doubt they spend very much on a top 4 RD, if they can even get one to come here. They could have two in waiting in Thomson & JBD, they just need one to take the next step & at the moment Thomsn seems closer.

We had guys like Pothier and Preissing on the 3rd pairing.

It's already a soft defence core & if you add another small soft player well IMO it gets worse & they get physically overpowered. And given the history so far of this coach I think it's much more likely he goes with a big physical guy back there to handle some of the rough stuff & play the PK.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
He's already played with Chabot on a regular basis & I imagine he might again as well, why wouldn't he? Given how much ice time Chabot gets it's also likely that Chabot will split time with Zub & Zaitsev too as he does now. I think they will want an experienced D like Zub or Zaitsev to spend some time with Sanderson until he is aclimized to the NHL.

It's been two or more yrs that they needed to bring in a top 4 RD & look how that has gone. With Sanderson coming I doubt they spend very much on a top 4 RD, if they can even get one to come here. They could have two in waiting in Thomson & JBD, they just need one to take the next step & at the moment Thomsn seems closer.

It's already a soft defence core & if you add another small soft player well IMO it gets worse & they get physically overpowered. And given the history so far of this coach I think it's much more likely he goes with a big physical guy back there to handle some of the rough stuff & play the PK.
'regular basis' should be used loosely here. He did for a handful of games then his game dropped a bit and they wanted him to develop more. He still has some work to do to be a top pairing guy in the NHL especially for a team that is aiming for a playoff spot next year. Also its a lot of pressure and not needed. bring in a top 4 guy and put Zub with Chabot and Sanderson or Bran with the new player

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
'regular basis' should be used loosely here. He did for a handful of games then his game dropped a bit and they wanted him to develop more. He still has some work to do to be a top pairing guy in the NHL especially for a team that is aiming for a playoff spot next year. Also its a lot of pressure and not needed. bring in a top 4 guy and put Zub with Chabot and Sanderson or Bran with the new player
I'm not saying he will end up as a top pairing guy, he was sharing that spot with Zub & Zaitsev during those games & did alright. He seems the most NHL ready of those that have been called up so far & I imagine he doesn't need any more time in the AHL after this season.

I think next season he makes the team & again shares time with Zub & Zaitsev with Chabot. I also don't think JBD is that far behind him & we have a lot of season left for both to mature more. I agree they should bring in a top 4 guy, I'm just not sure they will & it will likely be more of the same while they wait for their prospects to mature & become NHL ready.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

He brought in Zub and Holden last year and this year. Holden has been looking good the last couple weeks.
It's very magical and unlikely that anyone can rebuild an entire team in two years. Zub looks fantastic Holden looks solid.
Sure they are catching some throw back crap in the net but they keep adding decent guys every year.
Jimmy, Norris, Zub, Pinto, Holden, even Batherson got his first full year in. Those are fantastic pieces to add the last two years.
Sanderson,Lassi and who knows next year. Everyone is so negative they are missing what is slowly taking shape.
As far as rebuilds go it isn't all that slow either.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He brought in Zub and Holden last year and this year. Holden has been looking good the last couple weeks.
It's very magical and unlikely that anyone can rebuild an entire team in two years. Zub looks fantastic Holden looks solid.
Sure they are catching some throw back crap in the net but they keep adding decent guys every year.
Jimmy, Norris, Zub, Pinto, Holden, even Batherson got his first full year in. Those are fantastic pieces to add the last two years.
Sanderson,Lassi and who knows next year. Everyone is so negative they are missing what is slowly taking shape.
As far as rebuilds go it isn't all that slow either.

I actually agree with you on the hopes for the future & the number of good prospects that are still coming. My post is mostly about the defence & who will be on the team next season.

I doubt Holden will be here, he's a UFA & most likely will be moved at the trade deadline for a pick. I think eventually Sanderson, Kleven, JBD & Thomson could all be on the defence at some point in the future as they become NHL ready. I also doubt they bring in a top 4 D, maybe Dorion succums to the pressure but whether he can find one that is available, whether he is willing to pay the price to get them & whether they actually want to come here all remains to be seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad