Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
He earned our trust by taking over a team in a good spot and making smart trades and decisions.

I am worried that the mixed up and down results since along with a sense of him feeling like he needs to have success immediately to keep his job has led him to making rashes short-term decisions. Eg. Palat
Still love a lot of what he’s done but I’m a little concerned with where he’s going now, and the continually declining speed of our team to add size and toughness because that’s apparently how you win. Think that’s a pretty common trap that doesn’t work out.

I'm lukewarm on Fitz' job so far, he's done some nice things but also some questionable things. An average gm I suppose?

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'm lukewarm on Fitz' job so far, he's done some nice things but also some questionable things. An average gm I suppose?
I think he’s a smart guy with good vision but I think he’s falling into the typical GM traps and thinking his team has to play a certain way to win.

Bleedred

#FIREDAVEROGALSKI
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Job security Jonas
I said a while ago around the season ending that I really can see us getting rid of one of Marino/Siegenthaler before this season starts. I do think they'd probably rather keep Marino and rather get rid of Siegenthaler, but Siegs has 4 years left on his deal and Marino only has 3. Marino also has the higher ceiling and floor, whereas Siegs with the way he played last year is a throwback to the type of defenseman that has mostly gone extinct or at the very least doesn't have a very important role playing important minutes on a contending team.

Let's see if I'm right.

I also expected one of Daws/Schmid to go in the goalie trade (which was obviously gonna be Markstrom for about 5-6 months now) and they didn't.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
I said a while ago around the season ending that I really can see us getting rid of one of Marino/Siegenthaler before this season starts. I do think they'd probably rather keep Marino and rather get rid of Siegenthaler, but Siegs has 4 years left on his deal and Marino only has 3. Marino also has the higher ceiling and floor, whereas Siegs with the way he played last year is a throwback to the type of defenseman that has mostly gone extinct or at the very least doesn't have a very important role playing important minutes on a contending team.

Let's see if I'm right.

I also expected one of Daws/Schmid to go in the goalie trade (which was obviously gonna be Markstrom for about 5-6 months now) and they didn't.

The 'defensive defensemen' does not exist anymore. Need to be able to make sharp outlet passes under pressure (Siegs cannot, just my opinion). I'm not bright enough to quibble about advanced stats, but Siegenthaler for 1.5 seasons has been mediocre. Only thing helping him is his handedness.

Neither of their contracts matter much. On a human level, I will say, they both deserve to have NHL contracts, but I don't want to be the team paying Siegenthaler anymore. He's not worth anything more than the 3.5-4 he's making, and this is the most he'll ever make. Send him to Ottawa, idc.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The 'defensive defensemen' does not exist anymore. Need to be able to make sharp outlet passes under pressure (Siegs cannot, just my opinion). I'm not bright enough to quibble about advanced stats, but Siegenthaler for 1.5 seasons has been mediocre. Only thing helping him is his handedness.

Neither of their contracts matter much. On a human level, I will say, they both deserve to have NHL contracts, but I don't want to be the team paying Siegenthaler anymore. He's not worth anything more than the 3.5-4 he's making. Send him to Ottawa, idc.
I think he’s capable and he showed that previously. But since extending to me it looks like he’s playing lazy and just throwing pucks places without looking.

theoptimist

Trade Siegenthaler
Apr 22, 2014
I think he’s capable and he showed that previously. But since extending to me it looks like he’s playing lazy and just throwing pucks places without looking.

He gets bullied in the corners regularly. Is it lazy or incompetence? John Marino has a much better risk/reward ratio than Siegs. The team is shorthanded when Siegs on the ice, it's pathetic. Was a little sad about Bahl, because I KNOW he'll be better than Siegenthaler. Could be as soon as next year.

Reactions: Captain3rdLine

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He gets bullied in the corners regularly. Is it lazy or incompetence? John Marino has a much better risk/reward ratio than Siegs. The team is shorthanded when Siegs on the ice, it's pathetic. Was a little sad about Bahl, because I KNOW he'll be better than Siegenthaler. Could be as soon as next year.
I think it’s laziness. He was great at some point and completely capable. Since his extension it looks like he’s taken his foot off the gas and makes a lot of lazy plays.

Reactions: theoptimist

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I wonder if there’s a chance we carry 8 dmen this year. Toronto always seemed to have 15 NHL dmen on their roster under Keefe

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
DeSimone is back? Okay now we can trade Marino and bring in Pesce. Net positive in Italians
The 2024 New Jersey Devils defense

1719261107397.png

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Love Pesce, would love to have him but:

-This means Marino is gone (I'm okay with that, I think he'll bounce back but Pesce is much better)
-You need to have an exit strategy for Dougie's contract within the next 2 years
-Certainly makes the defense better but you still need to make a move on the left side

Still would be a great add but there are a few other moves we would need to make to accommodate this add.

Paying the older guy for term and 2-2.5+ mil over Marino certainly is a choice… If it’s a short deal then fine. If it’s long this is stupid.
Canes fans also seem to think he's lost a step.

Would be a perplexing move IMO. Not necessarily a clear upgrade and you lock yourself into a more expensive, longer-term deal. I get that Marino would be moved to upgrade elsewhere, I just don't see the point.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
Brett Pesce is a clear upgrade on John Marino lol.

Hes a very good PKer, very good defensive Dman who also checks the box of making us tougher to play against. Doesnt lay hits like that, but great at clearing the crease / blocking shots

Not to mention Marino can be used to upgrade another position / gain assets

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
Canes fans also seem to think he's lost a step.

Would be a perplexing move IMO. Not necessarily a clear upgrade and you lock yourself into a more expensive, longer-term deal. I get that Marino would be moved to upgrade elsewhere, I just don't see the point.
Just about a month ago... those same fans were talking about how their D fell apart AFTER his injury in the playoffs

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
Stats tell a different picture. First is 21-22 and the second is this past year, two years older.
I'm confused... what's that supposed to be telling me? Are we expecting him to come and be Luke? What's that have to do with his play in the playoffs?

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

A more updated, full card.

At this point, with too many hypotheticals at the moment, gotta see if it plays out and what the contract ends up being before I feel any particular way about it. But he seems to be a pretty damn good player who people are fearful of getting too big of a contract.
We need good defensive players. Pesce is that. Clock is ticking but the window is open with lots of youth. Contracts get moved when needed. I’d be happy with Pesce, just don’t make it too extreme of a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad