Rumor: Devils looking to move Subban?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
What exactly happened to subban? Is he decent with just a bad contract or straight up bad?
Don't know about his time in Jersey but in Nashville he had slowed way down, to the point he needed to basically be a stay at home Dman. He was still trying to play like the old Subban though and it was causing lots of turnovers and odd man rushes.

Reactions: banks

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Doesn't he suck now? Or what's the scoop Devils fans
He is an adequate #4 guy. His first year he tried to be the PK of old and was below replacement level, he just simply can't skate anymore. This year he was moving less and was far more effective. Still has a great shot and can get physical but his starting and stopping is just dreadful and he takes a ton of penalties.

Pair him with a mobile left hand guy and he could definitely be a solid contributor, but he can't anchor a pairing and just simply can't be a +22 minute a night guy at this point in his career. But that kind of guy is useful to NJ who is historically young and needs veteran bodies. He is a positive to NJ right now and we are absolutely not going to pay anyone to take him, moving him would have to be a hockey trade for another RHD or a similar overpaid-but-still decent forward.

Also note that NJ is 10M under the cap floor *with* Subban's deal and they already paid his signing bonus. Double also note that if he moves the only RHD under contract is Damon Severson. Unless the Devils are going all-in on Hamilton I don't understand why they would be shopping him.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Still a decent 2nd pairing option that logged 22:22 last season (only 7 seconds behind Severson for most ATOI). Probably not worth a $4.5M cap hit, but not that big of a risk for teams to take for only one season as he may do better with less minutes in a contract year.
I agree he can still play on a 2nd pairing and do a decent job. The thing is, i can't see any contender taking him, even at 4,5M$, because of his personnality.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I really wonder what NJ has up their sleeve that they'd need/want to move him. Taking on some contracts from Tampa? Tarasenko and/or Voracek? I can't see Hall or Landeskog being interested as UFAs.

Maybe Subban for Kessel, or in a bigger deal for Garland

Reactions: Smitty426

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Don't know about his time in Jersey but in Nashville he had slowed way down, to the point he needed to basically be a stay at home Dman. He was still trying to play like the old Subban though and it was causing lots of turnovers and odd man rushes.
Players who base a lot of their game on speed usually age badly. Subban is just an extreme example.

Last edited:

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Good thing you aren't an NHL gm. A healthy PK at the deadline retained at 50% will get a return. Probably not great, but I could see someone coughing up a 3rd and a mediocre prospect or something

Unless he plays great and over expectations next season, PK won't be an option for a contender based on his bad reputation.

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Subban has slowed down immensely and is generally a pain in the ass to his teammates. There's a reason why he's likely heading to his fourth team in 7 years. I used to love the guy in Montreal until he signed that massive contract, his head got too big, and his social media career became far more important than his hockey career. Most teams would not even take him for nothing.

Reactions: Benstheman

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Was a huge fan of the Subban Weber trade. However I feel this would be the year to take on Subbans contract again and have a redemption year!! We got lots of cap space. And I feel he could help our mobility on the back end

I think you're the first person to use the words "Subban" and "mobility" in the same sentence in about five years... He is a complete pylon at this point in his career.

Reactions: japhi

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Unless he plays great and over expectations next season, PK won't be an option for a contender based on his bad reputation.

Subban has slowed down immensely and is generally a pain in the ass to his teammates. There's a reason why he's likely heading to his fourth team in 7 years. I used to love the guy in Montreal until he signed that massive contract, his head got too big, and his social media career became far more important than his hockey career. Most teams would not even take him for nothing.

I hated the Subban deal to NJ the moment it was announced and would be glad to see him move on - though purely because of his play on the ice. By all accounts he has been a great teammate in NJ and these accusations seem overblown.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ottawa will be all over this.
His bonus is already paid and is only owed 2M in salary for one season.

Ottawa needs a RD and if Jersey retains 50% that’s only $1M they have to pay him.

Logan Brown and one of the two second rounders they have?

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
there's no way in hell i'm interested in trading subban...he's worth way more to us than any other team. someone would have to massively overpay for him, and i don't think chiarelli is a GM anymore

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad