Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
this is where people lose me, IMO... like to say lightyears? how so?

per espn, SV % for Markstrom was .905(top 25) vs Kakhonen at .898 &Allen at .895... .010 is light years? enough to move the 10th OA?(rumored price), take on high cap hits for two years for goalie who's closer to his downside if not already sliding? For a team, not really banging on FLA doorsteps right now.....

Goalie is absolutely in need of an improvement/upgrade, no one here should debate that nor I am.

GAA, its Markstrom at 2.78 vs Allen at 3.44 and Kahkonen at 3.64..... that 1 goal does make a difference but i wouldn't describe that as light years.

If we're talking about losing games, 6-5 then the pro Markstrom is on to something, but if we're losing 6-2/3... goaltending isn't the main issue in that respect. IMO

Can't wait for the O'Keefe effect in our offense and overall team play...

hopefully back to exciting Devils Hockey!

I think markstrom wins about 8-10 games that we shouldn't have or where goaltending cost us last year. i also dont think he puts us in a massive 0-2 against the rangers or a massive liability against the canes. basically the difference of making the playoffs and possible home ice. to me that is lightyears

as for the bolded part if you want to wait out other teams from their windows then you will be waiting a long time. i dont care what florida does/doesn't do how good or bad they are or any other team. you give your core the best chance they have to win today not two years from now today.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
if the Islanders go in a totally new direction this offseason, what do the Devils need to add to 10 OA for Sorokin?

If 10OA + Mercer for Sorokin was put on the table do you bite?

Have to get a goalie coach worth his name other than Rogalski to help Sorokin's mental which seems shot after last year, otherwise we're just shuffling decks on the titanic. But yes

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
if the Islanders go in a totally new direction this offseason, what do the Devils need to add to 10 OA for Sorokin?

If 10OA + Mercer for Sorokin was put on the table do you bite?
ooooo man 8+ cap hit for another 7 years taking a goalie over the 35 year old hump? oh man the cap crew will come after you!

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
ooooo man 8+ cap hit for another 7 years taking a goalie over the 35 year old hump? oh man the cap crew will come after you!

It's an 8 year deal and Sorokin would be 29 years old this season, so you'd be getting a lot of prime years before the tail end of his contract.

It's a big risk though to pay a premium in both assets and cap space to assume that he bounces back from this past season. Not sure how things went off the rails to the point that he was a backup in the playoffs and looked awful in his one playoff appearance.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

James apparently choosing violence.

dont need retention take the full cap and take another player or pick back. i'm not happy paying 10 for markstrom + but i get thats the going rate and after the year we just experienced with goaltending plus the playoffs the year before? it needs to be addressed

It's an 8 year deal and Sorokin would be 29 years old this season, so you'd be getting a lot of prime years before the tail end of his contract.

It's a big risk though to pay a premium in both assets and cap space to assume that he bounces back from this past season. Not sure how things went off the rails to the point that he was a backup in the playoffs and looked awful in his one playoff appearance.
I know from experience how this board feels about giving out big time $$$ and years to guys when they hit 28. me personally i dont care about the age thing but its a touchy subject on here.

bolded i agree with and was always my knock

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
I hope to god Fitz isn’t making decisions based on how easy it will be to excuse or tell the owners after the fact. But he’ll be trying something new regardless. It’s just a matter of how big and expensive he’s going.

The problem with Markstrom is the potential price being discussed far exceeds the value we could reasonably expect.

Will I be a millionaire next year?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I can see it now...

Get 35 year old goaltender...spend three months arguing the value of assets we gave up... The apologist will yell over and over they weren't good or were insignificant..."picks are a crap shoot"

When the 35 year old gets injured....then claim that the injured 35 year old was "just bad luck".

This is what my crystal balls are showing me....

Hey wasn't Corey Crawford about the same age when we signed him too?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Rogalski still is employed lol

Dude is TEFLON

I can see it now...

Get 35 year old goaltender...spend three months arguing the value of assets we gave up... The apologist will yell over and over they weren't good or were insignificant..."picks are a crap shoot"

When the 35 year old gets injured....then claim that the injured 35 year old was "just bad luck".

Corey Crawford retired because of mental health struggles

But yeah totally the same thing!

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
IMG_5653.jpeg

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I can see it now...

It’s just a matter of what we give up. I’m perfectly willing to risk it with Markstrom as long as we’re not moving our 1st.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm surprised that the assistants are largely staying, but I expect we'll see differences in things regardless between Ruff and Keefe with the structure he will (supposedly) implement.

We'll see if it makes a true difference from a goaltending perspective since that was something that plagued his tenure in Toronto as well.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Hey what Bernier doing right now?
The problem is every bet Fitz has made on goaltending was a good one. Crawford and Bernier were both solid veterans that had proven very capable of a tandem role. Bernier was only 32 when he signed with us, Crawford was 35, but both of those were only two-year commitments which is a fine bet to make for a UFA that costs no other assets. Blackwood showed a lot of promise when healthy so it was reasonable to keep expecting him to be able to work in a tandem as well. Vanecek had been solid in a tandem and did fine his first season even as his play trailed off. He was absurdly below his career average performance last season and in the playoffs in 2023. And by all accounts he tried to keep Schmid in the AHL last year despite popular opinion and continued to do so during the season, but just couldn't find a deal for a price he was comfortable with.

I can't fault him on any of this, but I could fault him on caving now. If he does that, it's being too results oriented. If it was right to avoid paying big assets for a goalie before, it is right now. Luckily, I think he understands that, but he also feels like he has to do something better than Talbot or whoever, so now we're stuck with some assets going somewhere for the sake of saving face and hoping that whatever goalie we end up with is actually that much better than what we could have had for free.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The problem is every bet Fitz has made on goaltending was a good one. Crawford and Bernier were both solid veterans that had proven very capable of a tandem role. Bernier was only 32 when he signed with us, Crawford was 35, but both of those were only two-year commitments which is a fine bet to make for a UFA that costs no other assets. Blackwood showed a lot of promise when healthy so it was reasonable to keep expecting him to be able to work in a tandem as well. Vanecek had been solid in a tandem and did fine his first season even as his play trailed off. He was absurdly below his career average performance last season and in the playoffs in 2023. And by all accounts he tried to keep Schmid in the AHL last year despite popular opinion and continued to do so during the season, but just couldn't find a deal for a price he was comfortable with.

I can't fault him on any of this, but I could fault him on caving now. If he does that, it's being too results oriented. If it was right to avoid paying big assets for a goalie before, it is right now. Luckily, I think he understands that, but he also feels like he has to do something better than Talbot or whoever, so now we're stuck with some assets going somewhere for the sake of saving face and hoping that whatever goalie we end up with is actually that much better than what we could have had for free.
That sounded like a recap of Spinal Tap's drummers :)

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
Stupid response.

Well, how do we how Markstrom performs if he's not on our team playing within our system? Is that what you were implying?

A trade to acquire him needs to happen. The trade and the outcome of the trade are independent. So whether he's great or poor has very little effect on what we gave up months before.

Louskoolaid89

Let's Go!!!
Oct 14, 2017
Interesting to note that Amanda says he rounds out the staff with Taylor, McGill, Brylin, and Rogalski (shit). Guess all those guys are staying.
I wish Rogalski would have been shown the door but, for the rest they can give Keefe useful feedback on these players. Let's a 75 year old Chico be the goalile coach and do color on radio. Better than keeping this clown that can't help develop young goalies or fix flaws in the veterans goalies game. A elite goalie should be good enough for him not to matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad