A guide to the competitive stage each team is at

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I thought this would be useful for a new NHL fan who wonders where each team is heading at currently.

Contenders - Trending up
- Colorado
- Edmonton
- Rangers
- Vancouver

Contenders - middle of the wave
- Toronto
- Florida
- Dallas
- Nashville
- Vegas

Contenders - Trending down
- Tampa
- Boston
- Carolina

Trying to stay competitive but not strong enough to contend
- Winnipeg
- Los Angeles
- Seattle

Direction of the team unclear (trying to stay average?)
- Islanders
- St. Louis
- Minnesota
- Columbus

Trending down - Should start a rebuild but aren't in a position to do so
- Washington
- Pittsburgh
- Calgary

Rebuild over and trending up
- New Jersey
- Detroit
- Utah
- Buffalo
- Ottawa

Late stages of a rebuild
- Montreal
- Anaheim

Early stages of a rebuild
- Philadelphia
- San Jose
- Chicago
Vegas seems to think NJ is a contender ahead of many of these teams.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Vegas seems to think NJ is a contender ahead of many of these teams.
There were a lot of "NJ is gonna win the cup" predictions coming into the 23-24 season. I thought it was ridiculous considering the youth + goaltending. Key injuries and McLeod leaving screwed their playoff hopes but their team is a hell of a lot better this year than last year. Still think the young guys need a few more years to really hit their stride but if Jack Hughes can stay healthy, he's a force.
As soon as I saw Toronto in the same bracket as Florida I stopped reading
Similarly, so many people completely wrote Florida off going into 23-24 due to the injuries to Ekblad and Montour. It was very stupid.

This Toronto team doesn't seem like a cohesive unit of players at all. They'll be good but I don't think they'll be making any real progress in the post season.

UED

May 2, 2021
I think the Avs and Hurricanes just might both miss the playoffs. They have absolutely putrid lineups past their stars. The Avs start every game up 2-0 due to MacKinnon so it might just not be possible for them to miss, would be quite shocking but if anyone can do it it's them if you've seen their lineup.

Barry Tallackson

Mar 4, 2014
Image-1.jpeg

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames are clearly in year 1 of a re-build. Sold off literally half our team, traded our starting goalie, have the most cap space in the league, have multiple 1st rounders for 3 years straight (2 now after the past draft) compounded with even more picks in rounds 2-7.

We haven't even evolved into our worst iteration yet, wait until the McKenna draft when we offload Andersson, Backlund, and Coleman. Oh yes.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
Doing this is so useless it’s like people saying that the Devils were going to make the playoffs last season and they completely shit the bed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad