Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm the last guy to defend Holland but I fully believe he tried to get Kostin to sign and the rumours about Kostin looking towards the KHL indicate to me he didn't have as much interest in signing here as we would've liked.

Whatever, see you never.

Reactions: McDoused

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A player that wanted a contract we couldn't afford

Yamo was a goner and we all knew it. Sunk cost fallacy. Kostin cost us Samorukov lol. Sucks to lose him but he had an extremely high SH% and wanted too much cash. I will judge once I see how we use this space.

What space? That money goes straight into Bouchard and McLeod's bank account.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You're fuming about losing Kostin? Lol
It’s not always easy finding quality bottom 6 depth outscoring. It was one of the Oilers biggest strengths last year and something the team has struggled with for years. Kostin was finally a win. And now he’s gone for nothing.

That sucks.

Reactions: RattsSSV

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It’s not always easy finding quality bottom 6 depth outscoring. It was one of the Oilers biggest strengths last year and something the team has struggled with for years. Kostin was finally a win. And now he’s gone for nothing.

That sucks.
Maybe he just didn't want to stay here.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Edmonton
Hilarious. People talking about revisionist history when the whole narrative on these boards the past week was that the team didn't have the cap to sign Kostin or that the coach wouldn't play him anyway.

I wanted to keep him and trade McLeod myself if they were going to cost the same but whatever. Definitely wasn't a popular opinion on here.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
A player that wanted a contract we couldn't afford

Yamo was a goner and we all knew it. Sunk cost fallacy. Kostin cost us Samorukov lol. Sucks to lose him but he had an extremely high SH% and wanted too much cash. I will judge once I see how we use this space.
You think it would be impossible to just sign Klim for 2M even say with term and pump and trade? Kostin has one of the best shots on the team. Put him on Drais wing once in awhile and see what he can do. The guy can snipe, even from distance and has quick delivery. Scored goals from nothing chances. Scored beauties. We had a mop of useless Yamamoto parked with Drai for years. Yet we couldn't find a way to use Klim and at worst pump and trade?

We lost Kostin, Not Samu. Kostin proved he was a player here. Anybody was in agreement with that as recently as weeks ago.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Duke74

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You set him free if you are afraid of arbitration. Give him away last year rather than over term. 20 goals and 41 points playing almost all top 6 with two of the best players in the world. anyone scores 20 and 40 with those guys. But the oilers keep getting fooled by this.

To be a good gm you need to look ahead as well as looking at just this year. In any case it's done and he is gone.
I wish it were true that anyone scores 20 goals and 41 points just because of those guys. Especially with limited pp time. Since McDavid was drafted the only guys who have scored more ES goals in a year than Yamamoto were McDavid, Draisaitl, Nuge, Hyman, Kane, Eberle, Hall and Maroon. In the two seasons prior to that year he had 16 ES goals in 81 games as well. For a young guy that is actually excellent production.

Not qualifying Yamamoto or JP would have been an option but both moves would have been very significantly criticized I expect.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Hilarious. People talking about revisionist history when the whole narrative on these boards the past week was that the team didn't have the cap to sign Kostin or that the coach wouldn't play him anyway.

I wanted to keep him and trade McLeod myself if they were going to cost the same but whatever. Definitely wasn't a popular opinion on here.

If I am not mistaken, Kostin has arbitration rights, McLeod does not... We simply could nota fford to let Kostin apply for arbitration.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You think it would be impossible to just sign Klim for 2M even say with term and pump and trade? Kostin has one of the best shots on the team. Put him on Drais wing once in awhile and see what he can do. The guy can snipe, even from distance and has quick delivery. Scored goals from nothing chances. Scored beauties. We had a mop of useless Yamamoto parked with Drai for years. Yet we couldn't find a way to use Klim and at worst pump and trade?

We lost Kostin, Not Samu. Kostin proved he was a player here. Anybody was in agreement with that as recently as weeks ago.
It’s amazing how quickly people have flipped on Kostin in the span of like 48 hours.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If I am not mistaken, Kostin has arbitration rights, McLeod does not... We simply could nota fford to let Kostin apply for arbitration.
Kostin doesn’t have a case for a high arbitration award. The risk was minimal.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017

I do not believe there is a market for Kostin at 2M.

fresh meat

Nov 29, 2018
kostin’s nhl career was revived with the oilers picking him up and giving him an opportunity to play. consider the extremely small sample size of his nhl career, expecting to be paid as you’ve put it is abit premature and has tones of entitlement. playing the khl card also probably didn’t win over holland either

bottom line - kostin was given a chance to succeed here and hopefully be part of a championship team and all he had to do is take a “bet on yourself” deal and get $$ on the next contract
It’s pretty difficult to take a “bet on yourself” contract when you know the coach is going to completely shaft you for no obvious reason.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It’s amazing how quickly people have flipped on Kostin in the span of like 48 hours.
Like I said completely revisionist views. Not sure why that happens as much as it does. Seems more a case of allegiance to what org does no matter what. But people were supporting the nature of Chiarelli and Eakins when they were here.

kostin was a fan favorite here his whole time here. You wouldn't know it today from some posters. Mind you well known GK isn't even a fan of the Oilers.

Reactions: RattsSSV and Spawn

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Kostin doesn’t have a case for a high arbitration award. The risk was minimal.
I can see him actually getting 1.3-1.5 in the arbitration... That's not high, but it is too high for us.

And could even get worse, his numbers are not really much worse than Pulju/Yama, are they?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Didn't read the thread but let me guess: People who thought they'd have to attach picks to get rid of Yamamoto are now mad because he was traded for nothing?
Umm, I need to inquire about your profile picture. Ya know, for research.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

I’m not sure I’d agree people have flipped on him per se. I think everyone still would love him back here if he would’ve signed for like around a million, but his ask of 2+ million is an easy pass. Ryan had 2 more goals than Kostin and signed for 900k

Reactions: FunkyChicken

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad