Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Well hello cap space..

Losing Yama and Kostin is going to sting but tis alright... Maybe we can afford Janmark now

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Montreal def overpaid, but Newhook is younger, plays center, has a higher ceiling and was making 900k. Needs to be resigned but they should be able to get him for cheaper than Yamamoto @ 3m AAV

He also doesn't have a ton of minutes stapled to one or both of the two best offensive players in the world.

Yamamoto is not a useless player but his production is a mirage and other GMs aren't fooled.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
Losing Kostin for nothing just doesn't make much sense to me. I don't understand what management is seeing that we don't.
I don't see it as nothing, no team was going to do us a favor and take yams for nothing...kostins rights are around a 7th

So we paid a 7th to clear cap space

Last edited:

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
People do know edmomton could possibly resign kostin Saturday right????
The issue is that he wanted way too much. And he could get much more than the Oilers could afford in arbitration, and then the Oilers would be stucked with a 4th liner they cannot afford.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I suppose if you're Kostin, you know that you likely aren't going to play in the top six with McDavid and Draisaitl, so that isn't really a reason to sign. And it's hard to argue that he's better than Foegele, so you're looking at 4th on the depth chart. And you're not going to get any PP time. So thinking about it, it isn't really a very attractive place to play to try to boost value for a future contract. I imagine he'll get more opportunities in Detroit than here.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Woody didn’t refuse to play him at all. Did you see the two viscous hits he took down the stretch back to back? He looked to suffer two head shots back to back I’m sure it was more for his own safety more so than refusing to play him. He did put him in the top 6 a few times when he running hot so
I’m not blaming Woodcroft, Kostin had his limitations and there was a price point for him.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Losing Kostin for nothing just doesn't make much sense to me. I don't understand what management is seeing that we don't.
If you qualify Kostin, then he can apply for arbitration. And the Oilers are stucked with whatever what the arbitrator decides, they cannot walk nor they can trade him.

We simply cannot afford to pay a 4th liner much more than the min salary.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
I suppose if you're Kostin, you know that you likely aren't going to play in the top six with McDavid and Draisaitl, so that isn't really a reason to sign. And it's hard to argue that he's better than Foegele, so you're looking at 4th on the depth chart. And you're not going to get any PP time. So thinking about it, it isn't really a very attractive place to play to try to boost value for a future contract. I imagine he'll get more opportunities in Detroit than here.
This is doubly true when your coach plays you 5 minutes a night in the postseason despite being one of the most effective forwards.

Reactions: fresh meat

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
$$$ For one.
Woodcroft refusing to play him is another.

Sucks for sure, I liked Klim
Yeah I thought he played well to. But
leys be real, him and his agent over played there hand with demands. How do you pay a guy who was just on waivers. Bare minimum he should of got a show me deal. These guys looking to get paid after one year or rather half season in this case need there head read

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
That is a f***ing terrible trade. Couldn't even get anything for 2 players? Gross! I mean Yamamoto sucks but he isn't that bad!

Maybe this means something really big is in the works though. Who knows?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
That is a f***ing terrible trade. Couldn't even get a 7th for 2 players? Gross! I mean Yamamoto sucks but he isn't that bad!

Maybe this means something really big is in the works though. Who knows
I mean Holland didn't really have a choice. Everyone in the league knew that Yamamoto was out the door. It was either this or a buy out.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
That is a f***ing terrible trade. Couldn't even get anything for 2 players? Gross! I mean Yamamoto sucks but he isn't that bad!

Maybe this means something really big is in the works though. Who knows?

His career year was .5 PPG, playing with Draisaitl.... This season he was around .4PPG, my grandma could probably put .2 PPG with Leon ;)

We are overvaluing Yama because of a solid half season some years ago, and when you over value him and the best thing you can say is "he isn't that bad", well......

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'm stoked Yamo got traded without retention and completely avoiding a buyout. It really hurts to see Kostin go but the Flat cap pisses on our hopes. Hopefully they can move Ceci now and get an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: nturn06

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
The two year deal for that money last year for yamo was idiotic.

Now 90% of this forum that loved yamo and all he brought can toss tomaotes at him to justify Hollands briliance at 'getting cap space'
Holland misplayed both JP and Yamamoto last year. But I suspect that the second year was necessary to avoid arbitration. Based on his 20 goals 41 point season Yamamoto had a decent shot of between $3.5-4M in arbitration. Given how tight the Oilers were to the cap that would have been crippling.

Reactions: La Bamba

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Considering that Kostin wanted too much, this was a good outcome. Can't be overpaying bottom 6 guys, they gotta find guys who can out play their cap hit

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Holland misplayed both JP and Yamamoto last year. But I suspect that the second year was necessary to avoid arbitration. Based on his 20 goals 41 point season Yamamoto had a decent shot of between $3.5-4M in arbitration. Given how tight the Oilers were to the cap that would have been crippling.
You set him free if you are afraid of arbitration. Give him away last year rather than over term. 20 goals and 41 points playing almost all top 6 with two of the best players in the world. anyone scores 20 and 40 with those guys. But the oilers keep getting fooled by this.

To be a good gm you need to look ahead as well as looking at just this year. In any case it's done and he is gone.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Considering that Kostin wanted too much, this was a good outcome. Can't be overpaying bottom 6 guys, they gotta find guys who can out play their cap hit

That's exactly my view. I liked Kostin as a 4th liner, but we can only have him on min salary, and arbitration rights screwed all chances we had to keep him.

Reactions: La Bamba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad