Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
I like this trade for NJ. Beckman gives the team a legit center option they can call up from AHL when injuries hit. Think he will be a better call up player than a Max Wilman or Shane Bowers. I like his size.
Adding that he played wing in Minnesota during his callups.

Last edited:

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Yeah can’t see where Clarke would’ve gotten a chance given he has Bratt, Meier, Mercer and Holtz ahead of him on the right side.

Is Beckman waiver eligible? Or do they just see a heavier LW/C in the bottom six as having a better path to a roster spot.
Beckman does have to clear waivers.

One Minnesota fan I saw said he liked Beckman’s energy but most things talked about him as a goal scorer first, so seems a similar profile to Clarke on the blush of it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Seems like a downgrade. Clarke is probably happy .. gets to go back home to Minnesota.
Devils were likely to lose Clarke on waivers with how strong his AHL numbers were and not much of a spot for him.

One thing I will give Fitzgerald is he does seem to always be willing to give kids a shot elsewhere when the Devils run out of a spot for them. He did it last year with Walsh/Bowers trade.

I would imagine that has to mean something around the league in the eyes of players and agents.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This feels like another example of a player Fitz just didn't like. I'm just whelmed about this. I think Clarke is a better player, but not like he's going to become some great NHLer. It's a whatever deal and Fitz managed to purge another player he didn't like.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Does Beckman actually play center?

This write-up from last summer pegs him as a defensively responsible, high volume shooting left wing.

Given how the RW depth, maybe this was just a positional swap. Scoring RW for scoring LW. Hopefully the Devils picked up someone more suitable for a bottom 6 role as well.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014

14 – Adam Beckman (Iowa Wild)

There was more than a brief period when Adam Beckman was easily at the top of the list to be called up from the American Hockey League (AHL). The 22-year-old was a third-round pick in 2019 and has developed a lethal shot to go along with his smarts, but he has struggled to find the back of the net with the Iowa Wild this season.

Adam Beckman Iowa Wild
Adam Beckman, Iowa Wild (Jenae Anderson / The Hockey Writers)
His five goals in 26 games put him on pace for half as many goals as last season, and although he has dealt with some injuries, the fact that the Wild have yet to call him up despite being riddled with injuries to their roster is not a good sign for the youngster. It might be time to start thinking about giving Beckman a new start somewhere else.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm wondering if we pulled the trade to gain more size.

Bowers is the same size and Wilman is 2 inches shorter but weighs the same...
Looks like he had a fight vs St.Louis although he didn’t do so well.

I’m guessing him being a center and slightly bigger is the main reason. Clarke was gonna have a hell of a time breaking into our lineup. Minnesota gets someone with a little more offensive skill.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Beckman might get a few games here and there but yeah this is a good move, Clarke probably wanted a trade and he's a fine AHL player but wasn't going to get a chance in the NHL.

Beckman has taken 1 faceoff at the NHL level, so he was not viewed as a center there. His listed position is left wing. I doubt he is a center.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
We're just one more bottom-6 center away from Nico becoming captain in Utica...

Beckman's PIMs historically are pretty low, so might lack sandpaper Fitz has mentioned he wants to add. Hopefully he can be a displined PKer. I'd imagine a potential repalcement for Nosek/13th fwd more than a Utica fill-in.

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Seems like a downgrade. Clarke is probably happy .. gets to go back home to Minnesota.

Don't think I'd call it a downgrade - both players were selected within 5 spots of each other, will have to pass through waivers to get sent to the AHL and are struggling to earn a spot in the NHL. Clarke has better stats in the AHL, but Beckman and has earned a call-up in 3 straight seasons in Minnesota, playing 23 total NHL games to Clarke's 3.

The Wild are probably betting on Clarke's offseason upside while I'm guessing Beckman gives NJ a more physical option for the bottom 6 without sacrificing too much in offense.

Knowing nothing about Beckman until 3 minutes ago, I'll give this deal a solid "sure, why not?".

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
We're just one more bottom-6 center away from Nico becoming captain in Utica...

Beckman's PIMs historically are pretty low, so might lack sandpaper Fitz has mentioned he wants to add. Hopefully he can be a displined PKer. I'd imagine a potential repalcement for Nosek/13th fwd more than a Utica fill-in.
Not sure he adds sandpaper, but maybe he works the boards better?

I'll be honest, I was never really a Clarke fan (at least not in the last couple years). From what I've seen (which, admittedly isn't much), he was too soft and not good enough off the puck to have a good chance to stick in the NHL.

As for being blocked on the RW, I'm not a huge believer in which side a wing plays on. Handedness of wings is the least important of all positions, except goalie.

I also don't understand why everyone seems to think Bratt can only play RW. He was drafted as a LW and was forced to the right side to play on a line with Hall. I don't think he'd have any problems playing on the left.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Reading Minnesota fans, it sounds like he's big but doesn't play big whatsoever. Definitely doesn't add sandpaper.

It's a 'probably not NHLer' for a different 'probably not NHLer' trade.

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad