Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I just talked about it in a bunch of other posts but it’s a perfectly reasonable discussion.

Jim compared his value to Lundell’s. If we were offered Lundell for 10th overall, would that be a slam dunk no questions asked yes for you?

Hughes- Hischier-Lundell down the middle for the next decade??

Yes. Gimme. Now.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Hughes- Hischier-Lundell down the middle for the next decade??

Yes. Gimme. Now.
I mean apart from the fact that Nico has 3 years on his contract so saying the next decade is far from a guarentee, you’ve kind of swayed away from the point of the question.

It’s about value. A 10th overall pick may have comparable value to Lundell and even Mercer which is all I said originally. The value of certain players and positions is gonna vary per team (eg. Lundell being a center which would be very nice for us)

Out of curiosity, trying to put bias aside, would you trade Mercer for Lundell?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
I mean apart from the fact that Nico has 3 years on his contract so saying the next decade is far from a guarentee, you’ve kind of swayed away from the point of the question.

It’s about value. A 10th overall pick may have comparable value to Lundell and even Mercer which is all I said originally. The value of certain players and positions is gonna vary per team (eg. Lundell being a center which would be very nice for us)

Out of curiosity, trying to put bias aside, would you trade Mercer for Lundell?

I'd have to think very long and hard (oh behave) about it.... and I love Mercer. It's so easy to forget how young he is and what he's proved already in such a young career.

I'm a huge believer in building around centres. To me, they are the critical to a teams success.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Lundell is having a good playoff but is a 30 point player last 2 years. Mercer still clears for now
Lundell hasn't gotten the ice time Jarvis or Mercer have gotten. He's was 15:23 this year

Jarvis was a top 3 forward forward for Carolina in ATOI this season.

A lot of the differences between these three is usage/opportunity

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I don't anchor much to last year. Beyond the goaltending, it was pretty much exactly how I figured Ruff's tenure would end and we were never going to win with him. I expect Mercer to be much better with Keefe, along with everyone else.

I will say if he doesn't grow much from here, that would be a terrible outcome. I guess what I'm saying is that I'd like to see him permanently surpass Coleman, Lekhonen, etc. - that kind of player - but he still needs a lot of work.

Reactions: RANDOMH3RO

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Al Trautwig one was gold too... I haven't seen that account here in a long time though.
I remember that poster, but I don’t remember them sneaking a Trautwig reference into most of the posts.

I do remember the avatar of Trautwig and “Throaty roar” in the user title.

I suppose this is a good time to bring it JackedDevilsFan as one of my favorites from way back in the day. He had a picture of his massive bicep in his avatar, and offered to protect any Devils fans who would be in attendance in Philly for the playoff games in 2012. He even pointed himself out in a picture in the crowd.

And he caught a lot of heat for his 2012 off-season proposal to let Parise walk, sign Suter (isn’t that funny?) trade for Wideman (Dennis) and trade Larsson.

He may have even been calling to trade for Shea Weber. I can’t remember that for sure though.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Does trading Marino and signing Pesce or Tanev move the needle at all? I guess maybe since Marino would bring back assets or NHL players, but you really can't be doing trades like that hoping a free agent is going to sign with you because you are f***ed if you strike out.

LD is still the much bigger issue

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Does trading Marino and signing Pesce or Tanev move the needle at all? I guess maybe since Marino would bring back assets or NHL players, but you really can't be doing trades like that hoping a free agent is going to sign with you because you are f***ed if you strike out.

Would be an awful decision. I believe Marino will bounce back and Pesce and Tanev will likely get bad contracts.

Agreed, LD is what we need to address.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ

I don’t think there is much evidence that Pesce is even a better player. Certainly not when you factor in age and contract.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

Thats like the ultimate fantasy/video game move.

Trade Marino to a team desperate for RD like Buffalo for Peterka.
Then sign his replacement for free/overpay salary.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
In terms of Mercer's value, I'd say he's worth more than #10. Some recent comparable trades were in 2022 where #13 was moved twice on draft night for Romanov and then Dach. I'd say Mercer is more well established than either player was when they were moved. Same age as Romanov, same contract status as Dach

All this is very theoretical.

If we were capped, and had to move Mercer for futures, it’s tough to get anything better than #10 and easily could get a package of worse picks.

DeBrincat got the #7 & #39 at 2022 draft, plus a 2024 3rd, because there was a nonplayoff team that wanted to do a big trade for him and Chicago wanted high picks for a rebuild.

Trading him for McGroaty is still nonsensical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad