A guide to the competitive stage each team is at

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
I thought this would be useful for a new NHL fan who wonders where each team is heading at currently.

Contenders - Trending up
- Colorado
- Edmonton
- Rangers
- Vancouver

Contenders - middle of the wave
- Toronto
- Florida
- Dallas
- Nashville
- Vegas

Contenders - Trending down
- Tampa
- Boston
- Carolina

Trying to stay competitive but not strong enough to contend
- Winnipeg
- Los Angeles
- Seattle

Direction of the team unclear (trying to stay average?)
- Islanders
- St. Louis
- Minnesota
- Columbus

Trending down - Should start a rebuild but aren't in a position to do so
- Washington
- Pittsburgh
- Calgary

Rebuild over and trending up
- New Jersey
- Detroit
- Utah
- Buffalo
- Ottawa

Late stages of a rebuild
- Montreal
- Anaheim

Early stages of a rebuild
- Philadelphia
- San Jose
- Chicago

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I thought this would be useful for a new NHL fan who wonders where each team is heading at currently.

Contenders - Trending up
- Colorado
- Edmonton
- Rangers
- Vancouver

- Toronto
- Florida
- Dallas
- Nashville
- Vegas

- Tampa
- Boston
- Carolina

- Winnipeg
- Los Angeles
- Seattle

- Islanders
- St. Louis
- Minnesota
- Columbus

- Washington
- Pittsburgh
- Calgary

- New Jersey
- Detroit
- Utah
- Buffalo
- Ottawa

Late stages of a rebuild
- Montreal
- Anaheim

- Philadelphia
- San Jose
- Chicago

How is Columbus “staying average”recently and not in any of the rebuild categories?

2023-24
IMG_8271.jpeg

2022-23
IMG_8272.jpeg

Reactions: hn777

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Columbus is very squarely on the “Late stages of a rebuild” with Anaheim and Montreal. Those three teams have paced each other almost exactly since the Bubble playoffs.

Not exactly. The past 2 years, Columbus signed or traded for veteran players such as Gaudreau, Severson, Gudbranson and Provorov. It failed to bring them any success, but it's not really what rebuilding team usually do. They haven’t been in a "selling more". They are still getting older assets with huge contracts as if there were trying to win now.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Not exactly. The past 2 years, Columbus signed or traded for veteran players such as Gaudreau, Severson, Gudbranson and Provorov. It failed to bring them any success, but it's not really what rebuilding team usually do. They haven’t been in a "selling more". They are still getting older assets with huge contracts as if there were trying to win now.
This is a common misconception. At the late stages of a rebuild, one needs to have quality vets around to shield the kids and give them an environment to develop properly, and those signings were an attempt to do so. They have so far met with mixed success, and Waddell is continuing that stage with a similar but slightly adjusted approach.

It might be easier to say that we're trying to take the next step into that "rebuild over" phase.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024

Contenders - Trending up
- Colorado
- Edmonton
- Rangers
- Vancouver

- Toronto
- Florida
- Dallas
- Nashville
- Vegas

- Tampa
- Boston
- Carolina

- Winnipeg
- Los Angeles
- Seattle

- Islanders
- St. Louis
- Minnesota
- Columbus

- Washington
- Pittsburgh
- Calgary

- New Jersey
- Detroit
- Utah
- Buffalo
- Ottawa

Late stages of a rebuild
- Montreal
- Anaheim

- Philadelphia
- San Jose
- Chicago
How are the Sens trending up? if anything there trending down

Reactions: hn777

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017

Contenders - Trending up
- Colorado
- Edmonton
- Rangers
- Vancouver

- Toronto
- Florida
- Dallas
- Nashville
- Vegas

- Tampa
- Boston
- Carolina

- Winnipeg
- Los Angeles
- Seattle

- Islanders
- St. Louis
- Minnesota
- Columbus

- Washington
- Pittsburgh
- Calgary

- New Jersey
- Detroit
- Utah
- Buffalo
- Ottawa

Late stages of a rebuild
- Montreal
- Anaheim

- Philadelphia
- San Jose
- Chicago
Washington doesn’t want need to rebuild.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Doesn't mean they aren't rebuilding, they've finished bottom 10 in four straight drafts (and picked 6 times in the top 12 in that time). You can question the logic behind spending big money on Gaudreau, Severson and Monahan, but they're rebuilding.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Doesn't mean they aren't rebuilding, they've finished bottom 10 in four straight drafts (and picked 6 times in the top 12 in that time). You can question the logic behind spending big money on Gaudreau, Severson and Monahan, but they're rebuilding.

Call it an accidental rebuild then. Clearly, they didn't sign all those big names with the intention of tanking. They wanted to compete and failed.

Reactions: Cowumbus

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Call it an accidental rebuild then. Clearly, they didn't sign all those big names with the intention of tanking. They wanted to compete and failed.

Almost no team actually "tanks". You could just as easily claim any of Montreal, Anaheim and Philadelphia as wanting to compete and failed. Buffalo, Ottawa, Utah and Detroit too.

You want to call it a misguided or poorly executed rebuild then fine, but they haven't ****ed their cap structure too badly despite some bad contracts and they haven't traded picks or prospects to compete in the present.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
As Sabres fan for the last 30+ years, I would describe Buffalo as in a Sisyphean stage. There is no ending of the struggle, just brief moments where you think you might be coming out of it, only to have the heavy stone go rolling down the hill again. This is our burden. There is no joy, just different levels of pain.
"One must imagine Buffalo fans happy."

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Washington doesn’t want need to rebuild.
I’d say the Caps have been rebuilding for the last two seasons. They’ve sold at the last 2 deadlines and the majority of their player acquisitions are under 30 (Sandin, Strome, Dubois, Chychrun, etc.)

They’re not tanking for picks, but that’s only one type of rebuild.

mr figgles

Mar 24, 2012
Philly is not at the start of a rebuild. They are stuck in a muddy pasture spinning their wheels not going anywhere just and flinging shit everywhere. Not enough high end talent to be a threat. Too much talent to finish low and draft talent. Even when talent falls to them, they pass on it.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
As Sabres fan for the last 30+ years, I would describe Buffalo as in a Sisyphean stage. There is no ending of the struggle, just brief moments where you think you might be coming out of it, only to have the heavy stone go rolling down the hill again. This is our burden. There is no joy, just different levels of pain.
Why is that the case? Is it just bad ownership? There must be more to it than that. Spending money on an NHL team is chump change for most of these billionaires. It probably costs about $120 mil per to run an NHL team with a player payroll of about $80 mil? Even if the team only clears about $2 mil per home date (15k fans at a bit over $100 per ticket and some parking and concessions fees) they probably make about $500k per road date or something? Add in TV and radio and streaming and jerseys and overseas and the team should be able to break even. Buffalo is a loyal fanbase and deserves better. The team has done a nice job recently with its drafting. I think they have talent they just need the young players to commit to team defense and it should get much better.

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada

Contenders - Trending up
- Colorado
- Edmonton
- Rangers
- Vancouver

- Toronto
- Florida
- Dallas
- Nashville
- Vegas

- Tampa
- Boston
- Carolina

- Winnipeg
- Los Angeles
- Seattle

- Islanders
- St. Louis
- Minnesota
- Columbus

- Washington
- Pittsburgh
- Calgary

- New Jersey
- Detroit
- Utah
- Buffalo
- Ottawa

Late stages of a rebuild
- Montreal
- Anaheim

- Philadelphia
- San Jose
- Chicago

I love the list, not everything is perfect but it's a pretty close approximation of what's going on.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
This is a cool idea and I like your list. I would make a few changes (in bold), though. No offense.

Contenders - Trending up
- Edmonton
- Nashville
- Florida

- Toronto
- Dallas
- New Jersey
- Vancouver
- Tampa Bay
- Boston
- NY Rangers
- Colorado

- Carolina
- Vegas

- Los Angeles
- Seattle
- Winnipeg
- NY Islanders
- Minnesota
- Pittsburgh

- St. Louis
- Philadelphia
- Utah
- Washington
- Calgary

- Buffalo
- Ottawa
- Detroit

Late stages of a rebuild
- Montreal
- Anaheim