Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
What about them? Hamilton and Pesce are totally complementary RD. Hamilton eats minutes on the PP, Pesce eats minutes on the PK, I don't think the ice time becomes an issue anywhere in this situation.

In the same way that people look at the gap between 2nd and 3rd line totally incorrectly, they also see the gap between 2nd and 3rd pairing defenseman the wrong way. in 2023, the Devils had 5 defenseman average > ~20:00 (Hamilton 21:46, Marino 21:04, Siegenthaler 20:09, Severson 19:57, Graves 19:57).
The distribution of D minutes we had in 2023 was a rarity. More than a rarity a unicorn.

It was ideal in my opinion but virtually impossible to achieve without incredible depth....it was even closer 5v5...we just rolled 3 pairs with very little drop off.

I don't recall us ever having distribution of minutes like that.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The point isn't (and hasn't ever been) "let's sign a bunch of guys and then trade them when we can't afford them". The point has always been "avoiding adding a guy who helps your team dramatically because you're worried about paying him in 4 years" is shortsighted and stupid. The Devils cap is in great shape, Pesce is a great fit, worry about moving Palat when it's time to pay Luke if (not WHEN, IF) it becomes an issue.
The problem is we aren’t in that great of cap shape with everything we are looking to add this off-season. So spending an extra 2M to arguably marginally improve on the best positional area of our team short-term doesn’t make a ton of sense.

I don’t think they intend on getting rid of Marino which is also not a good idea.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I much rather trade Siegs and get Dillon/Zadorov than trade Marino for a Pesce UFA sign but it is what it is considering a team will be more willing to want Marino

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
The distribution of D minutes we had in 2023 was a rarity. More than a rarity a unicorn.

It was ideal in my opinion but virtually impossible to achieve without incredible depth....it was even closer 5v5...we just rolled 3 pairs with very little drop off.

I don't recall us ever having distribution of minutes like that.
Isn't "incredible depth" something worth striving for? Acting like Pesce has no place on this team 2 years from now when Nemec is a star is why I responded to that post.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
So this is going to be the "Summer of Fitz"?

Hmmm.
IMG_5310.jpeg

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Isn't "incredible depth" something worth striving for? Acting like Pesce has no place on this team 2 years from now when Nemec is a star is why I responded to that post.
Absolutely. That's exactly what we should be striving for... it's just hard in a cap world.

I'm totally with you on your point... it's just financially I'm not sure it's possible...I still think we need another 2 or 3 forwards too.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
I wonder who the target will be for the top 6. Feels like signing Pesce would take us out of the running for Debrusk, who I was hoping we’d go after.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
I wonder who the target will be for the top 6. Feels like signing Pesce would take us out of the running for Debrusk, who I was hoping we’d go after.
We would most likely move Marino, so don't think it would impact interest on Debrusk.

Reactions: Zacha37

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Not necessarily. We should still have around 6M to work with and Debrusk may not be in for of if any raise from his current 4M.

Reactions: Zacha37

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
No, you can talk about "we need this" or "we need that." Not saying that shit like "I don't see the point in acquiring X player." as we don't have the entire picture yet. We don't know what the vision is yet. Let the offseason play out. It's June 24th ffs.

"We need this"

It's June 24th ffs

See I can play this game too. There's no point of discussing what we need right now.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think he's probably the Smith replacement. I don't expect him to play as many games as Smith did last year. Unlike Smith, I actually think he'll be penciled in to be the 7th defenseman in a healthy roster, unlike Smith who was rarely a healthy scratch last season, despite being a healthy scratch frequently though the final quarter of the 22-23 season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad