Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Kostin was a new version of Kassian. Great for one game, okay for a few more then invisible for stretches. Took undisciplined penalties at bad times too.
In the end, he wanted more money than the Oilers could afford.
Sounds a lot like Foegle. Guy puts a disappearing act like no other.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Especially considering the opposing team had emptied their net. I don't know what kind of amnesia everyone suffers from here, but a 3 goal game with over 2 minutes left is definitely not over.
People kept saying 2-3mins left because somebody said that. Look at the game sheet. There was a faceoff with around 80secs left and Drai took it. You really think the Oilers are giving up 3 goals in 80secs of play?

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kostin is an RFA he did have arb rights though, so Maybe Holland thought he was going to get screwed by the Arbitraitor with already limited cap space. But RFA means Oilers or KHL.
Ya sorry meant RFA and gm didn't want to go to ARB since Kost had good stats

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Kostin definitely has size and talent but he has thus far lacked consistency at the NHL level. He was probably gone from the Oilers anyway so he proved to be the valuable sweetener that other clubs were looking for before they would take on Yam's contract.

I think it was a decent move by Kenny but I also believe that offering Yams a 2 year deal instead of 1 year last summer was a mistake ---well that's history.

Well, the spotlight really falls on Holloway and Lavoie now. Let's hope they both burn it up at camp and make the team. Maybe the X-man joins them by Christmas. Sooner or later young player development is all important.

Last edited:

Wookie

Jun 21, 2019
All fair. We don't know all the details. I don't agree with others that he's less value than Foegele. sub 2M should get a deal done but even if it took 2 I would pay the player and increase his utilization. He can play more minutes and roles in my estimation. In my world Kostin gets paid due to the abrasive nature of the player who can also score. A headache to play against and got some big goals, even in these playoffs where he was sparsely used. His under usage was one of the strangest things I've seen. This was our our Eddie Shack. We gave him away.

End of the day this is pro sports entertainment and Kostin was among fan favorites. he was that player who very quickly rose up to be one of the more adored players on the team. Sucks to lose him, just the entertainment value, but sucks to not have seen the utmost of what he can do on ice. Kostin was also big in the LA series. Could we not have swung some kind of deal there? Seems like Kings have been just interested in paring down roster.
i loved kostin while he was here, he had the potential to bring a lot to the team.
you don’t see holland very often take the stance that he did with kostin. pretty much ruling out any reconciliation early in the deal process. something pretty big must have scared him off, that with woody’s limited play time makes me feel there were some intangibles that didn’t sit right with the mgmt/coaching staff. all in my opinion of course

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
People kept saying 2-3mins left because somebody said that. Look at the game sheet. There was a faceoff with around 80secs left and Drai took it. You really think the Oilers are giving up 3 goals in 80secs of play?
It's a playoff game. I don't know, I wanted them to be out there in that spot, but that could be literal decades of Oiler trauma speaking.

This always makes me laugh, but remember when they blew two games in one season by allowing two goals in the last 10 seconds of regulation? I think it was against two California teams within the span of a week or two, probably during the Eakins year or maybe Kreuger. Like I don't think I've seen that happen before or after haha

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's a playoff game. I don't know, I wanted them to be out there in that spot, but that could be literal decades of Oiler trauma speaking.

This always makes me laugh, but remember when they blew two games in one season by allowing two goals in the last 10 seconds of regulation? I think it was against two California teams within the span of a week or two, probably during the Eakins year or maybe Kreuger. Like I don't think I've seen that happen before or after haha
I remember a few years ago we came very close to being the first team in NHL history to blow a 6 goal lead.

Also we gassed a couple of three goal leads this year.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You set him free if you are afraid of arbitration. Give him away last year rather than over term. 20 goals and 41 points playing almost all top 6 with two of the best players in the world. anyone scores 20 and 40 with those guys. But the oilers keep getting fooled by this.

To be a good gm you need to look ahead as well as looking at just this year. In any case it's done and he is gone.
I wish it were true that anyone scores 20 goals and 41 points just because of those guys. Especially with limited pp time. Since McDavid was drafted the only guys who have scored more ES goals in a year than Yamamoto were McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Hyman, Kane, Eberle, Hall and Maroon. In the two seasons prior to that year he had 16 ES goals in 81 games as well. For a young guy that is actually excellent production regardless of who he was playing with. He was also a fairly decent pk'er for a young kid. This year things went off the rail in good part due to injuries.

Not qualifying Yamamoto or JP would have been an option but both moves would have been very significantly criticized I expect. Bottomline though, at $3.1M he outpriced himself for the Oilers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
i loved kostin while he was here, he had the potential to bring a lot to the team.
you don’t see holland very often take the stance that he did with kostin. pretty much ruling out any reconciliation early in the deal process. something pretty big must have scared him off, that with woody’s limited play time makes me feel there were some intangibles that didn’t sit right with the mgmt/coaching staff. all in my opinion of course
I think you're right. But I question the reads of a rook coach that didn't figure out to start a different goalie, had Drai out with a minute left in a dirty decided game, and shorted Kostin constantly while playing nothing yams regular minutes. Clear that Woody didn't like Kostin and didn't want to use him. Agreed its a factor, But I don't agree with that decision or assessment on the player. The same coach refused to use Holloway. I guess there will be more pressure to do that now and I wouldn't mind if this coaching staff was micromanaged a bit more.

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
I'd like to see these times and instances where Kostin was "invisible". He was hurt for awhile but the guy always did as much as he could. The work rate and ethic was impeccable. TBH I don't know the poster, from his comments, even watched the player.
I have no issue with Kostin. I was referring to a player in Foegle that disappears for long stretches like Kassian.

I'm big on Holloway though. While he's not a tough guy, he's fast and quite the forechecker. He seems to get on opposing team's nerves. Although, we haven't seen much yet, He does have a much higher ceiling for offensive potential vs Kostin.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The best part of this trade is that the Yamo vs JP brigade is truly done with.

They both suck, people.

Yup. Also another feather in Chia’s cap. Two back to back busts in the 1st round. Some have been giving his drafting too much credit. Got some decent value in the later rounds but overall it was not great either

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nothing like giving away a good player to get rid of a bad contract you signed a year ago.

There was nothing to fear with a Kostin arbitration. Detroit will sign him to a reasonable contract and we’ll be left wondering “that was all it took?”
IMO we have now paid heavily twice for Hollands screw ups. First with Kassian and now with Yamamoto. That's while having Foegele, Nurse and Campbell all being albatross' that he's signed to one degree or another and still here. If we are forced to go cheap up front we absolutely must improve on D and/or goal.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Jamin

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I can’t believe Yzerman of all guys took on Yamamoto, I thought he was smarter than that. Sucks to lose Kostin but we’re finally Yamo and Pulju free!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad