Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
He was almost back at the end of the season so most likely.
He was almost back? I don't remember that?

I just watched his exit interview and seemed pretty somber. And seemed pretty deceptive/noncommittal when asked if he would have been ready for the playoffs

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
What could we speculate a Marino trade to look like/who would be interested? Adding a player like Colton in a swap would make sense for us but since he’s supposed to be a cap casualty for the Avs, not sure how it would work

Vancouver liked him in the past; Their GM Patrik Allvin came from Pittsburgh. But they may end up extending Tyler Myers instead.

Just looking at RHD depth around the league and a few teams stick out: Anaheim-Utah-Seattle-Winnipeg-Buffalo-Ottawa-Toronto.

Utah's got approximately a bazillion draft picks, so I'm expecting them to cash some of those in to add to their blue line. I thought they made natural trade partners with Vegas. On top of having no defensemen signed, Utah had already dealt two of its primary PK D from last year (Dumba/Stecher). They could be a fit for Marino.

Avs have Makar-Manson making a decent chunk on the right side, so they probably can't fit a 4+ mil contract on the 3rd pair.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
He was almost back? I don't remember that?

I just watched his exit interview and seemed pretty somber. And seemed pretty deceptive/noncommittal when asked if he would have been ready for the playoffs

I don’t remember that well to be honest I could be wrong.

But unless Dougie is gonna be out for 18 months or so his injury isn’t likely relevant at least cap wise

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
So if this is true

Did Carolina let us talk to him? And if so may there be a trade before UFA for his rights? Otherwise I’m not quite sure why they would unless they just wanted to figure if he was an option to return sooner than later.

I also wouldn’t assume Marino’s gone.

Is this a smart move if he’s a Marino replacement?
Using up potentially 2M or more in cap space and more term on a player that’s 3 years older and entering his 30s. And I feel like Marino had a good chance of bouncing back.
Seems like a poor use of cap space given how much we have and the other areas that need to be addressed.

We’ll see what happens but I’m not convinced this is even true yet.

Fully agree but Dougie has a full NMC still and who is gonna trade for him?

I’d much rather be adding a good defensive 3LD and betting on Siegs/Marino bounceback under Keefe than sending either out to add a more expensive older player.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Eh new guys always get me excited., but I don't really see how Pesce fits here and he will be 30 next year. A 3 year deal like the Orlov deal would be fine I guess.

I really would just put stock in a Marino bounceback under Keefe.

Yeah an Orlov deal if you can get back good value for Marino is the only way this makes any sense to me. Like Marino in a deal for McGroarty and Pesce on a short deal sounds great. I think Pesce gets term and nooooooo thanks.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
no they changed it back to not have a window beforehand but doesn't mean teams/agents can talk about it in the abstract
I mean it means they technically aren’t supposed to talk about it at all. Certainly not to the point where it’s being broken as likely a week before.

Nemec isn't getting pushed out of the lineup lol. They'll have someone play their off-hand. C'mon people.
Probably right but I’ve seen more surprising things happen

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Wondering out loud, do we think the team might simply choose to go into the year with 4 RHD penciled into the top 6? Plenty of teams do that the other way around. Replacing Bahl with Pesce and figuring it out still seems like an upgrade on paper.
He's almost going to be a year removed from injury by the regular season
Dumba is a similar profile of D who had a similar injury and totally derailed his career even after returning. I think Hamilton is starting from a higher floor to begin withy, but this is a legitimate concern.
If they’re replacing anyone on the right side, it should be Dougie. He’s older, more expensive, and plays a role where we have alternatives (pp qb).

We need more PK and more defensive D, not less. Getting rid of Marino makes no sense.
I'm not as convinced Hamilton is replaceable right now after watching our PP flounder and over game without him last year, but I could see them choosing to cash out now while he would still return actual assets than paying someone to take him in 3 years.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Even if it’s not Marino going out then that means Siegs. Yes Siegs had a nightmare year last year but I’d still be betting on the bounceback under Keefe than adding a guy to make double his money in his 30s and push someone to play their off side.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I very much doubt Marino’s on the way out. Think them playing 4RD or Nemec being pushed out of the lineup is more likely.
Marino has a NTC coming up and RHD with term will have value. They can think Pesce even with an increase on the cap + whatever the Devils get back for Marino is more valuable going forward than just Marino. Nemec is going to be a mainstay regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad