Player Discussion Jeremy Swayman -V - all still silent

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I’m pretty confident in your confidence. Would 5 for 40 be too much? I just want the guy signed especially after seeing a sample tonight.
I’m just saying I think Swayman’s ask is higher than that. I’d give him 8-8.25 for 8 years. If he wants 4 or 5 it’s less because it’s only 2 or 3 UFA years. Wouldn’t give him any less than 4 years period. He can sit if he wants that.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
Let me be clear (insert Bernie meme here): I want Jeremy Swayman resigned.

But I’m low key grossed out by a dude with a 44 game workload under his belt demanding the sun and moon

Reeks of the millennials I hire whose salary expectations along with every other perk under the sun are at the same level as my veteran architects

What happened to paying your dues - he shouldn’t roll over by any means but like - you brag about learning the business side (evidently in one summer) and don’t/wont grasp the risk perspective of the club you’re negotiating with?

Those kinds of schools generally have tv commercials

Edit: no, guys, I don’t know anything for real like any of us - that should be assumed on every post all of us make save a TINY few

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Yah okay.

Oh right. Donny never make mistake. Donny the best. Give him 10 year extension.

Let me be clear (insert Bernie meme here): I want Jeremy Swayman resigned.

But I’m low key grossed out by a dude with a 44 game workload under his belt demanding the sun and moon

Reeks of the millennials I hire whose salary expectations along with every other perk under the sun are at the same level as my veteran architects

What happened to paying your dues - he shouldn’t roll over by any means but like - you brag about learning the business side (evidently in one summer) and don’t/wont grasp the risk perspective of the club you’re negotiating with?

Those kinds of schools generally have tv commercials

Those god damned kids need to learn to bend over and take whatever the world is willing to give them and like it!

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Is this a real response? Like, that’s what you actually took from what I said?

You're more or less arguing he should accept what the Bruins deem to be his value and thank them for it.

You can argue he needs to 'earn it' whatever that means in the eyes of the Bruins, but really, there is no reward for that just how there is very little reward for that in the corporate environments. Get as much as you get when you can and move on when that is at it's peak. Maybe you're the unicorn that actually rewards people under him properly, in which case, kudos. That's too few and far between.

Now there is context to this. If he's asking for 10 x 8. He's clearly in the wrong, similarly if the Bruins are sticking at 6.4 x 8 they are also in the wrong. I'm going to operate under the assumption Swayman isn't that naive in his own evaluation, but it's possible he is the one out the lunch. History points to the other side being the stumbling block, but we'll see.

We don't really know the true numbers. I'd believe the Bruins offered 6.4 x 5 knowing their history and how they value RFAs. The information clearly came from the Swayman camp and I'm not willing to go out and say they lied. Also every report has been the Bruins have a number and they are not budging regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Smitty93

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
If Sway was willing to accept that I think it'd be done by now, that's would be a no brainer for the bruins.
Do we know what Swayman is looking for though? The only thing I have seen is that he wants a long-term deal. The $10M he's asking for doesn't seem to be confirmed and is just a rumor. 8x8 seems like a good deal for both sides. Either the Bruins are offering too low or Swayman is shooting for the moon.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Is this a real response? Like, that’s what you actually took from what I said?
Do you think that going into last year 88 games in goal, with a gaa of ~2.20 and a SV% of ~.920 was comparable in "proving it" in both games played and quality of play as Dan Vladar's 55 games played with a gaa of ~2.85 and a SV% of ~.900?

If that what a Harvard or McGill education gets you, then I'll stick with U of Maine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
Do we know what Swayman is looking for though? The only thing I have seen is that he wants a long-term deal. The $10M he's asking for doesn't seem to be confirmed and is just a rumor. 8x8 seems like a good deal for both sides. Either the Bruins are offering too low or Swayman is shooting for the moon.
Didn't Friedman report that the ask from Sway's camp is the McAvoy contract? Or did I imagine that?

Reactions: Blowfish

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Swayman has openly said he’s bargaining a contract for future goaltenders. Pretty sure it’s Swayman asking to too much.
Nah. He said he didn’t want to ruin the market, meaning he’s not signing for peanuts. Even still, we don’t know what either party has put on the table

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
You're more or less arguing he should accept what the Bruins deem to be his value and thank them for it.

You can argue he needs to 'earn it' whatever that means in the eyes of the Bruins, but really, there is no reward for that just how there is very little reward for that in the corporate environments. Get as much as you get when you can and move on when that is at it's peak. Maybe you're the unicorn that actually rewards people under him properly, in which case, kudos. That's too few and far between.

Now there is context to this. If he's asking for 10 x 8. He's clearly in the wrong, similarly if the Bruins are sticking at 6.4 x 8 they are also in the wrong. I'm going to operate under the assumption Swayman isn't that naive in his own evaluation, but it's possible he is the one out the lunch. History points to the other side being the stumbling block, but we'll see.

We don't really know the true numbers. I'd believe the Bruins offered 6.4 x 5 knowing their history and how they value RFAs. The information clearly came from the Swayman camp and I'm not willing to go out and say they lied. Also every report has been the Bruins have a number and they are not budging regardless.
Honestly dude, your first sentence is completely wrong - and was even stated as such - I couldn’t be bothered reading the rest after that.

Do you think that going into last year 88 games in goal, with a gaa of ~2.20 and a SV% of ~.920 was comparable in "proving it" in both games played and quality of play as Dan Vladar's 55 games played with a gaa of ~2.85 and a SV% of ~.900?

If that what a Harvard or McGill education gets you, then I'll stick with U of Maine.
Can you rephrase your question - I’m not quite sure I understand.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
You believe that? Again in Sweeney I trust.
I understand the cap is going up and where it will be in years. I understand my comparables and how i can’t ruin the goalie market for other guys about to be in my shoes down the line

I don’t just believe it. It’s literally what he said. However you interpret it is on you. Not wanting to ruin the goalie market to me just means he wants his worth. Not sure how it can be interpreted any other way, but that’s how i see it

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I understand the cap is going up and where it will be in years. I understand my comparables and how i can’t ruin the goalie market for other guys about to be in my shoes down the line

I don’t just believe it. It’s literally what he said. However you interpret it is on you. Not wanting to ruin the goalie market to me just means he wants his worth. Not sure how it can be interpreted any other way, but that’s how i see it
A part of it is…no one has said they don’t want to ruin the winger market. Or the defenseman market. So the fact that he explicitly said it - in his conversation about taking business classes - leads to thinking it’s more than just idle speak.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Honestly dude, your first sentence is completely wrong - and was even stated as such - I couldn’t be bothered reading the rest after that.

Can you rephrase your question - I’m not quite sure I understand.

Thank you for proving my point.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
A part of it is…no one has said they don’t want to ruin the winger market. Or the defenseman market. So the fact that he explicitly said it - in his conversation about taking business classes - leads to thinking it’s more than just idle speak.
I don’t think he’s saying it to hear himself speak either. I think he means it. The kid wants what he believes he’s worth plain and simple. That’s all it is

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Didn't Friedman report that the ask from Sway's camp is the McAvoy contract? Or did I imagine that?
Yup just found it: NHL insider: Bruins, Jeremy Swayman still facing ‘philosophical differences’ in contract talks

Looks like the rumored deal on the table from the Bruins was mid sixes for 8 years whereas Swayman is rumored to want something like McAvoy's contract. Let's say $6.5M AAV, 8x8 is in the middle.

Feels like the Bruins aren't budging off their number and neither is Swayman. If we use McAvoy as the comparable, McAvoy's first non-ELC contract was for 3 years before he cashed in whereas Swayman's was only for one. Bruins probably see that and Swayman not having enough games under his belt as a truly proven #1 to offer him that large of a contract. That's also without looking at comparables around the league, probably wanting to bank some cap for the trade deadline, and not wanting to move a player off this roster to fit him in. From a team perspective, it can be a gamble, but Swayman is confident in his abilities. Maybe a short-term deal makes more sense.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
They're at a philosophical deadlock. I'm sure they both have comps and numbers to support whatever opinions they're bringing to the table, probably a lot of what we see here. In the end, I hope Swayman's loyalty to his team, teammates and wanting to be here pulls him back a little bit from his desire to be paid his target amount and I hope the Bruins are willing to raise their offer to help appease Swayman finally agreeing to sign for less. Find some common ground here, guys.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Perspective... (don't know how much this has changed since)
As of April 2024, the top 10 highest-paid goalies in the NHL include:

• Carey Price: $10.5 million

• Sergei Bobrovsky: $10 million

• Andrei Vasilevskiy: $9.5 million

• Connor Hellebuyck: $8.5 million

• Ilya Sorokin: $8.25 million

• John Gibson: $6.4 million

• Jacob Markstrom: $6 million

• Jordan Binnington: $6 million

• Phillip Grubauer: $5.9 million

• Igor Shesterkin: $5.666,667

If Swayman is looking for top dollars offer 37m over 5yr a 7.4 cap hit. Allowing Swayman to cash in big at around 30yrs of age ... if he is as good as he thinks he is. Plus, at that point he is a FA and could test the market.
At 7.4 Swayman would be the 5th highest paid active goalie going into the season. The other higher paid goalies currently have a more established track record - at the moment.

Even offering him Sorokin money would be way more than fair.
If Swayman expects anything more, he's dreaming. If he wants the Bruins to bet on him for possible future performance and cap increase, then they are with their 6.4 offer. If it's not enough he should take the money and bet on himself and prove to them his true worth. He'll get paid.

Also, if as rumored Boston's 6.4 puts him tied for 5th highest active goalie ... so if true I don't think Boston is doubting his ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad