Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I mean you can argue against it based on the contracts and ages.

Again, it would depend what flipping Marino would return. But if Pesce is a better player and we can net something we need for Marino, I might be just fine with making these moves at the end of the day. Difficult to say though until we know how it all turns out.

I'm not that worried about an older player vs. younger player in the case of Pesce vs. Marino if Pesce is better as we approach being in win-now mode. We'll see how it plays out.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Also I don’t think Pesce’s a low end 2/high end 3. I think he’s a more a decent 3. Wasn’t Skjei also better than him? We’re going to have to pay Luke and Nemec soon too
I would also consider Pesce more of a 3D now, and there is some risk on him declining further. Canes fans noticed a drop-off this season.

Canes fans consider Skjei better than Pesce now, and IIRC, CAR was interested in bringing Skjei back, the issue was the price. They seem to have already decided they're letting Pesce go 100%.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If you can flip Marino for a winger after signing Pesce and then use #10 for another wing prospect then you're honestly cooking with gas with this roster

Winger trade/10/UFA-Jack-Bratt
Winger trade/10/UFA-Nico-Meier
Palat-Haula-Mercer

Siegs Hamliton
Luke Pesce
X-Nemec

Markstrom

Also I don’t think Pesce’s a low end 2/high end 3. I think he’s a more a decent 3. Wasn’t Skjei also better than him? We’re going to have to pay Luke and Nemec soon too

I rather Skjei than Pesce tbh

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
I would also consider Pesce more of a 3D now, and there is some risk on him declining further. Canes fans noticed a drop-off this season.

Canes fans consider Skjei better than Pesce now, and IIRC, CAR was interested in bringing Skjei back, the issue was the price. They seem to have already decided they're letting Pesce go 100%.
If Pesce is a 3rd pairing defender, half of our defense should be healthy scratches. That’s a ridiculous statement. Way more Hurricanes fans are pissed that he might come to us

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If you can flip Marino for a winger after signing Pesce and then use #10 for another wing prospect then you're honestly cooking with gas with this roster

Winger trade/10/UFA-Jack-Bratt
Winger trade/10/UFA-Nico-Meier
Palat-Haula-Mercer

Siegs Hamliton
Luke Pesce
X-Nemec

Markstrom

I rather Skjei than Pesce tbh

Mercer should be in the top 6. I have a hard time seeing him being as shit as he was last year.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
After watching everyone point and laugh at the Rangers with Goodrow and how they'd need to attach at LEAST 2 second round picks to escape that ALBATROSS HAHAHHHHAAHAH only for him to leave... for... free? I'm tired of working myself up over the cap. The Devils are in a great spot cap wise because of the deals that Nico/Jack/Jesper took. Let's use that space to our advantage.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
If Pesce is a 3rd pairing defender, half of our defense should be healthy scratches. That’s a ridiculous statement. Way more Hurricanes fans are pissed that he might come to us
I literally did not say he was a third pairing defenseman. I said he was a 3D, as in third best defenseman on a team, conventional 2nd pair player.

3D is the standard parlance for this in most hockey circles. A third pairing player would be a 5D or 6D.

Reactions: Hisch13r

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
After watching everyone point and laugh at the Rangers with Goodrow and how they'd need to attach at LEAST 2 second round picks to escape that ALBATROSS HAHAHHHHAAHAH only for him to leave... for... free? I'm tired of working myself up over the cap. The Devils are in a great spot cap wise because of the deals that Nico/Jack/Jesper took. Let's use that space to our advantage.

Using 12M in Palat/Pesce is not "using that to our advantage"

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Idk how I feel about paying a 3rd pairing d-man 6 mil / yr. That's a yikes. I don't think it will be too long before Nemec surpasses Pesce, if not already.
It kind of feels like we’re low key trading Severson for Pesce too, after all the hype about oh at least we don’t have that big contract for a borderline top four d-man!

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Using 12M in Palat/Pesce is not "using that to our advantage"
Can you explain to me how signing Pesce has anything to do with Palat?

If Palat has another dud of a season next year, they'll do what every single competing team in the NHL has successfully been able to do for the past few decades: attach a prospect/pick to him and make him go bye bye.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
It kind of feels like we’re low key trading Severson for Pesce too, after all the hype about oh at least we don’t have that big contract for a borderline top four d-man!

Well in that sense, I'd take it. Pesce is much better defensively and right now that's the bigger need.

If Pesce is Fitz solution to the 1st or 2nd LD position...I also don't know what to say to that

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I mean ideally sure he’d have to but you’re not adding 2 guys as good or better than Mercer

Most likely true but with the revolving door of the top 6 wings the past few years, he'll end up back there if he starts on L3 especially if they move Marino for a wing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad