Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
Writing on the wall for Yamamoto, who had a tonne of heart but didn't consistently produce enough for long, long stretches playing alternately with each of the two best players in the league. The guy gave it his all though, and often to his detriment getting blown up in huge hits trying to make a play. I liked the player, this is unfortunate but another cap casualty.

Kostin was trying to parlay an outlier stretch of games into a pay day. Which is fine, but thankfully for once, the team didn't fall for it. Rah rah guy, great in the room apparently and liked it here but again considering how tight to the cap they are, with McLeod and Bouchard alone needing contracts, there had to be some hard decisions.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Rare Holland W. Glad we didn't fall into the Kassian trap again.

Have fun in Putinland.

Choice A- Play in a depth role for a million bucks with the best 2 players on the planet on a top 6 NHL team primed to win a Stanley Cup in a city that the fans and teammates who love you which has the same weather as back home.

Choice B- Play in Mordor with zero freedom in a country led by a dim witted Sauron, with a good chance you'll be in a trench in Eastern Ukraine with 2 days "training" and a rusty AK47 if your hockey career doesn't pan out next season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Choice A- Play in a depth role for a million bucks with the best 2 players on the planet on a top 6 NHL team in a city that the fans and teammates love you which has the same weather as back home.

Choice B- Play in Mordor with zero freedom in a country led by a dim witted Sauron, with a good chance you'll be in a trench in Eastern Ukraine with 2 days "training" and a rusty AK47 if your hockey career doesn't pan out next season.

Yup, to me that's all the markings of a player who didn't really want to be here. Liked you as a player Klim but I guess off the ice you were just a Klit.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So if he only makes 900k in Russia, why wouldn’t he sign here for 1-1.5 mil? Kinda bizarre.

The dimwit thought his agent could bend Holland over the barrel and give it to him without lube.

See ya. Enjoy Detroit or Omsk. Both cities look like they are present day Bakhmut. Get used to it.

Good riddance to the clown.

Reactions: Bobieque

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Yup, to me that's all the markings of a player who didn't really want to be here. Liked you as a player Klim but I guess off the ice you were just a Klit.

Kinda appears that way. I know a lot of people are mentioning he left because of lack of playing time from the coach. But I think its more of a lack of having numerous Russian players on the team. Could be wrong though.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I’m not sure I’d agree people have flipped on him per se. I think everyone still would love him back here if he would’ve signed for like around a million, but his ask of 2+ million is an easy pass. Ryan had 2 more goals than Kostin and signed for 900k

Exactly. These narratives of everything having to be so black and white are tiring.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kinda appears that way. I know a lot of people are mentioning he left because of lack of playing time from the coach. But I think its more of a lack of having numerous Russian players on the team. Could be wrong though.
Could be, we will likely never know.

Still not a good look for him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well hello cap space..

Losing Yama and Kostin is going to sting but tis alright... Maybe we can afford Janmark now
Kostin was essentially eye candy....especially when you compare him to Janmark.
Kostin could hit and had a nice shot but couldnt play on the PK and was extremely suspect defensively.
A limited player if there ever was one, and with the window to win being as small as it is, the Oilers simply cant afford to carry players like that, Especially when said player is looking to get paid.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Kostin was essentially eye candy....especially when you compare him to Janmark.
Kostin could hit and had a nice shot but couldnt play on the PK and was extremely suspect defensively.
A limited player if there ever was one, and with the window to win being as small as it is, the Oilers simply cant afford to carry players like that, Especially when said player is looking to get paid.

Having as many goals as Kane and Hyman in the playoffs is "eye candy" now?

Oilers would've lost in round 1 if not for Kostin.

The dimwit thought his agent could bend Holland over the barrel and give it to him without lube.

See ya. Enjoy Detroit or Omsk. Both cities look like they are present day Bakhmut. Get used to it.

Good riddance to the clown.

It's not really Kostin's fault the situation is what it is and he knows he'll get an extra couple 100k in Detroit.

The blame is on the money going into Nurse and Campbell's bank accounts that they are not earning and on Holland for signing those contracts.

Reactions: rboomercat90

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I’m not sure I’d agree people have flipped on him per se. I think everyone still would love him back here if he would’ve signed for like around a million, but his ask of 2+ million is an easy pass. Ryan had 2 more goals than Kostin and signed for 900k
Theres been no indication I've seen of +2M being the ask. In anycase arbitration wasn't going to get him that mainly because of how much its hard to score goals from the bench.

The Oilers coaching threw shade at Kostin all seaon and playoffs playing him limited minutes. Which could even be potentially beneficial to discount the player IF we had resigned him. So instead we did a non pump dump of a very useful player.

Stauffer suggesting Detroit is buying out Yams?
One of the worst teams in the league buys you out. Goodbye NHL career.

Yams should have gone to Seattle when the chance was there. Least he has residence credibility in Washington State.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
Such a duality of feels today. haha

I wish it didn't come at this Kostin
1688065764456.png

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

So Kostin was willing to play in Mordor for 900k but wanted 1.75M here.

f*** him.

Sounds like a coaching issue, lot of these guys don't want to sit on the bench most of the game. It was a little weird that he could get so little traction with Woody though. I suspect he practices poorly considering he barely got a sniff in St.Louis, and even when he looked good in games with Edmonton, struggled to get out of the sub-10 minute crowd.

He also had that tendency to throw out high risk blind passes off the wall in the defensive and neutral zone, probably drove the coaching staff up the wall.

Reactions: Duke74

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
But that destroys so many narratives… how can this be?!?!
Nah it doesn't, and several posters mentioned it. Kostin knew the coaching staff here had some kind of deluded issue with him. The fans loved him, the team and players loved him, but hard to get much done from the bench. After experiences in STL and Edm I can see Kostin being disappointed in his usage, and why wouldn't he be. Kid is a stud not getting played. Not a given its just about the money. What if Kostin signs in Detroit for around 1M?

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Kostin about to become a top 6 player in detroit who will absolutely flourish. sucks to see him go. He’s going to really grow as time goes on. big, tough, good skill. Bah. i was hoping he would replace yammo in a top 6 role next season. He absolutely can imo. Now what?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
He has better opportunities in Detroit than with the Oilers. Very likely he played hard ball with the Oilers to force us to move him
Quite possibly, and further to toi. I feel as if the latter means more to Kostin than the $. We'll find out soon.

I will just say it out loud. If Yamo is bought out, I would bring him back 1 yr $900K-ish.
Twilight zone. ;)

I don't want more episodes at any price. haha

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Nah it doesn't, and several posters mentioned it. Kostin knew the coaching staff here had some kind of deluded issue with him. The fans loved him, the team and players loved him, but hard to get much done from the bench. After experiences in STL and Edm I can see Kostin being disappointed in his usage, and why wouldn't he be. Kid is a stud not getting played. Not a given its just about the money. What if Kostin signs in Detroit for around 1M?
And what if he signs in Russia like he wanted to?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It was reported earlier in the week by The Athletic’s Daniel Nugent-Bowman that the Oilers and Kostin’s camp had been off in their contract negotiations for the restricted free agent.
The Oilers, he reported, were in the $1.1-$1.5-million range on a contract, while Kostin’s camp had been “shooting for at least $1.75 million on the low end but ideally over $2 million.”
Kostin reportedly had interest from the KHL as well.

If the bolded is true then Holland absolutely made the right decision. I would even say that $1.5M was too high for what he brought.
I would much rather see that money go to Conner Brown.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
It's not really Kostin's fault the situation is what it is and he knows he'll get an extra couple 100k in Detroit.

The blame is on the money going into Nurse and Campbell's bank accounts that they are not earning and on Holland for signing those contracts.

Loved his gumption and scored some timely goals but I wont lose sleep over a 4th line player who showed flashes but is replaceable at half his asking price. Especially one who was using playing in Mordor as his negotiating ploy.

Anyone wasting too much digital ink on this guy is also wasting too much of their time.

Reactions: AT14C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad