Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BardownMagic

Oct 13, 2022
Rent Free
Maybe someday the Yzerplan will come to fruition after all these years and they’ll finally make the playoffs, maybe even this season!
Rebuild is thrown around so much, but as us oilers fans know, they are not created equal. Detroit is in the same position we were - scorched earth, not many/any guys to trade for big pick packages, etc. They get a long leash from me when it comes to rebuilding that franchise. Without mcdavid (and drai), where are we? They have not had the uber talent emerge from the draft yet. A lot of fsce cards, no aces.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Like I said completely revisionist views. Not sure why that happens as much as it does. Seems more a case of allegiance to what org does no matter what. But people were supporting the nature of Chiarelli and Eakins when they were here.

kostin was a fan favorite here his whole time here. You wouldn't know it today from some posters. Mind you well known GK isn't even a fan of the Oilers.

I think you misunderstand many of us. I would have loved to keep Kostin for another year, at min league salary or a tiny bit more. But in our situation, the cap is precious, and we cannot afford to pay 1.5 mils for 4th liners.

Also, while I actually like the player, he is the type of player who is not hard to replace for cheap.

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
I really thought Yams was going to get bought out, so any trade is a good one afaic. Too bad about Klim, but maybe they didn't think they could resign him. I get the feeling DET doesn't take Yams without Kostin coming with him though.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I think you misunderstand many of us. I would have loved to keep Kostin for another year, at min league salary or a tiny bit more. But in our situation, the cap is precious, and we cannot afford to pay 1.5 mils for 4th liners.

Also, while I actually like the player, he is the type of player who is not hard to replace for cheap.
Kostin shouldn't be a 4th liner and no reason to think he should be limited to that. At worst he's a topniner. he doesn't look out of place on a topsix the few times he was used. Damn straight I'd rather have kostin than say Bjugstad or Foegele. I don't agree a player thats a potential sniper with a quick release that can score goals and punch donkeys is imminently replaceable. kid has skill and can play. Good skater, real hard to play against. For an Oilers team that typically lacks moxy in playoffs you need guys like Kostin, and possibly more like him.

But I just don't get how these things get looked at. A lot of people for some reason felt Yams was legit topsix. Yet Kostin with far more skill, physicality, and quantum better shot gets type cast as just bottom player as if that can't change with proper usage. Just another reason for me to dislike the idiot coaching staff here.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Like I said completely revisionist views. Not sure why that happens as much as it does. Seems more a case of allegiance to what org does no matter what. But people were supporting the nature of Chiarelli and Eakins when they were here.

kostin was a fan favorite here his whole time here. You wouldn't know it today from some posters. Mind you well known GK isn't even a fan of the Oilers.
Excuse me for not freaking out at the Oilers for a change. I prefer to see what lies ahead in this scenario. My guess is he didn’t want to be here and if that’s the case then sayonara.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Rebuild is thrown around so much, but as us oilers fans know, they are not created equal. Detroit is in the same position we were - scorched earth, not many/any guys to trade for big pick packages, etc. They get a long leash from me when it comes to rebuilding that franchise. Without mcdavid (and drai), where are we? They have not had the uber talent emerge from the draft yet. A lot of fsce cards, no aces.

Not being able to make the playoffs after 5 years with all of the hype is starting to bring questions to the merit of his rebuild. Media were starting to get skeptical last offseason and with all of the talent and picks they've had as well as some solid signings, they should have pushed for a WC spot last season. When they started facing more adversity, they fell off and got buried in crunch time. This is a make or break season for Yzerman, IMO. The maligned Ol' Dutch climbed out of one of the worst inherited rosters I've ever seen and has made the playoffs each season. Yes, he has McDrai, but the team missed the playoffs with both of them in other years.

Reactions: TB12 and nturn06

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
It's sad to see the boys go. Both looked like great guys in the room and full of positive energy. Best of luck, you will be missed.

Reactions: harpoon

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
You think it would be impossible to just sign Klim for 2M even say with term and pump and trade? Kostin has one of the best shots on the team. Put him on Drais wing once in awhile and see what he can do. The guy can snipe, even from distance and has quick delivery. Scored goals from nothing chances. Scored beauties. We had a mop of useless Yamamoto parked with Drai for years. Yet we couldn't find a way to use Klim and at worst pump and trade?

We lost Kostin, Not Samu. Kostin proved he was a player here. Anybody was in agreement with that as recently as weeks ago.
To this day, I still don't understand why Kostin wasn't given an extended look in the Top 6. Especially given how Yamamoto not only failed to piss a drop but also was a huge liability defensively, particularly in the playoffs. At least at that point, you know what you have in Kostin.

Dirk Dangler

Jun 24, 2016

Also, while I actually like the player, he is the type of player who is not hard to replace for I think you misunderstand many of us. I would have loved to keep Kostin for another year, at min league salary or a tiny bit more. But in our situation, the cap is precious, and we cannot afford to pay 1.5 mils for 4th liners.
I agree that cap is precious. That’s why we should have traded away Foegels 2.75 mil and took a savings on Klim. Everyone saying we couldn’t afford him at 1.5-2 mill…That would have been a million dollar savings if they kept the right guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad