Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
As we discussed the other day, as long as him Luke and Dougie are around, one of them will have to kill penalties.
Sure...still, you're not taking a 20 year old Right hander and putting on the left side to kill penalties....that would be really dumb.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Sure...still, you're not taking a 20 year old Right hander and putting on the left side to kill penalties....that would be really dumb.
I don’t think the handiness matters even remotely close to as much on the penalty kill. From experience.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Absolutely. That’s why it’s either Pesce isn’t signing here (probable) or Dougie is COOKED (maybe idk) or Pesce is and Marino is getting moved (I doubt it tbh)

Reactions: bossram

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
That’s all entirely hypothetical one. Two it’s debatable whether he’ll even be an upgrade and the contract is worse.
He has been the superior defender his entire career, so don't think it is a big debate on if its an upgrade or not. Think the debate is how massive the upgrade could be. Now is the time for us to use the cap to our advantage. If the only thing we need to get a nice upgrade is pay a couple million extra(which we have) that seems like a good move. Not to mention then we'd have a very valuable asset we can trade to help our forward core or flip for a LHD. Or we can just keep him and finally have a promising defense again.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If they do bring in Pesce on a long UFA contract, where does that leave Casey???

I know there's no rush and it's pretty obvious that Dougie won't see out his contract on this team.

Still, can't see him wanting to slum it out in the AHL for more than a couple years.

Casey for McGroarty is a deal that makes sense to me. It’s a deal I want to do but only if we can snag one of the top D at 10

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
This isn't a serious take surely. The only thing more insane then sending Nemec down, is him being a healthy scratch.

If Dougie, Marino and Pesce were on this team there would be no another option.

I bet Hatakka would even play that Left side before Nemec....and considering his contact situation and the fact that he would have to clear waivers, I think that's a likely scenario.

Reactions: Comparison Ford

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He has been the superior defender his entire career, so don't think it is a big debate on if its an upgrade or not. Think the debate is how massive the upgrade could be. Now is the time for us to use the cap to our advantage. If the only thing we need to get a nice upgrade is pay a couple million extra(which we have) that seems like a good move. Not to mention then we'd have a very valuable asset we can trade to help our forward core or flip for a LHD. Or we can just keep him and finally have a promising defense again.

He literally hasn’t been a superior defender.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
If they do bring in Pesce on a long UFA contract, where does that leave Casey???

I know there's no rush and it's pretty obvious that Dougie won't see out his contract on this team.

Still, can't see him wanting to slum it out in the AHL for more than a couple years.
I think we should sell high on Casey. Not convinced his productivity will translate as well in the NHL and he plays a premium position.

Reactions: bossram

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
If you keep both this year you’re barely giving yourself any money to work on the forwards and I think we need 3 guys. We have 16 mil. Between Pesce and Mercer’s new deal you’re looking at 10-11 added.
Not saying this is how I would utilize the space, but we traded Bahl so we have to add a D now regardless. If they think Pesce is the best value available and will work with the roster then it is what it is at that point. They'd have to bank on Holtz or Mercer filling a top 6 spot probably.

I think with Casey you have to take the stance that he has to force his way onto the team, not the other way around. He's a nice prospect, but he's not a Nemec/Luke type prospect where you open a spot for them purposefully.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
His entire career doesn’t matter. He hasn’t been as good recently as he was previously in his career. It is absolutely debatable if this is an upgrade going forward given that and the fact that he’s hitting his 30s. We don’t have enough cap space now or in the future to be using it to our advantage. We need to be smart with it.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
He literally hasn’t been a superior defender.
Marino looked awful last season, sure you can hope he bounces back, but that isn't no guarantee. He worn out his welcome on the Penguins, wouldn't shock me if the same thing occurred here in Jersey.

His entire career doesn’t matter. He hasn’t been as good recently as he was previously in his career. It is absolutely debatable if this is an upgrade going forward given that and the fact that he’s hitting his 30s. We don’t have enough cap space now or in the future to be using it to our advantage. We need to be smart with it.
Neither has Marino, yet everyone thinks he bounces back yet Pesce can't bounce back from a down season?

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The only way I’m happy with signing Pesce is if it’s with Hamilton being traded in a good deal for us and Pesce signing at a hometown discount. More cap space to use, slightly younger D and more defensive D group leaving room hope Luke and Nemec to be offensive and run our power plays.

First part of that isn’t gonna happen.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I’m still leaning towards not believing the Pesce stuff right now so don’t really deal like discussing it anymore.

Don’t really know who the dude that reported it is.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
The only way I’m happy with signing Pesce is if it’s with Hamilton being traded in a good deal for us and Pesce signing at a hometown discount. More cap space to use, slightly younger D and more defensive D group leaving room hope Luke and Nemec to be offensive and run our power plays.

First part of that isn’t gonna happen.
Trading Dougie would be utter madness.

Putting aside his offensive ability and minute munching, what does that signal to potential UFA's in the future if we are so ready to ditch a premier one after a couple years and an unfortunate injury??

Dougie was the first premier UFA that wanted to come here. He wanted to be a Devil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad