Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Orlov is terrible unless you meant the deal he got from Carolina which I still wouldn't even like at that point

Orlov’s not terrible. An Orlov type deal for Pesce IF you can move Marino for good value is only way I’m cool with it. Like if it’s Marino in a deal for McGroarty and Pesce on a short deal that’s good

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Hey gang, saw the likely Pesce news and came by to ask if y’all would have any interest in a swap around John Marino and Mario Ferraro. Seems like a couple guys around the same age and caliber of player who could use a change of scenery.

Not at all, Marino needs to go for a forward not a worse dman if he is moved

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
"Worse than the Palat deal" is not exactly a ringing endorsement.
Maybe they’re thinking he can age gracefully like Tanev has? He’s still going very strong even after dealing with tons of injuries at 34 and are a similar type not very physical cerebral shut down D.

This deal may not be great, but it’s not “Nikita Zadorov 6x6” bad at least lol.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Worth noting that Marino has a modified NTC that kicks in July 1st. Once it gets kicked in he will have an 8 team no-trade list.

Siegenthaler will also gain a 10 team no-trade list on July 1st.

Hischier gets a 10 team no-trade list and Bratt + Meier both gain full NMCs, but none of those actually matter.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Both of these are horrendous, horrendous ideas, so I doubt they will be doing either of them. RHDs on the left side doesn't work and Fitzgerald was GM when they were last tried here for any significant amount of time. Nemec belongs in the league and demonstrated that last season.
I think them going 4 RD is 100 times more likely than them trading Marino

Reactions: Alex NJD

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I like Pesce as a player, but unless he's giving us a hometown discount I don't really see the fit. Honestly I'm less concerned about the dollars than the term, I'd rather give him an Orlov ($7.75m x 2 years) contract than lock ourselves into a 5-6 year deal with him. I do think we need another quality experienced defender to help insulate the kids (Hughes, Nemec, Casey), with the emphasis on 'quality' as opposed to another Brendan Smith etc.

I assumed this would be achieved by adding an experienced LHD in free agency, but if they don't like the available LHD options and a quality player like Pesce wants to come here for a reasonable price, I can certainly see the logic in adding him and figuring it out later. With Hamilton, Marino, Nemec & Casey it's hard to see how another RHD slots in unless someone can comfortably move to the left-hand side, but with RHD being sought after league wide that's not a bad position to be in; it would almost assuredly be a precursor to another move, I'm sure we could flip Marino for a comparable LHD.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think them going 4 RD is 100 times more likely than them trading Marino

And I think this is incorrect. RHDs cannot play the left side. They tried it with Marino last year during some injuries, Marino basically said 'this is awful' and he was bad at it. If they get Pesce, they're trading someone, and the most likely guy is Marino. Which would be a shame because I think Marino is still really underrated and undervalued and can bounce back from last season.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
There is no reason to believe this
There is less reason to believe they’re going to trade Marino who they like, to replace him with an older more expensive player.

Fitz supposedly wanted to bring in a top 4 dman. I don’t think that meant he wanted to get rid of one too. If the Pesce stuff is true he may have identified him as the best available option and doesn’t think the handiness matters that much.

I don’t think it’s a great idea but I also don’t think it’s likely it means they’re shopping Marino.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Maybe they’re thinking he can age gracefully like Tanev has? He’s still going very strong even after dealing with tons of injuries at 34 and are a similar type not very physical cerebral shut down D.

This deal may not be great, but it’s not “Nikita Zadorov 6x6” bad at least lol.
I mean, sure. It could be worse if you sign a different player to an even worse deal.

Or you could just not sign a bad deal in the first place.

He could age like Tanev. Or he could age like many other defensemen do into their 30s.

Tanev's deal was also pretty reasonable on AAV and term. Pesce's will not be.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
The way I see this coming about is if Pesce explicitly told his agent he wants to come to us and is willing to take a little less to do it. That's where I could see us being interested and making the handedness work. That's also the scenario where this could actually be a good move.

I'd personally still rather invest more heavily at forward than D, but we're priced into adding at least one defender now so I guess might as well make it a decent one if there are no cheap options.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
And I think this is incorrect. RHDs cannot play the left side. They tried it with Marino last year during some injuries, Marino basically said 'this is awful' and he was bad at it. If they get Pesce, they're trading someone, and the most likely guy is Marino. Which would be a shame because I think Marino is still really underrated and undervalued and can bounce back from last season.
Agree to disagree. He wanted a top 4 Dman. Not at the expense of another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad