Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I mean, sure. It could be worse if you sign a different player to an even worse deal.

Or you could just not sign a bad deal in the first place.

He could age like Tanev. Or he could age like many other defensemen do into their 30s.

Tanev's deal was also pretty reasonable on AAV and term. Pesce's will not be.

f*** I’d rather sign Tanev right now than Pesce. He’s a better player and will be on a more reasonable deal.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
And I think this is incorrect. RHDs cannot play the left side. They tried it with Marino last year during some injuries, Marino basically said 'this is awful' and he was bad at it. If they get Pesce, they're trading someone, and the most likely guy is Marino. Which would be a shame because I think Marino is still really underrated and undervalued and can bounce back from last season.
They can if they are used to playing the off side, most aren’t in this day and age. I don’t know if any on the Devils roster have done it with success.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
The way I see this coming about is if Pesce explicitly told his agent he wants to come to us and is willing to take a little less to do it. That's where I could see us being interested and making the handedness work. That's also the scenario where this could actually be a good move.

I'd personally still rather invest more heavily at forward than D, but we're priced into adding at least one defender now so I guess might as well make it a decent one if there are no cheap options.

Completely agree on looking more up front. I don’t really have an appetite for adding more than a 3LD and adding like 3 guys up front

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I mean, sure. It could be worse if you sign a different player to an even worse deal.

Or you could just not sign a bad deal in the first place.

He could age like Tanev. Or he could age like many other defensemen do into their 30s.

Tanev's deal was also pretty reasonable on AAV and term. Pesce's will not be.
I’m not defending the deal if it’s as high as some of the projections. I said it would be crap. I’m assuming it won’t be given that we’re not exactly wanting for RHD. Not sure why we’d back ourselves into a corner with the cap unnecessarily. Although moving Dougie could be a pretty easy out if we retain a small portion.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Assuming Pesce to NJ is true, and assuming the Devils are eager to trade Marino before 7/1, how bad is a Marino-for-Ross Colton trade? Addresses a big positional need for the Devils. Colorado needs an RHD.

(ducks)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
The way I see this coming about is if Pesce explicitly told his agent he wants to come to us and is willing to take a little less to do it. That's where I could see us being interested and making the handedness work. That's also the scenario where this could actually be a good move.

I'd personally still rather invest more heavily at forward than D, but we're priced into adding at least one defender now so I guess might as well make it a decent one if there are no cheap options.

Tire of BBQ and wants good old fashioned pizza and bagels.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I’m not defending the deal if it’s as high as some of the projections. I said it would be crap. I’m assuming it won’t be given that we’re not exactly wanting for RHD. Not sure why we’d back ourselves into a corner with the cap unnecessarily. Although moving Dougie could be a pretty easy out if we retain a small portion.

Because the GM is feeling the heat clearly and what he's said in press conferences all year, this is the exact opposite of how you want Fitz to deal with the offseason.

Reactions: woody footbreaker

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Played youth hockey with him, he comes from the nicest family. Never was the most talented kid (well atleast in ages 13-16) but he worked his ass off.

Family are all Ranger fans, dont think that really matters anymore but he grew up and played hockey in Jersey

Would be ECSTATIC
Very cool.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
If the contract is shorter, I'm with you. If we're talking UFA RD to replace Marino, Tanev is the best one out there.
I like the Tanev idea but he's got to want to come here also.

Pesce could be a point in his career where playing in front of family and friends is a little more important to him ?

Reactions: Rhodes 81

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Lol. Successful Dmen on a bottom 10 team that gave up the 6th most goals in the league?

That's like when Adam Henrique was our most successful forward in 2015.
Sure, team wasn’t successful. But benching Nemec to “improve the defense” is like benching Bratt because the offense didn’t score well enough.

It’s not fixing the problem.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
FullSizeRender.gif

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sure, team wasn’t successful. But benching Nemec to “improve the defense” is like benching Bratt because the offense didn’t score well enough.

It’s not fixing the problem.
I don't want to argue about it...

but I don't think Nemec had as good of a showing as most you believe he did...I don't think management does either.

Edit: he's obviously an important piece for our future but there is a lof of cleaning up that needs to occur in my opinion.

Nocashstyle

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2009
NJ

A more updated, full card.

At this point, with too many hypotheticals at the moment, gotta see if it plays out and what the contract ends up being before I feel any particular way about it. But he seems to be a pretty damn good player who people are fearful of getting too big of a contract.

I agree. I guess the one rebuttal would be that it seems like every Canes defenseman seems to look great (eye-test at least, not sure what their underlying numbers look like). I guess it’s difficult to know how much he benefited from the Canes system until you take him out of it and see for yourself.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I agree. I guess the one rebuttal would be that it seems like every Canes defenseman seems to look great (eye-test at least, not sure what their underlying numbers look like). I guess it’s difficult to know how much he benefited from the Canes system until you take him out of it and see for yourself.

Yeah I mean the guy has been in the literal perfect defensive environment. Like he’s good for sure but I don’t see the point in taking the risk to find out just how good he is given the age and contract

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

It's a fair point, but people have seemed to speak highly of how Keefe has deployed his defensive units over the years so perhaps he benefits similarly. Which is also why I was inclined to run it back with the defensemen we already have. I feel Siegs and Marino will benefit and bounce back nicely, but if this move lead to flipping Marino for a forward of some kind while we still pursued another LD, how can I argue against it?

I can't really cement my feelings on it until it becomes reality and I see where we stand afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad