Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Is it a lot?

$13 million
- $4 million for Mercer
=====
$9 million

Assuming a 22 player roster:
- They have 9 forwards signed including Mercer. They need to get to 13. Take out your top 6 LW. That leaves 3 more forwards to sign.
- They have 6 defense signed. Assume they add a top 4 D only (no other signings).

Three players at $833k average = $2.5 million (to keep math simple)

$9 million
- $2.5 million
======
$6.5 milion

Is that enough for a top 4 D AND top 6 LW? Feels like you can only get one of those two at best, and you're not shopping at the top end of the market. Plus, this assumes 22 man roster. You need to allocate another $775k at least if you go with a 23 man roster.
Well we have 15.3 mill to spend and signing mercer at 4 mill leaves us 11.3 mill for the following positions

Meier-Hischier-Bratt
------Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Holtz
----- ------ -Lazar
Siegs-Hamilton
Hughes-Nemec
--------Marino
Markstrom
Allen

Bastian
Macdermid
Desimone

1 Dman, 1 middle 6 forward (any of the 3rd line could move up into a top 6 role if need be), 2 bottom 6 forwards for 9 mill if you want to preserve rollover cap space.

Reactions: My3Sons

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I wonder if the Devils would have any interest in Lindholm on a one or two year prove it deal, depending on the AAV.

His game definitely fell off since he played with Tkachuk and Gaudreau, but if he’s paid like a 2C, he could be a nice addition to our top six, perhaps as a center for Hughes.
Hughes is the center and Lindholm is going to get a 6 or 7 year term so not realistic.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Well we have 15.3 mill to spend and signing mercer at 4 mill leaves us 11.3 mill for the following positions

Meier-Hischier-Bratt
------Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Holtz
----- ------ -Lazar
Siegs-Hamilton
Hughes-Nemec
--------Marino
Markstrom
Allen

Bastian
Macdermid
Desimone

1 Dman, 1 middle 6 forward (any of the 3rd line could move up into a top 6 role if need be), 2 bottom 6 forwards for 9 mill if you want to preserve rollover cap space.
theres no reason Bastian should be the 13th or 14th forward; absolutely no one on the team hits more than him and hes one of few Devils who has put his body on the line for the team for multiple years now

Bastian is locked into that fourth line and if he isnt, Fitzgerald is talking our of his ass when he says he wants the team to be tougher to play against (aftwr also trading Bahl)

Like I said I have no interest in Pesce. Suffered big injury last year, reports he lost a step and is getting older. Just sign Matt Roy for less money who just had a great season. Or just keep Marino
Its so simple - just sign the other player

Its not like he has 31 other options!

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

Meier-Hischier-Bratt
------Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Holtz
----- ------ -Lazar
Siegs-Hamilton
Hughes-Nemec
--------Marino
Markstrom
Allen

Bastian
Macdermid
Desimone

Right - forgot Macdermid is included as D. So, right, one less player to sign.

But, as you said, $9 million. Two bottom 6 forwards take up $1.6 of that. So, $7.4 (not $6.5 - my mistake) is what's left for the middle six forward and top 4 D.

Still not seeing where that's a lot?

Pesce even at $5.5 would mean signing a "middle six" forward for $1.9. In a world where Dakota Joshua just got $3.25. Henrique or someone similar at $3 million - $4 million would mean $3.4 - $4.4 million for the D. Maybe you can find a mid pair guy for that? I'd love to get Ferraro (though, his price seems to be going up and I know a lot of people here don't like him).

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
theres no reason Bastian should be the 13th or 14th forward; absolutely no one on the team hits more than him and hes one of few Devils who has put his body on the line for the team for multiple years now

Bastian is locked into that fourth line and if he isnt, Fitzgerald is talking our of his ass when he says he wants the team to be tougher to play against (aftwr also trading Bahl)

Its so simple - just sign the other player

Its not like he has 31 other options!
Nathan Bastian is not an effective NHL hockey player without Michael McLeod to carry him.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I wonder if the Devils would have any interest in Lindholm on a one or two year prove it deal, depending on the AAV.

His game definitely fell off since he played with Tkachuk and Gaudreau, but if he’s paid like a 2C, he could be a nice addition to our top six, perhaps as a center for Hughes.
Lindholm's going to Boston for a massive (and very bad) contract.

• Love
Reactions: BostonDevil

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
Nathan Bastian is not an effective NHL hockey player without Michael McLeod to carry him.
And we'd know this how? How many games does Bastian have post-McLeod not under Lindy Ruff? Zero
Bastian is the toughest softie on the marshmallow team
maybe true but remove every toughest softie and youre left with just softies

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Right - forgot Macdermid is included as D. So, right, one less player to sign.

But, as you said, $9 million. Two bottom 6 forwards take up $1.6 of that. So, $7.4 (not $6.5) is what's left for the middle six forward and top 4 D.

Still not seeing where that's a lot?

Pesce even at $5.5 would mean signing a "middle six" forward for $1.9. In a world where Dakota Joshua just got $3.25. Henrique or someone similar at $3 million - $4 million would mean $3.4 - $4.4 million for the D. Maybe you can find a mid pair guy for that? I'd love to get Ferraro (though, his price seems to be going up and I know a lot of people here don't like him).
I'd be very happy with

Walman (3.4), Foegele (3), Trenin (2), Duhaime, (1). That would be 9.4, with mercer at 4 that would leave us 1.9 mill in extra cap space and a full roster (macdermid probably replaced by a 900k ELC and is buried in the AHL to save another 200k or so).

Meier-Hischier-Bratt
Foegele-Hughes-Mercer
Palat-Haula-Holtz
Trenin-Lazar-Duhaime
Siegs-Hamilton
Walman-Marino
Luke-Nemec
Markstrom
Allen
Desimone/Hatakka
Bastian
Foote

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Hughes is the center and Lindholm is going to get a 6 or 7 year term so not realistic.
Lindholm could take faceoffs but play wing otherwise.

Feel like his prospects for a long term deal may have dwindled. Maybe he signs for a year at 5 million to hopefully boost his value back to 8 million AAV.

Moist ReadOnly

Jun 7, 2024
I don’t see how it’s a clear upgrade on ice. Let alone adding the other factors.
If Pesce is being acquired its to play with what we have

He'll be above Luke with Dougie on his offhand, like hes done in the past during ECF runs by Carolina

Team defense sucked last year and, even in our dominant season, we struggled when the puck was kept in our zone longer than ten seconds. Pesce helps that tremendously, slower or not

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
What better C // LWer for Hughes then Stammer !??

Lets just get him
1111111111111.JPG

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Is it a lot?

$13 million
- $4 million for Mercer
=====
$9 million

Assuming a 22 player roster:
- They have 9 forwards signed including Mercer. They need to get to 13. Take out your top 6 LW. That leaves 3 more forwards to sign.
- They have 6 defense signed. Assume they add a top 4 D only (no other signings).

Three players at $833k average = $2.5 million (to keep math simple)

$9 million
- $2.5 million
======
$6.5 milion

Is that enough for a top 4 D AND top 6 LW? Feels like you can only get one of those two at best, and you're not shopping at the top end of the market. Plus, this assumes 22 man roster. You need to allocate another $775k at least if you go with a 23 man roster.
I meant it's a lot to accomplish with limited space. This is the main reason why I was in-favor of running back the same D once Keefe was brought in. I'm a believer that he will implement a system that improves the defensive results and it would give us a lot of cash to overload the forward group again.

since Bahl was moved, that possibility is out the window. My focus would now shift to Kulikov or a comparable vet that we can bring in to play in the bottom 4 and just hope Luke is up to the task of being the minute eater at even strength. If we need to upgrade LHD mid-season we can look to do it then. Spend the cap space we want to spend on 2 forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad