Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Yah I don't like losing Kostin but we knew the negotiations weren't going well. He was using the KHL as leverage. Must have had to throw him in in order for Detroit to take Yamos contract for nothing. Makes sense. Not sure why people are so confused. You thought people actually want to pay for Yamo when they know we need cap space lololololol??

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
His career year was .5 PPG, playing with Draisaitl.... This season he was around .4PPG, my grandma could probably put .2 PPG with Leon ;)

We are overvaluing Yama because of a solid half season some years ago, and when you over value him and the best thing you can say is "he isn't that bad", well......
I suppose... Cap space is gold. Guess we were going to lose Kostin no matter what which sucks too.

Reactions: nturn06

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
I'll judge this deal once I see what Holland does with the capspace. If the major addition of the summer is going to be Connor Brown, not too pleased.

Reactions: 5 14 6 1

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Annoyed that Klim was included in this, but as was the case with Pulju, he fell out of Woody's good books.

So that leaves you with...

Kane-McDavid-_______
RNH-Drai-Hyman
Foegele-McLeod-Ryan
Janmark(?)-Holloway-Lavoie
Woody has fallen out of my goodbooks. Really he was never there. How is it even possible for Klim to not have impressed the head coach.

This is a weird day. We move Yama contract which is negative value, and addition by subtraction but then lose Kostin who has all kinds of upside.

Thank the lord I don't have to watch yams anymore. I'll take that but really will miss Klim Kostin.

Reactions: Dirk Dangler

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
Detroit has until tomorrow to qualify him, He'll be Ufa if they don't.
You think Detroit picked him up as the sweetener in the deal and are not going to qualify him at just over 800K? Yzerman isn't that dumb. If that was the case Holland would have had to pay a pick based on all the other cap dumps out there. Kostin rights was the sweetener in this deal.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
In some ways, I'm starting to see this trade as a bit of creativity not typical of Holland.

I'm seeing Kostin as the asset that got Detroit to take full hit on Yamamoto since they'd have the cap space to handle the risk of arbitration. Since Edmonton likely wouldn't have qualified him because they couldn't absorb that risk, he turned a player he was likely losing within 24 hours anyways into additional cap space, whereas without this, maybe he's adding a future 2nd or 3rd round pick to have someone take the full salary.

Also keeps his contract numbers low to keep options open to sign low cost free agents elsewhere as he didn't take on a contract in return.

Reactions: subnet and Oilhawks

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Fair, but I doubt they want to over pay him either.

I do not think they are worries about that. They can afford to pay him 1.5 or even 2 mils to see how he develops. Keep in mind that Detroit can chose the length (1 or 2 years) if I remember right, if it is too much money, they pick one year and can decide then if he is worth the investment.

A team like Detroit is not that worried about overpaying a young 4th liner by 1 mil, if it is only for one year. For us that would be disaster.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a good deal to me. Should be easy to replace these guys in free agency for a fraction of the cost.
no. Actually it wont and we need to stop saying that. We need ELC contracts. go on the UFA board and list 15 guys that you think will be signed for under $1.25M that would be better. I am ok with the deal but we need to stop saying we can replace these guys through UFA. Dont forget we are competeing with 31 other teams. The UFA class is horrible.......

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
acceptable trade imo
the book on yammer is out, he’s damaged goods with limited upside
and klim is proving to be a headcase
Say what?

Klim just wanted to get paid and to play for a team that actually wants to use him. I would take that player anytime. Is it Kostins fault the headcoach is incapable of spotting a gamer that will do anything, in his lineup?

So the poster that was comparing Kostin to Glencross situation months ago has been proven to be right. Forget who it was but this is part 2 of losing a player for nothing that showed he was an absolute stud on ice willing to do anything to get shifts and outwork almost anybody. Why was Kostin so devalued by the coaching staff?

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
no. Actually it wont and we need to stop saying that. We need ELC contracts. go on the UFA board and list 15 guys that you think will be signed for under $1.25M that would be better. I am ok with the deal but we need to stop saying we can replace these guys through UFA. Dont forget we are competeing with 31 other teams. The UFA class is horrible.......
No matter how terrible the class is, there are always few decent depth players willing to sign for min salary.

We are not looking to replace Kostin by a 3-4 mil UFA.

For Yamamoto, we either wait for one of the young guys to step up, or do a trade later in the summer.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Say what?

Klim just wanted to get paid and to play for a team that actually wants to use him. I would take that player anytime. Is it Kostins fault the headcoach is incapable of spotting a gamer that will do anything, in his lineup?
Oh your poor melancholy here. Happy that Yamo is gone because short, but upset that Kostin is gone because don't over pay 4th line wingers.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Agreed, we're counting on guys like Wheeler, Toews, and Brown being willing to come here and pretty much the only reason they would is to chase a cup. Can't really count on that.

Holloway and Lavoie need to show something next season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Say what?

So the poster that was comparing Kostin to Glencross situation months ago has been proven to be right. Forget who it was but this is part 2 of losing a player for nothing that showed he was an absolute stud on ice willing to do anything to get shifts and outwork almost anybody. Why was Kostin so devalued by the coaching staff?
Maybe Kostin either didn't want to play here or priced himself out.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Glad Yamo is gone and I have zero problem with no return. I was maybe hoping for a late pick but Yamo simply wasn’t getting it done and it was no secret to other GMs.

Losing Kostin pisses me off though. Very unique player and totally worth the alleged $2.0M he wanted. Never seemed to earn Woodys trust so I guess we don’t know what we don’t know, but he sure as hell passed my eye test with flying colours. Bad move IMO.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Seems like a good deal to me. Should be easy to replace these guys in free agency for a fraction of the cost.
Please. Whens the last time we acquired a player like Kostin for essentially nothing? He is not easily replaceable, not all the facets he brings. Guy was also properly used a good glue guy in the room to crack people up and reduce some of the nerves of players around him in pressure situations. Guys like Drai appeared to love Klim and his antics. The fans for sure loved Klim and everybody I know did. He was among fan favorites here.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Glad Yamo is gone and I have zero problem with no return. I was maybe hoping for a late pick but Yamo simply wasn’t getting it done and it was no secret to other GMs.

Losing Kostin pisses me off though. Very unique player and totally worth the alleged $2.0M he wanted. Never seemed to earn Woodys trust so I guess we don’t know what we don’t know, but he sure as hell passed my eye test with flying colours. Bad move IMO.

Woodcroft the same coach that thought it was a good idea to play his star players at the end of a game and ended up almost losing one of them

Reactions: Drivesaitl

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
trade ceci and we are in the wheel house for EK65 with some cap help in a 3 way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad