Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
The only reason I'd be ok with signing Pesce is for the comedic potential of the inevitable Joe Pesci memes.

For example, Pesce talking about Luke and Nemec:

200w.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
can we just have 1 thread where you post 43432897 nonsensical messages about how much you hate Nemec and Luke so it doesn't derail every single thread you post on?
I love Nemec and Luke...and I believe they are the keys to this teams success.

There just weren't ready for the roles they were thrown into last year and I think they still might not be to varying degrees.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Who are these people though?

Dan Powers is a part of the Empty Netters podcast. I'm not sure what his connections are on things, but they've had quite a few players on as guests so it's not just any generic hockey show. (Swayman, Eichel, Jarvis, Toffoli, Chelios, PK, etc.)

Sara Civian used to write for the Canes for the Athletic, so she's more connected I would say. Her vouching for him is a point in his favor. And as I mentioned earlier, he did call rumblings of Berube bringing Savard in on his staff a month before the announcement as well as called Keefe to us a few days before it was officially announced.

Definitely enough smoke to warrant a discussion.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Paying the older guy for term and 2-2.5+ mil over Marino certainly is a choice… If it’s a short deal then fine. If it’s long this is stupid.
Pesce's not signing anywhere unless he's getting the bag. Likely 5-6 years at $6+M.

It will be a bad contract. The blueline version of the Palat deal. People jumped on the critics of the Palat deal, but they were right.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I very much doubt Marino’s on the way out. Think them playing 4RD or Nemec being pushed out of the lineup is more likely.

Both of these are horrendous, horrendous ideas, so I doubt they will be doing either of them. RHDs on the left side doesn't work and Fitzgerald was GM when they were last tried here for any significant amount of time. Nemec belongs in the league and demonstrated that last season.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Pesce's not signing anywhere unless he's getting the bag. Likely 5-6 years at $6+M.

It will be a bad contract. The blueline version of the Palat deal. People jumped on the critics of the Palat deal, but they were right.

I agree but if there was anyway to get an Orlov then fine but other than that count me the f*** out. I think 6 is lowballing it too. I think it’s at least 6.5

Reactions: woody footbreaker

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

The difference here is that we literally have zero players like Palat or anyone in the pipeline that plays like him. And how many guys in free agency play like him and won’t get their own bag?

With this, Marino is awfully similar and locked up at a decent number. And we have one of the best offensive D in franchise history and a future number 1 already in house on the right side.

I think it would be more puzzling than a Palat deal unless we somehow avoid giving him huge term. Or maybe they’re comfortable with him on the left side and see him as a Siegs upgrade? Who knows.

Shakir ONeal

Jimmy Hughes
Sep 21, 2017
Isn’t Slavin rumored to get 8x6.5? I’d like to think they could keep it in the 5s no matter the length of the deal

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
is there any world where Marino plays left side? i don’t think it’s smart but if it’s on the bottom pair then maybe it works?

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I agree but if there was anyway to get an Orlov then fine but other than that count me the f*** out. I think 6 is lowballing it too. I think it’s at least 6.5
I would be fine with an Orlov-type deal too, but that's not what's going to happen.

I agree on the price. What I said is probably the floor. $6x6 minimum is what I expect.
The difference here is that we literally have zero players like Palat or anyone in the pipeline that plays like him. And how many guys in free agency play like him and won’t get their own bag?

With this, Marino is awfully similar and locked up at a decent number. And we have one of the best offensive D in franchise history and a future number 1 already in house on the right side.

I think it would be more puzzling than a Palat deal unless we somehow avoid giving him huge term. Or maybe they’re comfortable with him on the left side and see him as a Siegs upgrade? Who knows.
"Worse than the Palat deal" is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ

Overpaying for fit is how you get yourself in trouble and we got ourselves in trouble there. No reason to get yourself in even more trouble

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

That seems like an awfully high projection.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Orlov is terrible unless you meant the deal he got from Carolina which I still wouldn't even like at that point

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Overpaying for fit is how you get yourself in trouble and we got ourselves in trouble there. No reason to get yourself in even more trouble
You also want to give your new coach all the tools he needs to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad