Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Losing Kostin for nothing just doesn't make much sense to me. I don't understand what management is seeing that we don't.

They see a player who shot 20%, sucks at defense, takes a ton of penalties, and doesn't contribute on special teams asking for a contract at double what they can afford to pay him. I get that Oilers fans love their sandpaper players but Klim Kostins are regularly available on waivers.

I don't blame the guy for trying to cash in though, this is likely the only chance he will ever have to get a decent NHL contract.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Yamamoto yes... we knew that was coming. But Kostin...for nothing? I really liked his game and thought with proper use had a tremendous upside. Played like a cheap version of Kane... and as we all know we need grit. Let's see how they'll plug that hole......
Kostin is an RFA with supposedly higher contract demands, and a couple days to qualify him.. He couldn't earn more ice time, right or wrong. Lots of reasons he isn't worth much of anything to anyone.

Reactions: Myride

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
The two year deal for that money last year for yamo was idiotic.

Now 90% of this forum that loved yamo and all he brought can toss tomaotes at him to justify Hollands briliance at 'getting cap space'

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
They see a player who shot 20%, sucks at defense, takes a ton of penalties, and doesn't contribute on special teams asking for a contract at double what they can afford to pay him. I get that Oilers fans love their sandpaper players but Klim Kostins are regularly available on waivers.

I don't blame the guy for trying to cash in though, this is likely the only chance he will ever have to get a decent NHL contract.
I suppose if you think there's even a 10% chance he wins in arbitration then it does prevent you from making any moves with the money that's in flux. I can see where the other side is coming from. I just saw top six upside in Kostin, maybe I'm off there.

$$$ For one.
Woodcroft refusing to play him is another.

Sucks for sure, I liked Klim
Well you could argue that if he played him more they'd be even further away from being able to afford him haha

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Man Holland has no concept of asset management.

Dude probably put half his stock portfolio into Enron in the early 2000s.
Remember that Taylor Hall and Foligno were basically traded by a similarly cash-strapped team in Boston for the same return. Bailey required a 2nd round sweetener to be accepted by the Hawks.

The Oilers only chance at capturing value was that Montreal somehow included Yamamoto in their reclamation project system, but alas it appears that wasn't the case.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sucks we had to lose both for nothing but it’s the reality in the cap world, and shows you how little value he had.

Also shows you how awful Oilers drafting has been.

Reactions: Faelko

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
The two year deal for that money last year for yamo was idiotic.

Now 90% of this forum that loved yamo and all he brought can toss tomaotes at him to justify Hollands briliance at 'getting cap space'

So the two year deal didn't matter in the end is what you're saying. We're in literally the exact same position as if we signed him to a one year and walked away from him this season.

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
Because kostin was going to be let go ufa
And newhook better player than Yamamoto
Kostin is an RFA he did have arb rights though, so Maybe Holland thought he was going to get screwed by the Arbitraitor with already limited cap space. But RFA means Oilers or KHL.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Sucks but what can you do. Needed to clear Yamamoto out.

I dont think Holland was going to sign Kostin anyway but sucks to lose him. Too bad Kostin negotiation was as tough as it seems to be, I think he was a good fit here but I think you have to draw the line somewhere with him.

Reactions: Faelko

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
$$$ For one.
Woodcroft refusing to play him is another.

Sucks for sure, I liked Klim
Woody didn’t refuse to play him at all. Did you see the two viscous hits he took down the stretch back to back? He looked to suffer two head shots back to back I’m sure it was more for his own safety more so than refusing to play him. He did put him in the top 6 a few times when he running hot so

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad