Rumor: Devils looking to move Subban?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
So Subban's personality would be an issue on a winning, contending team with lots of experience...that would also have strong veteran leadership, but it's not an issue on a very young team? That makes zero sense.

Your team isn't suppose to win anything right now. So media pressure is inexistant. It would be different on a contender. PK is an attention whore. He would instantly want exposure and take a big spot. But like i said. Maybe he's changed but no contender would take that chance.

Reactions: Craig Ludwig

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Subban has slowed down immensely and is generally a pain in the ass to his teammates. There's a reason why he's likely heading to his fourth team in 7 years. I used to love the guy in Montreal until he signed that massive contract, his head got too big, and his social media career became far more important than his hockey career. Most teams would not even take him for nothing.
This is stupid. He's a 32 year old physical defenseman with back injuries, of course his play is declining. Obviously he's not worth the salary MTL gave him 7 years ago when he was young and in good health. It has nothing to do with social media.

He can still play just fine, but I guess some people just need to find reasons to dislike this guy.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Because of his signing bonus he's only 2mil to who trades for him and with 50% retention that brings it down to 1mil, if he's playing very well next season i could see a cup chasing team give up a 1st for 50% retained Subban at the deadline since he'd only take up 1mil of the cap.

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
If Weber doesn't retire and plans to be back for 2022-2023 season, i would take Subban at full cap with a big sweetener attached. Like a 1st or good prospect.
0 chance. Devils will retain 50% if anything and get an actual asset back. hes only owed 2 mill and still a competent #4 for only a million in real money. not to mention devils would have like 40 mil in cap space if they trade him. They arent desperate to get rid of him

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Your team isn't suppose to win anything right now. So media pressure is inexistant. It would be different on a contender. PK is an attention whore. He would instantly want exposure and take a big spot. But like i said. Maybe he's changed but no contender would take that chance.

So the media pressure is too much...for a player that enjoys the media spotlight and performed his best in perhaps the biggest media market in the NHL?

Solid logic.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Subban actually had a really solid bounceback year this past season in my eyes. I would say he played like a real solid 2nd pairing defenseman that's worth his cap hit at half retention. He figured out how to be effective without elite skating ability anymore. Don't necessarily want to trade him, but if guys like Graves are getting a 2nd round pick + decent prospect, Subban @ 50% I feel could get a little bit more than that because of his reputation and also his on ice play.

I could totally see Montreal wanting Subban back again. The current market for defensemen seems high, so the offer I am going to put out might seem a little high, but maybe Subban @ 50% + Pick 100 for Pick 31

Reactions: Smitty426 and HBK27

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
The cap hit is bad, but he's cheap when you consider the actual dollars paid. I think NJD can easily get some kind of return for him. If he plays well to start the year, then a mid-season or deadline deal could get them something good.

People saying he sucks or is a lockerroom problem are crazy. It's true that he isn't the old Subban anymore. But he isn't coming with a Norris price tag for the next 7 years anymore. People just can't get past what he used to be and how much money he makes. But, as he is now, he's a capable defender.

Reactions: HBK27

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
What contending team would want him for $4.5 million with tight salary cap conditions?
I can see Seattle taking him for free as he is a good PR guy and can open up the demographics in the black community. But that is about it.

youryeah

Jun 21, 2019
trading him opens an even bigger hole on the right side than there already is. unless GMTF has something up his sleeve

Reactions: Billdo

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
This is only interesting because of what NJ will do for the right side with Subban gone. Something might be in place.

PK deal, even at the deadline with retention, won't get you much. I'd also guess that management is not nearly as positive on his last season as the fans here are.

Reactions: Smitty426

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
This is only interesting because of what NJ will do for the right side with Subban gone. Something might be in place.

PK deal, even at the deadline with retention, won't get you much. I'd also guess that management is not nearly as positive on his last season as the fans here are.
I think ownership (and Shero) were expecting him to be the final piece to come in and lift NJ out of the bubble and into contention. Ownership made a big deal out of acquiring him. In that sense he could never possibly live up to that expectation.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Chili's
Maybe Boston can trade for him at the deadline at 50% for 2 reasons.

- To create chaos
- A 3rd pair guy who can blast the puck from the point is someone we need. None of our dmen can shoot the puck good.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Subban 50% retained for Dadanov?
Was thinking this makes sense for both teams. As a sens fan id do it, id eliminate retention and take a small asset or flip picks in the draft at some point with the sens moving up.

Last edited:

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd prefer to hang onto him and, if anything, move him at the deadline, but we'll see what happens.

Fitz would have to have something up his sleeve at RHD. Subban isn't what he once was, but he can still comfortably log 20+ minutes a night, so long as he's playing calm and not chaotic.

Reactions: Billdo and HBK27

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Was thinking this makes sense for both teams. As a sens fan id do it, id eliminate retention and take a small asset or flip picks in the draft at some point with the sens moving up.

Dadonov has 5 million and 6.5 million in real money remaining on his contract
Subban has 2 million remaining on his contract at 9 million cap hit.

I think the pick flip does the other way.

Reactions: bert and HBK27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad