Traded Erik Brännström - D - Part III

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He's already played with Chabot on a regular basis & I imagine he might again as well, why wouldn't he? Given how much ice time Chabot gets it's also likely that Chabot will split time with Zub & Zaitsev too as he does now. I think they will want an experienced D like Zub or Zaitsev to spend some time with Sanderson until he is aclimized to the NHL.

It's been two or more yrs that they needed to bring in a top 4 RD & look how that has gone. With Sanderson coming I doubt they spend very much on a top 4 RD, if they can even get one to come here. They could have two in waiting in Thomson & JBD, they just need one to take the next step & at the moment Thomsn seems closer.

It's already a soft defence core & if you add another small soft player well IMO it gets worse & they get physically overpowered. And given the history so far of this coach I think it's much more likely he goes with a big physical guy back there to handle some of the rough stuff & play the PK.

I think the team does need a top 4 D but likely will not sign or trade for one.

Reactions: aragorn

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I'm not saying he will end up as a top pairing guy, he was sharing that spot with Zub & Zaitsev during those games & did alright. He seems the most NHL ready of those that have been called up so far & I imagine he doesn't need any more time in the AHL after this season.

I think next season he makes the team & again shares time with Zub & Zaitsev with Chabot. I also don't think JBD is that far behind him & we have a lot of season left for both to mature more. I agree they should bring in a top 4 guy, I'm just not sure they will & it will likely be more of the same while they wait for their prospects to mature & become NHL ready.

I hope we get to see JBD soon to see how he is progressing. I certainly hope they did not bring him up solely for insurance if a D gets injured.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Holden could be a useful #7 D and a fill-in for the 3rd pair next season.

Holden is certainly making a case for himself to be re-signed, but I'm not sure they will given he might be worth something at the deadline that could help them in future. Given his age they may be able to trade him at the TDL & then re-sign him in the off season or find another similar UFA D to fill a 3rd pairing role or 7th D. They will still have Zaitsev & MDZ under contract if they don't buy them out too.

They have two former 1st rd draft picks who are both RDs & at some point they should be NHL ready soon. Thomson looks the most ready at this time & I assume by next season could be on the roster full time. We'll get to see JBD soon enough & see where he is in his development but he also has the rest of the yr to develop his game further. Given his time at UND which seems to have a pro program especially for defencemen he could be closer than people think. And they still have Brannstrom who is close too.

Sanderson is another defenceman that most think could step into the lineup right now & be a good player for Ottawa. I assume he will leave school after this yr & we should see him in the lineupm before the end of this season. Kleven's siutuation is a little different, although a good skating big bodied D it's unclear whether he leaves school after this yr & whether his game is developed enough to maybe join Belleville at season's end. He may return to school.

These could be the 8 D that are around to start next season. Not enough size & toughness on D IMO.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Zaitsev
MDZ - Thomson
Brannstrom - JBD

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Holden is certainly making a case for himself to be re-signed, but I'm not sure they will given he might be worth something at the deadline that could help them in future. Given his age they may be able to trade him at the TDL & then re-sign him in the off season or find another similar UFA D to fill a 3rd pairing role or 7th D. They will still have Zaitsev & MDZ under contract if they don't buy them out too.

They have two former 1st rd draft picks who are both RDs & at some point they should be NHL ready soon. Thomson looks the most ready at this time & I assume by next season could be on the roster full time. We'll get to see JBD soon enough & see where he is in his development but he also has the rest of the yr to develop his game further. Given his time at UND which seems to have a pro program especially for defencemen he could be closer than people think. And they still have Brannstrom who is close too.

Sanderson is another defenceman that most think could step into the lineup right now & be a good player for Ottawa. I assume he will leave school after this yr & we should see him in the lineupm before the end of this season. Kleven's siutuation is a little different, although a good skating big bodied D it's unclear whether he leaves school after this yr & whether his game is developed enough to maybe join Belleville at season's end. He may return to school.

These could be the 8 D that are around to start next season. Not enough size & toughness on D IMO.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Zaitsev
MDZ - Thomson
Brannstrom - JBD

I generally agree.

The 3rd and 4th pairs are very suspect at this time. Acquiring a top RD with size, strength and physicality would significantly improve the D, moving all this on the right side down one pairing. I suspect that one of not both of MDZ and Brannstrom will be traded, bought out or given away before next season. I also doubt that both Thomson and JBD will make the team next season.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
gUFuOjWFeINP8Iy6-kmSFix5dps=.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad