Devils discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
If McGroarty has more value than Casey it's based only on draft pedigree and size, not on actual performance to date. Casey had a more impressive season at a more important position.
Casey is a small defenseman which is a big downgrade for him. I'm also not sure if Casey had more impressive season than McGroarty. I mean, McGroarty had 52 points in 36 games, and he brings a lot of other elements to the game than points. So as I said earlier, agree to disagree.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
would you trade Mercer for McGroarty+? Mercer and McGroarty feel a little mutually exclusive. Not that more players = bad, but it’s a weird use of assets to acquire a right wing

I wouldn’t.

McGroarty’s skating has always been a weakness for him, people here are ignoring that and penciling him in our top 6.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
would you trade Mercer for McGroarty+? Mercer and McGroarty feel a little mutually exclusive. Not that more players = bad, but it’s a weird use of assets to acquire a right wing
I’d want to squeeze Ehlers out of them too and make it a massive trade. If it’s like the Cutter Gauthier situation, they aren’t getting anything near Mercer in return for McGroarty alone I’d imagine.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Not really interested at all in giving up a 10th overall for an NCAA winger that's 5th on his team in goal scoring.
4th in goals per game and had terrible puck luck this year while leading the team in shots. The year prior he was 3rd while shooting over 15%.

Attachments

• IMG_3249.jpeg
    IMG_3249.jpeg
    226.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3248.jpeg
    IMG_3248.jpeg
    220.8 KB · Views: 2

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards

I would not be upset at such a trade but I would not do it. I think it's easy to fall into the trap of only evaluating McGroarty on the high end side of what he could be.

I'm okay with moving 10 for him because I've gotten to see 2 more years of development from him and I have a full ELC to work with. I have a little bit more information with McGroarty having faced college competition and playing well so it makes me feel a little more secure in what I'm getting versus the guys that we would take at 10 this year. I'm basically just taking out the two years of initial development which is fine with me.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
If McGroarty has more value than Casey it's based only on draft pedigree and size, not on actual performance to date. Casey had a more impressive season at a more important position.

You'll always have people that will be concerned about a guy like Casey's NHL future until he's out there doing it. People get nervous about smaller d-men. I think Hutson deals with that a bit as well. For that reason, I do believe that most people would prefer to have McGroarty before seeing them both at the NHL level, but it's very possible that Casey is just a flat out better hockey player. We see those guys get overlooked because of their size all the time.

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
Small sample size but he was terrific at the WJC and inflicted his size on the opposition consistently. Casey would be my first option to trade for him, then Marino then the 10th.
you value John Marino more than you value Seamus Casey? That's surprising considering the season he just put together, and the fact that he has a NMC that kicks in 8 days from now.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Your value as a prospect doesn’t just come from your performance. It comes from your projectability, full skillset and attributes, and how good you’re expected by scouts to be at the NHL level. Not a chance in hell Casey is as valuable as McGroarty. Doesn’t mean you have to agree or think he’s better than Casey.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I trade the 10th and Holtz for Mcgroarty before anything else. Not mercer, marino, or Casey
With all due respect, the 10th overall pick alone is far more valuable than Casey. Maybe Marino too with his contract and the season he had and arguably even Mercer unless you’re confident he bounces back big.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
This season’s for @Maine Fan , stay strong there sir!

No idea if your name is strictly for U of Maine or the state itself, but Maine is one of my favorite places on Earth. So whatever your affinity to Maine is, feeling is mutual. :)
I lived in Carrabassett Valley, Maine, that is where Sugarloaf Mountain is located. I downhill skied every day for 100 days a year for 23 years. I fished, hunted, hiked, snow shoed, drank beer and loved life there.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I lived in Carrabassett Valley, Maine, that is where Sugarloaf Mountain is located. I downhill skied every day for 100 days a year for 23 years. I fished, hunted, hiked, snow shoed, drank beer and loved life there.
Skiing for that long and that often… any tips for maintaining knee health longevity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad