Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Usually the classic HF Voltron trade proposal is packaging together a bunch of outright crap for the other team's superstar.

Instead, that proposal is packaging up several of the Devils' "premium assets" (TM) for a guy who would be like the third best forward here.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's still not ridiculous enough for the trade board. :sarcasm:
Pretty sure Brady would be the 5th best forward here. I'm not convinced he's a better player overall than Meier.
7:02 AM Good morning !

It's draft day 🎉

About 13 hours until we pick.
You know good and well we're trading it for William Karlsson

• Haha
Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Matt Roy would be the better option, really hope the Devils get fascinated by Pesce's name

Like I said I have no interest in Pesce. Suffered big injury last year, reports he lost a step and is getting older. Just sign Matt Roy for less money who just had a great season.

What the Spiderman pointing at Spiderman meme :laugh:

Last edited:

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I still feel like the best option is banking on Marino rebounding. The whole point of going out and getting Markstrom was that he gobbles up chances from the slot. Those are the weakness in Marino's game so in theory these two players should compliment each other.

If they're bringing Pesce in to play the left side then fine. But if we're spending our biggest chunk of remaining cap space on a defender, I'd rather it was someone with a little less risk involved.

Spending big on a defender to then trade Marino sounds like a lateral move, and spending big on a defender to add to the group makes me concerned that they'll be relying on Palat/Haula/Mercer/Holtz to fill out the top 6, or to just add 1 F and no meaningful additions to the bottom six.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I still feel like the best option is banking on Marino rebounding. The whole point of going out and getting Markstrom was that he gobbles up chances from the slot. Those are the weakness in Marino's game so in theory these two players should compliment each other.

If they're bringing Pesce in to play the left side then fine. But if we're spending our biggest chunk of remaining cap space on a defender, I'd rather it was someone with a little less risk involved.

Spending big on a defender to then trade Marino sounds like a lateral move, and spending big on a defender to add to the group makes me concerned that they'll be relying on Palat/Haula/Mercer/Holtz to fill out the top 6, or to just add 1 F and no meaningful additions to the bottom six.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

This is why I have a hard time believing that the plan is to move on from Marino.

The much more likely plan is how to mitigate two young defenders mistakes and make a serious push.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I am more inclined to believe you will probably see one of pesce or Marino on their off hand
I don't like the idea honestly.

If you are looking for a Dman to be a stable partner for young one, putting them on the off hand isn't the best way to promote stability...

Reactions: tailfins

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
I don't like the idea honestly.

If you are looking for a Dman to be a stable partner for young one, putting them on the off hand isn't the best way to promote stability...
I think it might be more of how do we fix the pk while acquiring a good defensemen for free idea and if it turns out that one of them has to play on the off hand that’s probably a last resort

TrufleShufle

Aug 31, 2012
I'm leaning towards wanting Zadorav now and keeping everything else the same (with defense at least.) I get he's not that great in a vacuum, but could be the perfect addition to stabilize all the lines, especially with Dougie back in. Marino gets pushed down or can not try to do double duty like he did last year, tasked with being Karrlson one night and Chara the next. Luke can play with anyone on the right side he works with. Seigs can get pushed down if he still hasnt found his game again.

I know the obvious response to this is "Zadorov sucks and will get paid too much," but if the contract isn't terrible, him just being here could allow everyone else to play the minutes and positions they are suppose to. Nico playing makes Jack better just on matchups alone and never playing together. It's that thought.

Reactions: Rhodes 81

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I'm leaning towards wanting Zadorav now and keeping everything else the same (with defense at least.) I get he's not that great in a vacuum, but could be the perfect addition to stabilize all the lines, especially with Dougie back in. Marino gets pushed down or can not try to do double duty like he did last year, tasked with being Karrlson one night and Chara the next. Luke can play with anyone on the right side he works with. Seigs can get pushed down if he still hasnt found his game again.

I know the obvious response to this is "Zadorov sucks and will get paid too much," but if the contract isn't terrible, him just being here could allow everyone else to play the minutes and positions they are suppose to. Nico playing makes Jack better just on matchups alone and never playing together. It's that thought.
Zadorov sucks and will get paid too much

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
I think it might be more of how do we fix the pk while acquiring a good defensemen for free idea and if it turns out that one of them has to play on the off hand that’s probably a last resort
If the choice is between Pesce or trading assets for a LHD that could provide what Pesce does, I can see the desire to just sign Pesce. Both options have inherent risk. I said it a few days ago, but I guess the hope is that Pesce is willing to give up some value on the contract to play closer to home. If you can sign him for a reasonable term/cap then you save yourself trading Holtz or Casey+ for a similar player. Getting Pesce also gives you some insurance with Hamilton.

Just worried that none of the four RHD would end up being able to play the left side well enough.

Reactions: Guadana

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
IMO, Fitz will want to fill out the roster while keeping money (my guess is $7 million at the trade deadline) available for potential trade deadline acquisitions.

Given that, I don't see the Devils having a lot of cap space for pricey FAs (but maybe my math is off?).

The Devils only have $15 million in space left with Mercer still to sign (and multiple roster spots to fill) - using Capfriendly's numbers.

I'd be surprised if the Devils go into the season with less than $2 million in space so they can manage injury call ups and still have space at the deadline.

IMO, this leaves very little room for high end additions like Pesce - unless someone is getting subtracted.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Also probably want to make sure they have space leftover to avoid bonus overages going into the next year when Luke will need an extension. I see us as having $13 million to spend realistically. I think Mercer ends up taking around $4 of that on a short-term deal which leaves us with a lot to manage to add a top 4 D, top 6 LW, and at least one more strong 4th liner.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Also probably want to make sure they have space leftover to avoid bonus overages going into the next year when Luke will need an extension. I see us as having $13 million to spend realistically. I think Mercer ends up taking around $4 of that on a short-term deal which leaves us with a lot to manage to add a top 4 D, top 6 LW, and at least one more strong 4th liner.
Is it a lot?

$13 million
- $4 million for Mercer
=====
$9 million

Assuming a 22 player roster:
- They have 9 forwards signed including Mercer. They need to get to 13. Take out your top 6 LW. That leaves 3 more forwards to sign.
- They have 6 defense signed. Assume they add a top 4 D only (no other signings).

Three players at $833k average = $2.5 million (to keep math simple)

$9 million
- $2.5 million
======
$6.5 milion

Is that enough for a top 4 D AND top 6 LW? Feels like you can only get one of those two at best, and you're not shopping at the top end of the market. Plus, this assumes 22 man roster. You need to allocate another $775k at least if you go with a 23 man roster.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Given its a rising cap, I can see us spending to the limit despite the overages.

Reactions: My3Sons

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I wonder if the Devils would have any interest in Lindholm on a one or two year prove it deal, depending on the AAV.

His game definitely fell off since he played with Tkachuk and Gaudreau, but if he’s paid like a 2C, he could be a nice addition to our top six, perhaps as a center for Hughes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad