Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Wondering out loud, do we think the team might simply choose to go into the year with 4 RHD penciled into the top 6? Plenty of teams do that the other way around. Replacing Bahl with Pesce and figuring it out still seems like an upgrade on paper.

I'm not as convinced Hamilton is replaceable right now after watching our PP flounder and over game without him last year, but I could see them choosing to cash out now while he would still return actual assets than paying someone to take him in 3 years.
I think that’s more likely.

As for Hamilton being replaceable. I don’t disagree with you but Luke is gonna be on the top powerplay regardless. Biggest issue to a Hamilton trade right now would be his NMC. Can’t see him wanting to leave.

Shakir ONeal

Jimmy Hughes
Sep 21, 2017
IMG_9522.gif

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Marino has a NTC coming up and RHD with term will have value. They can think Pesce even with an increase on the cap + whatever the Devils get back for Marino is more valuable going forward than just Marino. Nemec is going to be a mainstay regardless
Still don’t think they’ll trade him.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
I won’t be for free. It’ll be for at least 2-3M more in cap space and more term for a 30 year old defensemen who doesn’t seem to be as good as he previously was.
What if you could get that kid from the Jets for a Marino base deal? Pay an extra couple mill for an upgrade on defense and come out with a perfect fit for our top 9(who is 20)

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Even if it’s not Marino going out then that means Siegs. Yes Siegs had a nightmare year last year but I’d still be betting on the bounceback under Keefe than adding a guy to make double his money in his 30s and push someone to play their off side.
We can afford to keep both this next year, then trade someone after that. Seigs and Pesce are both coming off disappointing years by the standards they've set for themselves, but assuming one of them rebounds to be worthy of taking the heavy defensive minutes is probably a safe bet to make and then the other would probably end up being a 3rd pair/PK luxury similar to what Severson was his last year.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
somebody got a LD version of Marino kicking around they’d be willing to swap?

Of course, nemec is still PKing then, which Jim SWEARS will be a disaster

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
What if you could get that kid from the Jets for a Marino base deal? Pay an extra couple mill for an upgrade on defense and come out with a perfect fit for our top 9(who is 20)
That’s all entirely hypothetical one. Two it’s debatable whether he’ll even be an upgrade and the contract is worse.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
I don't think he'll be in the AHL.... I think if Pesce was added he'd be watching for the first 10 games or so depending on the Win Loss record.
This isn't a serious take surely. The only thing more insane then sending Nemec down, is him being a healthy scratch.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
We can afford to keep both this next year, then trade someone after that. Seigs and Pesce are both coming off disappointing years by the standards they've set for themselves, but assuming one of them rebounds to be worthy of taking the heavy defensive minutes is probably a safe bet to make and then the other would probably end up being a 3rd pair/PK luxury similar to what Severson was his last year.

If you keep both this year you’re barely giving yourself any money to work on the forwards and I think we need 3 guys. We have 16 mil. Between Pesce and Mercer’s new deal you’re looking at 10-11 added.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
If they do bring in Pesce on a long UFA contract, where does that leave Casey???

I know there's no rush and it's pretty obvious that Dougie won't see out his contract on this team.

Still, can't see him wanting to slum it out in the AHL for more than a couple years.

Reactions: woody footbreaker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad