Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's a fair point, but people have seemed to speak highly of how Keefe has deployed his defensive units over the years so perhaps he benefits similarly. Which is also why I was inclined to run it back with the defensemen we already have. I feel Siegs and Marino will benefit and bounce back nicely, but if this move lead to flipping Marino for a forward of some kind while we still pursued another LD, how can I argue against it?

I can't really cement my feelings on it until it becomes reality and I see where we stand afterwards.

I mean you can argue against it based on the contracts and ages.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ
Yeah I mean the guy has been in the literal perfect defensive environment. Like he’s good for sure but I don’t see the point in taking the risk to find out just how good he is given the age and contract

We would need to see the contract, but if the contract is reasonable (which I didn’t realize he’s from Tarrytown and played youth hockey in NJ for the Avalanche - maybe a slight hometown discount?) and Marino can get shipped out for a decent forward piece…that would be a win. But yeah, there’s a lot of risk and things that would need to nicely fall in place for this all to be worth it.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
No idea how Pesce would work cap or roster wise but I do have to say I’m really behind the pieces that Fitzgerald is targeting this off-season.

Dillon and Pesce are the exact players the Devils should be targeting to compliment Luke/Nemec with Hamilton already on the team.

Feels like this has to mean moving Marino before his NTC kicks in though.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Yep. Having "fine" players on exorbitant deals is, in fact, actually not good.
6-7M is by no means exorbitant in todays NHL. That's a pretty standard rate for low end #2/high end #3 guy.

Look at Severson, Hronek, Fowler, Ekholm. The cap is about to explode, it's not that big of a number. Term would be the bigger issue.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
If they’re replacing anyone on the right side, it should be Dougie. He’s older, more expensive, and plays a role where we have alternatives (pp qb).

We need more PK and more defensive D, not less. Getting rid of Marino makes no sense.

I don't see them replacing him anytime soon, unless he physically can't play. It's not a good look to trade these players who actually want to come here as a ufa.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Marino probably has pretty good trade value but what does it say that two teams have given up on him? He is soft, and doesn’t provide enough in the offensive game to be that soft. If Marino and Holtz gets you Rutger +, just do it.
What? One team I guess gave up on him. Who the hell said we’ve given up on him?

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
We would need to see the contract, but if the contract is reasonable (which I didn’t realize he’s from Tarrytown and played youth hockey in NJ for the Avalanche - maybe a slight hometown discount?) and Marino can get shipped out for a decent forward piece…that would be a win. But yeah, there’s a lot of risk and things that would need to nicely fall in place for this all to be worth it.

When you at Severson getting what he got and DailyFaceoff’s projection having Pesce at 6.7x6 that’d have to be a pretty f***ing big discount for me to consider doing this and also Marino would have to fetch a good return. Like I wouldn’t really want to do more than 5.5x4 and that seems like an unreasonable contract to give Pesce based on what he could likely get elsewhere.

I just don’t see the issue in adding just a 3LD and running back the other 5D with the hopes Siegs/Marino bounceback under Keefe. Focus mostly on improving the bottom 6.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

A more updated, full card.

At this point, with too many hypotheticals at the moment, gotta see if it plays out and what the contract ends up being before I feel any particular way about it. But he seems to be a pretty damn good player who people are fearful of getting too big of a contract.

Issue with his card is that most Carolina dmen have a gaudy EV offense % because of how they just pepper the net. I think he's a good player but also paying him on past performances is how the Palat deal happened but that's just the nature of UFA I guess lol

When you at Severson getting what he got and DailyFaceoff’s projection having Pesce at 6.7x6 that’d have to be a pretty f***ing big discount for me to consider doing this and also Marino would have to fetch a good return. Like I wouldn’t really want to do more than 5.5x4 and that seems like an unreasonable contract to give Pesce based on what he could likely get elsewhere.

I just don’t see the issue in adding just a 3LD and running back the other 5D with the hopes Siegs/Marino bounceback under Keefe. Focus mostly on improving the bottom 6.

It screams Fitz feels his seat getting hotter and Keefe can finally getting a say in the defense he wants. I don't hate Pesce but not sure what the legit plan is on the backend if there is one

Reactions: woody footbreaker

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Issue with his card is that most Carolina dmen have a gaudy EV offense % because of how they just pepper the net. I think he's a good player but also paying him on past performances is how the Palat deal happened but that's just the nature of UFA I guess lol

It screams Fitz feels his seat getting hotter and Keefe can finally getting a say in the defense he wants. I don't hate Pesce but not sure what the legit plan is on the backend if there is one
If he plays shutdown defense, I honestly wouldn't care if he put up 5 points all year. We have enough d-men that can put up points.

Reactions: PKs Broken Stick

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The East is weak enough that I see why Fitz wants to push the gas. But I don't know. This team is probably cooking near the back end of Jack's deal with two fully developed 30 min/game d-men, and you're making that period of time more difficult. But even good GMs have their lifespan, I guess.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Assuming Pesce to NJ is true, and assuming the Devils are eager to trade Marino before 7/1, how bad is a Marino-for-Ross Colton trade? Addresses a big positional need for the Devils. Colorado needs an RHD.

(ducks)
The speculation is that if they move Colton, it's because they need the cap space due to the return of landeskog and the nichushkin situation.

If Colton is moved, I assume it's mostly futures based

Reactions: Nubmer6

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Marino was one of the worst defenseman in the entire league last year. Pesce wanting to be a Devil is exciting alone. Feels good to have free agents wanting to sign with us

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
The speculation is that if they move Colton, it's because they need the cap space due to the return of landeskog and the nichushkin situation.

If Colton is moved, I assume it's mostly futures based
Can turn it into a 3 man and whatever future assets we get for Marino we can flip to Colorado for Colton. I’d prefer getting McGroaty though

Reactions: Forge

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I didn't think I was stirring honestly? :dunno:

I'm usually more over the top when stirring aren't I ? I was just speculating.
IMG_6824.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad