Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
The problem is every bet Fitz has made on goaltending was a good one. Crawford and Bernier were both solid veterans that had proven very capable of a tandem role. Bernier was only 32 when he signed with us, Crawford was 35, but both of those were only two-year commitments which is a fine bet to make for a UFA that costs no other assets. Blackwood showed a lot of promise when healthy so it was reasonable to keep expecting him to be able to work in a tandem as well. Vanecek had been solid in a tandem and did fine his first season even as his play trailed off. He was absurdly below his career average performance last season and in the playoffs in 2023. And by all accounts he tried to keep Schmid in the AHL last year despite popular opinion and continued to do so during the season, but just couldn't find a deal for a price he was comfortable with.

I can't fault him on any of this, but I could fault him on caving now. If he does that, it's being too results oriented. If it was right to avoid paying big assets for a goalie before, it is right now. Luckily, I think he understands that, but he also feels like he has to do something better than Talbot or whoever, so now we're stuck with some assets going somewhere for the sake of saving face and hoping that whatever goalie we end up with is actually that much better than what we could have had for free.

your right i dont blame him in the past going cheap for various reasons but i will blame him for going cheap yet again. We have been down the road before and it failed all the cheap crap goalies this team has trotted out have failed. you want to go the next 4 years when we have players on cheap contracts with patch work spotty goaltending? fitz should and will get blamed for it and probably fired. its a very hard position to fill i get it but for me to go from crap bottom feeding goaltending to at the minimum good/average goaltending? it will make a total world of difference.

I don't believe Rogalski is even real. He's a myth, we have no goalie coach.
rollo tomassi

• Haha
Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
It's Pagnotta so take it with a grain of salt.

"If the Flames and Devils complete a swap, a goaltender is not expected to be heading to the Flames in a move. According to Pagnotta, Devils forward Alexander Holtz was part of the return during the season. It is unclear, at this point, if he could be in a deal now.

The Devils are also looking to add a scoring winger to their lineup and some teams have been calling Calgary about forward Andrew Mangiapane, who is entering the final year of his contract."

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
It's Pagnotta so take it with a grain of salt.

"If the Flames and Devils complete a swap, a goaltender is not expected to be heading to the Flames in a move. According to Pagnotta, Devils forward Alexander Holtz was part of the return during the season. It is unclear, at this point, if he could be in a deal now.

The Devils are also looking to add a scoring winger to their lineup and some teams have been calling Calgary about forward Andrew Mangiapane, who is entering the final year of his contract."

mangiapane would be a nice get

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I hate to say it..but a lot of you have “Loser Mentality”.

It didn’t work with what the Devils had last year.

Fitz should just wait around for the perfect opportunity. Who cares if that opportunity doesn’t come..

There are possible issues around corner.

1) Possible Expansion
2) CBA is Due 26’
A) Both sides are all ready prepping
3) Years with added wear (Olympics and 4 Nations)

These are just a couple outside factors. Teams have shown you can navigate Cap issues. You can bury bad contracts.

Some of you don’t think the Devils will compete until 25-26 but are also upset with Markstrom who could be gone by that time.
No. If you want to make up nonsensical arguments, be your own guest.

1. I think the Devils should be contending right now.

2. I don't think Markstrom is that great and not worth expending decent assets to acquire.

It's possible to hold these two positions.

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023
if we want markstrom would jake allen waive his clause to play in calgary?
what other playes would calgary want other than holtz. id love calgarys 28th pick too

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
I don't believe Rogalski is even real. He's a myth, we have no goalie coach.
IMG_3345.gif

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
if we want markstrom would jake allen waive his clause to play in calgary?
what other playes would calgary want other than holtz. id love calgarys 28th pick too

I doubt that they are looking to move Allen after they just got him to waive his NTC to come to Jersey. That would be dirty.

I think there's question on whether Calgary would even want Holtz. They kind of have their own version in Coronato right now. I think their main issue is center (which we can't really help them with).

The only way the Devils are likely getting pick 28 is if they are sending pick 10 to Calgary.

Reactions: My3Sons

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014
I doubt that they are looking to move Allen after they just got him to waive his NTC to come to Jersey. That would be dirty.

I think there's question on whether Calgary would even want Holtz. They kind of have their own version in Coronato right now. I think their main issue is center (which we can't really help them with).

The only way the Devils are likely getting pick 28 is if they are sending pick 10 to Calgary.
This is what I hope the worst case scenario is for the Devils .. Markstrom, #28, and some salary retention to the Devils for #10. Hate losing #10, but the Devils need a #1 goalie. Time to get that thing settled for a couple seasons at least. #28 would still possible net us a solid player for our minor league system. #10 for Markstrom straight up just seems too rich.

• Haha
Reactions: Homedresser

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
Colliton is a very solid add to the coaching staff, happy with that.

Mangiapane would be an interesting addition as part of the Markstrom trade, I wonder if Calgary would entertain a trade with Palat going back the other way if it meant acquiring the 10th overall?

Reactions: My3Sons

HughesCorporation

in the box
Jan 27, 2023

if they want markstrom that means allen sits. not sure how happy he would be ,, seems just as dirty

agree on the last two we have little

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
if they want markstrom that means allen sits. not sure how happy he would be ,, seems just as dirty

agree on the last two we have little
Markstrom isn't playing all 82. Allen would be the backup and will probably play 25-30 games, health permitting. I don't think that they got him to waive by saying that he was going to be the starter or anything.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
if the Islanders go in a totally new direction this offseason, what do the Devils need to add to 10 OA for Sorokin?

If 10OA + Mercer for Sorokin was put on the table do you bite?
Did Lou retire? If not there is no franchise further away from a new direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad