Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Love Pesce, would love to have him but:

-This means Marino is gone (I'm okay with that, I think he'll bounce back but Pesce is much better)
-You need to have an exit strategy for Dougie's contract within the next 2 years
-Certainly makes the defense better but you still need to make a move on the left side

Still would be a great add but there are a few other moves we would need to make to accommodate this add.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

-This means Marino is gone (I'm okay with that, I think he'll bounce back but Pesce is much better)
-You need to have an exit strategy for Dougie's contract within the next 2 years
-Certainly makes the defense better but you still need to make a move on the left side

Still would be a great add but there are a few other moves we would need to make to accommodate this add.
Can Nemec play the left side at all (or Marino for that matter)? That's the only realistic way I see them adding Pesce and not offing Marino.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009

Signing Pesce who is a nice upgrade, for FREE AND getting assets for Marino seems brilliant on Fitz's part.

megajake

Aug 24, 2009
Well let's wait and see how 'free' that contract actually is and what we actually get back for Marino first lol
True, the contract could be gross. But we do need our defense to get better and this is a step in the right direction. I think Marino should have decent value as a RHD with term/age.

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
True, the contract could be gross. But we do need our defense to get better and this is a step in the right direction. I think Marino should have decent value as a RHD with term/age.
The contract isn't gross if it replaces Dougie who is still not healthy.

Reactions: tailfins

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I need to know...Is Dougie 100%?

It's a fair concern. I'd assume he is just because how long it's been since the injury but I don't think we have any confirmation. And even if he is 100% who knows how his play will be impacted afterwards.

Pesce is still a very good player and would be a good addition regardless, but that'd be a lot of money tied up in what may potentially be our 3 & 4 defensemen behind Luke and Nemec, assuming they keep progressing as expected.

Zacha37

Dec 8, 2016
What could we speculate a Marino trade to look like/who would be interested? Adding a player like Colton in a swap would make sense for us but since he’s supposed to be a cap casualty for the Avs, not sure how it would work

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
If they’re trading anyone, it should be Dougie. He’s older, more expensive, and plays a role where we have alternatives (pp qb).

We need more PK and more defensive D, not less. Getting rid of Marino makes no sense.
Pesce would fill Marino's role. What Hamilton can do cannot be replicated by Marino and he's more than just a PPQB he dramatically affects the game 5v5 as well. Nemec can take on more of a PK role next season as well.

Kind of concerned about the potential Pesce contract though but he's from around the area so maybe there'll be a discount

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
If they’re replacing anyone on the right side, it should be Dougie. He’s older, more expensive, and plays a role where we have alternatives (pp qb).

We need more PK and more defensive D, not less. Getting rid of Marino makes no sense.

I'd honestly be okay with this route too. I love big Doug but with Luke and Nemec, and to a lesser extent Casey, up and coming it may be our best option. While he's coming off a big injury he also had a heck of a season the year prior and may still have some good value left around the league.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
So if this is true

Did Carolina let us talk to him? And if so may there be a trade before UFA for his rights? Otherwise I’m not quite sure why they would unless they just wanted to figure if he was an option to return sooner than later.

I also wouldn’t assume Marino’s gone.

Is this a smart move if he’s a Marino replacement?
Using up potentially 2M or more in cap space and more term on a player that’s 3 years older and entering his 30s. And I feel like Marino had a good chance of bouncing back.
Seems like a poor use of cap space given how much we have and the other areas that need to be addressed.

We’ll see what happens but I’m not convinced this is even true yet.

If they’re replacing anyone on the right side, it should be Dougie. He’s older, more expensive, and plays a role where we have alternatives (pp qb).

Fully agree but Dougie has a full NMC still and who is gonna trade for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad