Rumor: Devils looking to move Subban?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
If Weber doesn't retire and plans to be back for 2022-2023 season, i would take Subban at full cap with a big sweetener attached. Like a 1st or good prospect.
Why would we do that? Thats just goofy. Give you a first to take a guy who is not hurting our books, is a need on this team, is almost fully paid! PK is only being moved for an asset, otherwise its Sea, or moved for an asset at the TDL

Reactions: devils29

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Assuming his bonus is already paid, he only has $2m in real money owed this season. I feel like this has Ottawa or Arizona written all over it. But I can't see New Jersey paying anyone to take him due to their own abundance of cap space

Yep, this is pretty much where it stands, I would imagine. There are also some situations where I could see the Devils take back a dead cap hit player from another team to even it out, but I'm not sure what the Devils are really looking to do here, so I'm not sure if that interests them at all.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
His first year in NJ was a disaster....

Last year he was a solid 2nd pair offensive D man on a terrible team.

Cap isn't a issue in NJ nor are real dollars. This won't be a pure cap dump if he's moved.

Funny enough, the cap might actually be a bit of an issue if Subban is moved because the Devils would be about $20 million from the cap floor. There's very few RFA's to re-sign and they shouldn't break the bank at all.

I really wonder what NJ has up their sleeve that they'd need/want to move him. Taking on some contracts from Tampa? Tarasenko and/or Voracek? I can't see Hall or Landeskog being interested as UFAs.

Maybe Subban for Kessel, or in a bigger deal for Garland

I'm assuming the Devils will back up the Brink's truck for Hamilton, as well as possibly providing a lifetime pass to the Liberty Science Center. There's some speculation that Seattle will try hard to sign Hamilton, so who knows what will actually happen there.

If the Devils were to move Subban, it would open up a spot on the right side to potentially go for a Hamilton signing or maybe try to pry Cal Foote from Tampa by taking a rough contract. The Devils are supposedly in on Garland and were noted as trying to acquire Tarasenko at full cap-hit, so there's still a lot that can happen on that front.

Just a gut feeling, but I think the Devils will end up trading the NYI 1st round pick from the Palmieri + Zajac trade.

Last edited:

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
No way NJ gives up any assets at all to move him. He is still a serviceable 3/4 D man . Only way he is moved is for an asset in return but that asset will be minimal even at max retention.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Funny enough, the cap might actually be a bit of an issue if Subban is moved because the Devils would be about $20 million from the cap FLOOR. There's very few RFA's to re-sign and they shouldn't break the bank at all.

I'm assuming the Devils will back up the Brink's truck for Hamilton, as well as possibly providing a lifetime pass to the Liberty Science Center. There's some speculation that Seattle will try hard to sign Hamilton, so who knows what will actually happen there.

If the Devils were to move Subban, it would open up a spot on the right side to potentially go for a Hamilton signing or maybe try to pry Cal Foote from Tampa by taking a rough contract. The Devils are supposedly in on Garland and were noted as trying to acquire Tarasenko at full cap-hit, so there's still a lot that can happen on that front.

Just a gut feeling, but I think the Devils will end up trading the NYI 1st round pick from the Palmieri + Zajac trade.
I agree with a lot you said.
I think NJ is looking hard to add to the roster to take the next step in the rebuild. It’s time to start jogging instead of walking their way toward competing . If they move Subban it is because they are adding a RHD and the only available RHD available that would require moving some money around would be Hamilton if they offer him huge $$ . Even then the Devils could afford Subban plus Hamilton but I’d imagine Subban would be a luxury not a need .
I also think the Devils are in on someone else with a decent cap hit like Tarasenko or a long shot move like Meier E Kane Landeskog . No other reason to move Subban unless one or two big ticket items are coming in and why move Subban when we are extremely thin at RHD unless we are adding a RHD or two

Reactions: Dialamo

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
There are no personality issues. There are significant performance issues, the guy can’t skate and has always had questionable positioning

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Could probably help the Jets defense if and when they strike out on much better targets. Wouldn’t trade a 1st for him though! If that’s the cost of him at 50% retained he can get peddled elsewhere.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Don't know about his time in Jersey but in Nashville he had slowed way down, to the point he needed to basically be a stay at home Dman. He was still trying to play like the old Subban though and it was causing lots of turnovers and odd man rushes.

You’d think he’d be smart enough to reinvent himself and the way he plays. Could be a very solid physical stay at home defenseman if he committed to it.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Ignoring the fact that he's just not very good anymore, subban back to Montreal will just never happen. Dude was nothing but a distraction his last season there, and to be honest, the season after he was traded. Bridges have been burned, not worth the effort for the performance.

Last edited:

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Can't imagine Devils getting a haul for him, even at 50% so at that point is it even worth it?

Depends on what the plan is. If the team really does have plans to go balls to the wall with spending money this free agency, I could see it. Its just reallocating funds in a better way. His contract at this point is actually nice for teams that want the cap hit but don't want the real dollars as he only has 2 million that needs to be paid out through the season as we already paid his bonus.

So that is what it's really about; what's the plan for the Devils. They don't need to create space unless they are all in on some sort of plan. I don't know why they would flip him for a comparable asset at forward, but theoretically it is an option. They could also take on a better player who has a smaller hit this year but a longer term and the other team just wants to get away from the future term?

It's hard to say because I don't know what the plan is for the off season.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
had a pretty quietly solid year i thought for NJ, in the midst of that team being a trainwreck at times. $9 million cap hit worthy, no, but #2-3 quality IMO.

Reactions: Smitty426

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I agree with a lot you said.
I think NJ is looking hard to add to the roster to take the next step in the rebuild. It’s time to start jogging instead of walking their way toward competing . If they move Subban it is because they are adding a RHD and the only available RHD available that would require moving some money around would be Hamilton if they offer him huge $$ . Even then the Devils could afford Subban plus Hamilton but I’d imagine Subban would be a luxury not a need .
I also think the Devils are in on someone else with a decent cap hit like Tarasenko or a long shot move like Meier E Kane Landeskog . No other reason to move Subban unless one or two big ticket items are coming in and why move Subban when we are extremely thin at RHD unless we are adding a RHD or two
agree on all, but even adding most of those woudl still not interfere with cap. Interesting to see what happens first and how it effects the return. For example, adding Hamilton then teams know they are out on PK and can be had for scraps OR Trade PK now, is there value there? Then you worry about adding a vet D. Move PK, add a scorer, drat smart, bring in 2 more D at higher end, start to contend

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
had a pretty quietly solid year i thought for NJ, in the midst of that team being a trainwreck at times. $9 million cap hit worthy, no, but #2-3 quality IMO.

He had a strong end to the season but he was pretty bad the first 15 games or so. I think Fitz and the coaching staff want to build a young cost controlled core and don’t see or want to waste time putting pieces in place. Subban was a Shero/ownership acquisition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad